• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harley :(

Thank you everyone for the vibes hugs and well wishes.

He still hadn't improved so we gave him a syringe feed at midnight then again at 430am.

This morning there was no change so we took him to the emergency vet who said that his temperature was low 34(degrees) instead of 38, he was severely dehydrated,there were hardly any gut sounds, his blood glucose level was high so very much stasis and possible toxicity setting in.

He has been hospitalised and put on a drip/fluids, meds and they will syringe feed every two hours but they have described his condition as critical :(

On the one hand I am relieved and glad that the vets will be giving him the intensive care but on the other I'm wondering if we should have taken him last night.

Also not sure what has caused this - he was eating this time yesterday and very happy in itself and there wasn't anything that seems to have caused it or trigger it other than obviously my stress levels. It's also very unusual that he didnt respond to the treatment we gave him as he normally does which is making think maybe this is something he isn't going to come back from :(

wishing Harley all the best xxxx

Speaking as someone who lost a very dear bun just over a week ago, I can very much relate and emotionally understand everything you feel right now. What you are experiencing is something that goes very much hand in hand with being a responsible pet owner, and that is guilt. In a positive way, this demonstrates your understanding and commitment of being a pet owner. It puts you above and beyond others who fail to appreciate the work and care that you put into every single minute of you looking after Harley.
But in a negitive way, guilt is a very strong emotion - one that we probably wish we could detach ourselves from. We all know and understand just how much guilt makes us look at our decision making. So what you are feeling is perfectly normal.
It is positive that Harley is getting the treatment in the hospital - it will be the right meds and he is in the best of care there whilst they try and make him stable and they can also react far quicker to Harley if they need to. I appreciate that doesn't in any way, alleviate the worry and the stress that you feel right now. You were vigilant with Harley, you reached out on the forum for help when you felt you needed it, and you gave Harley syringe feed last night and through the night. So please don't try to feel that you let Harley down by that because you didn't. You took him straight away to the vet and they are doing all they can to help him.
Rabbits unfortunately will hide their ailments. As prey animals, this is what nature taught them to do. That is why as rabbit carers, we have probably the hardest job when our rabbits are poorly because we have to look for the smallest of signs.
I'm sending you millions of vibes for Harley - and hugs for you. It's not easy being a rabbit carer - and everyone here knows very much how you feel.
Craig x

Did the Vet mention doing an abdominal X-ray, if his BG was 2O+ it would be indicative of an obstruction which would require surgery. I really hope that he will pull through x

Thank you everyone for the continued support.

He has had stasis before as had some of the others and ***normally*** giving them metacam, a gut stimulant and tempting them with something nice (kale/dandolion leaves) has always done the trick hence why we make sure we have the meds in the house.

Harley has previously had an obstruction where he somehow managed to get hold of a plastic bag and eat pretty much all of it and had to have surgery to remove it and it was touch and go whether he would survive.

Ever since that happened many years ago we have been extremely careful and super vigilent to make sure he and us don't go through that again and we've triple checked everything and there is nothing he got hold of.

The vet didn't say what is blood glucose level was and I didn't think to ask, but I wouldn't have thought they would syringe feed him if there was an obstruction as it will make it worse.

Hope that makes sense!

Just spoken to the vet; Harley was only admitted about 12:15pm

Vet said his blood glucose was 18 earlier but has dropped down to 10 now which I'm guessing is a good thing?

Vet has said he's still on the drip, pain meds, antibiotics but that Harley's circulation isn't great at the moment and he is in a poor way.

I understand that it has only been a few hours and it may take a while for things to have an affect but just really hoping everything makes a difference.

Sending lots of a vibes for Harley and hugs for you.

It sounds like he's getting the best care and he's in the right place to support him right now.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Just spoken to the vet; Harley was only admitted about 12:15pm

Vet said his blood glucose was 18 earlier but has dropped down to 10 now which I'm guessing is a good thing?

Vet has said he's still on the drip, pain meds, antibiotics but that Harley's circulation isn't great at the moment and he is in a poor way.

I understand that it has only been a few hours and it may take a while for things to have an affect but just really hoping everything makes a difference.

The fact that his BG has dropped is good news. Obviously he is still very poorly, but hopefully the IV fluids will help his circulation and keep him as stable as possible whilst the meds do their stuff xx

Thank you for the continued vibes.

We got a call at 6pm from the vet advising us Harley had crashed but they managed to bring him back and put him in the oxygen tent and they asked if we wanted to continue treatment or to let him go. We asked whether in the vets opinion what was in Harley's best interests and if it would be cruel to continue the treatment, the vet said it wouldn't be cruel at this stage so we asked that they continue with the treatment.

Vet called about 9pm advising us Harley is still with us and is a little fighter and was looking a bit brighter - they do want to take some more bloods but are worried about the affect this may have on him so they are going to leave it for now and were going to attempt a syringe feed.

I did tell them that Harley can get stressed with syringe feeds so asked them to be careful as we don't want him crashing again.

Everything is majorly crossed!

Thank you for the continued vibes.

We got a call at 6pm from the vet advising us Harley had crashed but they managed to bring him back and put him in the oxygen tent and they asked if we wanted to continue treatment or to let him go. We asked whether in the vets opinion what was in Harley's best interests and if it would be cruel to continue the treatment, the vet said it wouldn't be cruel at this stage so we asked that they continue with the treatment.

Vet called about 9pm advising us Harley is still with us and is a little fighter and was looking a bit brighter - they do want to take some more bloods but are worried about the affect this may have on him so they are going to leave it for now and were going to attempt a syringe feed.

I did tell them that Harley can get stressed with syringe feeds so asked them to be careful as we don't want him crashing again.

Everything is majorly crossed!

I'm so glad he is still with us. fight on little man xx

Hi everyone

Thank you for all the vibes and support.

Sadly he did not make it - the vet called at 130am advising he had crashed again but came back and we wanted to carry on to see if he had enough in him.

At 253am the vet called to advise that he had passed away.

Back