• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to clean disabled rabbits under carriage please

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Dennis has only a small amount of mobility left in one back foot, he drags them and uses the strength in his front paws. I have to feed him his cecos and today he has smooshed ceco in his under belly.

Dennis’s nerves are being pinched by his spine so that’s why they no longer work. Is there a comfortable way I can lift him to get right underneath as I am worrying about holding and hurting him. He has become a hands on bun and definitely appreciates me looking after him.

We have an appointment with uncle John Tuesday so if there is any in particular I could ask for that would improve things for Denny please let me know. He has gained quite a bit of timber considering he is on metacam high dose for life (in relation to weight loss and kidneys etc). He’s still very active and has a great appetite and output.

Thanks everybun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Poor Dennis :(

Idk if this is safe, so maybe wait for other responses, but when Clementine couldn't move both her hind legs I had to do the same, she couldn't drag herself about tho, so she only sat in one spot, so urine scald was a concern, so I used water wipes on her underneath every couple of hours to clean her up, never had any issues, but I didn't have the knowledge on buns that I have now, so Idk if what I did was possibly dangerous or if the wipes residue is toxic? [emoji38] I now worry about everything, but at the time it kept Clementine really clean and comfortable and we had no issues. I used the proper brand water wipes, they're really quite wet so useful for wiping and getting stuff out of fur I found :) (now I've had a baby and used a whole range of baby wipes which are meant to be 99% water like the water wipes, most are not as wet so I doubt they'd be as good)

Anyway I hope you find a solution for him and if anyone thinks that's particularly dangerous or a problem for a rabbit please say [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Idk if this is safe, so maybe wait for other responses, but when Clementine couldn't move both her hind legs I had to do the same, she couldn't drag herself about tho, so she only sat in one spot, so urine scald was a concern, so I used water wipes on her underneath every couple of hours to clean her up, never had any issues, but I didn't have the knowledge on buns that I have now, so Idk if what I did was possibly dangerous or if the wipes residue is toxic? [emoji38] I now worry about everything, but at the time it kept Clementine really clean and comfortable and we had no issues. I used the proper brand water wipes, they're really quite wet so useful for wiping and getting stuff out of fur I found :) (now I've had a baby and used a whole range of baby wipes which are meant to be 99% water like the water wipes, most are not as wet so I doubt they'd be as good)

Anyway I hope you find a solution for him and if anyone thinks that's particularly dangerous or a problem for a rabbit please say [emoji38]

Thankfully Dennis doesn’t have the scalding *yet* but that has reminded me. Uncle J told us to use sudacream on one of my bridge bunnies scald. Surely Dennis would drag it across the hay and would it be safe to ingest? I will wait for confirmation on the wet wipes because I have no idea :lol:

I have been looking online and I genuinely think Dennis would to really well in a wheelchair of some sorts. Is that even possible in the UK?

Yes indeed, please do. I'm normally very anti wipes but bought some of these for Mousey - I can't see water & fruit oil hurting myself. Defo wouldn't use any other wipes. Sometimes when its dried in I have to bathe her bum & one leg. I'm so pleased despite his disabilities Dennis has such a great zest for life & has his Syrup for loves . Hope he gets on well at the vets. Mousey had her old bunny review on Monday

I have been looking online and I genuinely think Dennis would to really well in a wheelchair of some sorts. Is that even possible in the UK?

I think Twigs Way had a wheeled support thing for one of her disabled buns. It would be worth an email to her or if you have plenty of spare time you could scroll through her "parsley piert parcels" Facebook page as I guess that is where I must have seen it
Good luck with Uncle J

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I think Twigs Way had a wheeled support thing for one of her disabled buns. It would be worth an email to her or if you have plenty of spare time you could scroll through her "parsley piert parcels" Facebook page as I guess that is where I must have seen it
Good luck with Uncle J

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks Motty ill have a look and maybe i can ask her

No advice really, but bless little Dennis and his wonky legs, really hope he gets on ok at vets xx

Yes indeed, please do. I'm normally very anti wipes but bought some of these for Mousey - I can't see water & fruit oil hurting myself. Defo wouldn't use any other wipes. Sometimes when its dried in I have to bathe her bum & one leg. I'm so pleased despite his disabilities Dennis has such a great zest for life & has his Syrup for loves . Hope he gets on well at the vets. Mousey had her old bunny review on Monday

Would you mind sharing what ones you are using? I am worried if i pick him up im going to hurt him though everything we have been doing has been based on the floor. His leggies come out sideways if that makes sense, like a semi circle. He really does have a zest and it doesnt really match what he looks like. I would say he is more energtic than Syrup but she is particually lazy. Me and Dennis have come to an agreement where for every time i clean a bit of him he gets a piece of corriander. Its kind of sweet because he knows me washing his eyes and checking his bum means he is in for a snack and he gets excited

I had two disabled bunnies in the past and think a wheeled chair would be a great idea. I used warm water, my fingers to loosen poo and a baby soft washcloth. If needed a soak on the floor in a plastic shoe/sweater box I lined with a small towel for traction with just a little water.

Wheelchairs/ carts can be an option, but if the Rabbit has arthritis in the C and T spine too the use of a cart may not be appropriate

To clean a disabled Rabbit I use a similar method to Bunny momma xx

Wheelchairs/ carts can be an option, but if the Rabbit has arthritis in the C and T spine too the use of a cart may not be appropriate

To clean a disabled Rabbit I use a similar method to Bunny momma xx

Sorry Jane, what is the c & t? xx

Back