• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So im bonding

Have you tried increasing (if you are able to) the amount of space they are living in now? It just might give you an idea on how they react to changes in their environment prior to popping them outside

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Have you tried increasing (if you are able to) the amount of space they are living in now? It just might give you an idea on how they react to changes in their environment prior to popping them outside

They currently have my small bedroom , so I cant increase further, they will be going in a smaller or about the same space in the shed.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I don't mind , I can leave them alone now so it's not tieing me down . . The nights are a bit stressful. as I have the dog on the bed with me, a big barrier up against the bed to stop bunnies jumping on the bed. I feel like I'm in A hospital with The bed sides up. Dollies coat was a worry but I guess it's something that will be happening soon anyway, plus she will hopefully have a snuggler to snuggle into if she's cold. I don't think rabbo has a winter coat his coat seems very soft... It's all temporary. I just wish I could tell the rescue he's mine. I don't want to get attached when nothing is definite so it's difficult for me emotionally..

I think the wait will be worth it. I know how you feel, when I brought Fern home to try with Frosty it was hard not to get attached, and I did do even though it was early days. It seems as though things are working well and I honestly think it’s more likely to work if you can leave them where they are to cement the bond. The bed thing made me :lol: I remember someone who was on here having to put puppy panels round the bed like a cot because bunnies were weeing on the duvet otherwise :lol:

Can i just say this group is amazing. I have had so many ups and down over the years with bunnies and the advice on here has always been non judgemental , honest and friendly. It's good to hear other people's stories it helps so much.
Thank you.

:love: :love::love:

End of day 5 and pretty much the same. He finally managed to hump her and I know he wants grooming but she won't. She seems fed up, or im wondering if I think she is, because I would be. She doesn't retaliate at all , just moves away from him, but they both must be tired. It seems almost like bullying. , when she's eating, drinking, sleeping, he's there grunting at her. I feel like a horrible bunny mum putting her through it because she is so sweet. She had her lovely shed and her runaround and she was happy but alone [emoji853]Nothings changing for the better, I'm wondering if i should be doing something by now to try and help them move forward. Shrinking the space wont help, or making it bigger, he will still only want to honk and mount.. I'm thinking his hormones haven't calmed down yet and as time goes on they will. I'm just waiting for a breakthrough as it's getting on my nerves a little bit now. When I sit on the floor I stop him but I'm unsure If I should even be doing that..
As each day passes I'm losing faith even though I know if i ever separated them now it would be weird because they are bonding in there own way but the mounting is getting in the way of them bonding properly.
I even tried the banana on the head trick so she would groom him but all that happened was he now has a Something About Mary hair doo. [emoji1787]
Tomorrow's another day.

Hang in there, it will get better I'm sure, it just takes time. Try putting the banana on her head to see if he switches to grooming her instead of humping - helped a bit with mine. I just covere them both in it! I also found that spraying my hands liberally with Pet Remedy spray and then wiping it over their faces, ears and backs - especially over her bum - wuickly made them switch to grooming rather than humping. It was like when he went to mount he got a whiff and then set to licking instead. I put it more round her backside, and more round his face, so that he got the bulk of it as he was more the problem.

The mounting IS the bonding I think. Just seems very weird to us!

These are buns, they have their way of getting to know one another. While you might prefer a nice meal out with a peck on the cheek at the end of the evening on your first date, our buns don't have this opportunity. They aren't fighting, so try to give them time.

I think it’s going well. You’ve only been bonding 5 days so it’s still very early days. There’s no aggression there and they are just working out where they are with each other. I know it’s hard when bonding and you just want it to be over and have a bonded pair but it will take time, but I’m sure they will get there.

Hang in there, it will get better I'm sure, it just takes time. Try putting the banana on her head to see if he switches to grooming her instead of humping - helped a bit with mine. I just covere them both in it! I also found that spraying my hands liberally with Pet Remedy spray and then wiping it over their faces, ears and backs - especially over her bum - wuickly made them switch to grooming rather than humping. It was like when he went to mount he got a whiff and then set to licking instead. I put it more round her backside, and more round his face, so that he got the bulk of it as he was more the problem.

The mounting IS the bonding I think. Just seems very weird to us!
Pet remedy is coming today. I hope it calms the little sod down.
I checked to see if he's been neutered, his records say he has, both the rescue and the vets who did it say yes, but 3 years ago I adopted a bunny off them and she was apparently spayed, it turned out she wasnt when she started nesting, it was a good job my boy had been neuteted though, so it kind of makes meva little paranoid..
He was neutered on 18th December so they say.
I read your bonding story and it made me feel better [emoji4] xxx

You're doing so well, really patient. I can understand your frustration though - it'd be nice to just have them sorted completely & get them outside

We are finding the pet remedy diffuser helpful. I'd only used the wipes and spray before which didnt seem to have much affect but it seems the constant release is much better.

Hang in there it sounds like it's all quite positive he just needs to hump himself out a fair bit.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

We are finding the pet remedy diffuser helpful. I'd only used the wipes and spray before which didnt seem to have much affect but it seems the constant release is much better.

Hang in there it sounds like it's all quite positive he just needs to hump himself out a fair bit.

I'm taking him to the vets at 4 just to be double checked that His balls have actually gone, just because I've had bad experiences with the same rescue and vets before. I will order the plug in now. I have budgies so I was in 2 minds about the plug ins as they are sensitive little things but I will check they are safe for them first..
Thanks x

Sounds like a good plan.

It's funny Rodney never humped after his neuter but was very bolshy about everything.

It took him a couple of months to calm but even now he can be pretty bossy!

OMG. She has just been grooming his head. I've noticed a breakthrough with dolly today, she's playing with him, getting him to chase her, not in a nasty manner in a playful manner, she's calmer, he's still mounting her but something is happening as she is interacting with him more instead of hiding and running away. I do have an appt at the vets at 4 to check his balls have actually gone, just so I know for peace of mind as I've had bad experiences before, which has made me slightly paranoid.
Shall I take dolly with him or will this ruin the progress?

Ive just checked them this minute and for the first time ever they are lieing in the tunnel the same way snuggling and he's not mounting her.

Last edited:
Yay! That sounds really good.

Have you got someone who can come with you?

For Rodney's vet trips we took both in the same carrier and they were absolutely fine.

Hubby sat with them on the backseat with a spare carrier so he could transfer one if there was any trouble.

We did advise the vet once we handed them over and let them know we had the spare in case they had any issues putting them back in, in the end as Rodney stayed that part wasnt such a problem.

Sounds like it’s going great :love: how did you get on at the vets?
All good, the vet I seen was the one who neutered him. She remembered him.[emoji4] Today has been a really huge breakthrough , they are really getting settled. Dolly is paying as much attention to him as he is to her ,which for me is a big sign we are moving forward, the mounting is not as intense Last night they were so good all night.

Back