• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Poop

RorysMomma

New Kit
Hi
I have a 6 year old Netherland dwarf, he's basically my child I adore him.
Recently he's been having quite varied poops, for a while they got really small and I changed his hay to pure Timothy hay and tried to make sure he was eating plenty, he always seems hungry for sure. I reduced his pellets a bit but he wasn't having a large amount anyway and other than that he mostly just gets coriander each night. They then started to get really big like double poops but only a few of them. Now they're regular size just seem wetter than usual only on the outside, they're quite dark and feel damp but inside they're still dry and hay-like. Sometimes a little teardrop shaped. I just wondered if that seemed like a concern? I worry constantly and it's so difficult trying to see a vet during lockdown as they're only doing emergencies. All other behaviour seems totally normal, eating, drinking, weeing, running around, seems comfy, super affectionate. So just wanted to check. I have also got him some fibreplex so hopefully that helps if there's anything off in his tum. And I'll add he's drinking quite a lot at the moment but I think that's because of the heating and he's just about starting to shed.
Thank you

Last edited:
Hi
I have a 6 year old Netherland dwarf, he's basically my child I adore him.
Recently he's been having quite varied poops, for a while they got really small and I changed his hay to pure Timothy hay and tried to make sure he was eating plenty, he always seems hungry for sure. I reduced his pellets a bit but he wasn't having a large amount anyway and other than that he mostly just gets coriander each night. They then started to get really big like double poops but only a few of them. Now they're regular size just seem wetter than usual only on the outside, they're quite dark and feel damp but inside they're still dry and hay-like. Sometimes a little teardrop shaped. I just wondered if that seemed like a concern? I worry constantly and it's so difficult trying to see a vet during lockdown as they're only doing emergencies. All other behaviour seems totally normal, eating, drinking, weeing, running around, seems comfy, super affectionate. So just wanted to check. I have also got him some fibreplex so hopefully that helps if there's anything off in his tum. And I'll add he's drinking quite a lot at the moment but I think that's because of the heating and he's just about starting to shed.
Thank you

Sounds as though he was showing signs of reduced gut motility for a while when his poo went very small. Ingesting a lot of fur during a heavy moult would exacerbate that.Then as gut motility improved the much bigger and odd shaped poo was the result.Sometimes after a bout of GI tract hypomotility/ gut stasis some wet poo or clear mucus covered poo may be passed due to inflammation within the GI tract caused by the bout of stasis. But this should not be an ongoing problem. Giving some Fibreplex for 5-7 days is a good idea

Is your Rabbit maintaining his weight ? I would weigh him every 3 days to be sure.Grooming him every day during a heavy moult will minimise how much fur he ingests.

If you can locate any fresh bramble leaves they would be useful to feed, they are of benefit to any Rabbit with GI tract problems.

Some Rabbit poo images !!

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Back