• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mean Casper

My dad brought over some dandelion leaves and Casper's been eating those! Thank you for suggesting that, Zoobec. :)

I've also heard back from the vets and I can increase his Metacam dosage for a couple of days, and also give it twice a day, so I'll do that and hopefully it'll help.

Oh I'm glad he's eating. Sending vibes that the additional metacam and extra tasty leaves do the trick!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Casper hasn't been eating very well at all today. I've been offering him all kinds of things, but he's only eaten some dried forage and one pellet so far. His mouth must be sore from the dental... Yesterday evening he ate quite a lot of veggies, but today he doesn't want any. If he doesn't start eating more soon I think I'll have to syringe feed him again...

poor Casper :( i hope he starts to feel better soon xxxx

just caught up with your thread, poor Casper, I really hope he starts to feel more comfortable soon. Treacle has always been very slow to eat after a dental, and very picky before getting back to eating normally. Sending him lots of vibes xx

I’m glad he likes the dandelion leaves, fingers crossed the metacam will help. I found doing meds and syringe feeds in an unfamiliar room was better.

Hope he feels better soon.
poor Casper :( i hope he starts to feel better soon xxxx
Thank you, tulsi and Mike.

just caught up with your thread, poor Casper, I really hope he starts to feel more comfortable soon. Treacle has always been very slow to eat after a dental, and very picky before getting back to eating normally. Sending him lots of vibes xx
Aw, thank you. Poor Treacle. Casper sometimes needs some time to recover, too, though other times he starts eating right away.

I’m glad he likes the dandelion leaves, fingers crossed the metacam will help. I found doing meds and syringe feeds in an unfamiliar room was better.
Thank you, Zoobec. I think the extra dose of Metacam kicked in a little while ago, because he suddenly started eating and has been eating various things almost non-stop for the past 20 minutes. He seems really hungry all of a sudden! So, that's a massive relief. :D Hopefully he'll keep eating like this. Thank you for the suggestion of trying it in a different room, too. I'll see it that'll help if I have to syringe feed him again.

Last edited:
Thank you, tulsi and Mike.

Aw, thank you. Poor Treacle. Casper sometimes needs some time to recover, too, though other times he starts eating right away.

Thank you, Zoobec. I think the extra dose of Metacam kicked in a little while ago, because he suddenly started eating and has been eating various things almost non-stop for the past 20 minutes. He seems really hungry all of a sudden! So, that's a massive relief. :D Hopefully he'll keep eating like this.

I’m so pleased to see this :love:

I hope that Casper feels less sore and starts to eat a bit more soon. Spurs in the mouth must actually feel really painful :(
I always think it can't be much different to biting the inside of your cheek, but all the time :S Must be awful.

I'm glad Casper's picked up again and hope his upward trajectory continues!

I’m so pleased to see this :love:
Thank you. :love:

I always think it can't be much different to biting the inside of your cheek, but all the time :S Must be awful.

I'm glad Casper's picked up again and hope his upward trajectory continues!
Yes, it must be very similar to that, I bet, or biting your tongue, depending on which way the spurs grow. Both of those things are very painful. :(

Thank you! :)

He's been eating much better since last night, so while I checked on him several times during the night, I didn't syringe feed him. He's still eating very selectively, though, only eating certain greens and some dried forage. He had one pellet this morning and decided he didn't want any more, so it must still be painful to eat those, though he won't eat pellet mush, either. He did eat some very small bits of hay. He ate all the dandelion leaves, too, so I have no more of those left for him. I totally forgot to ask my parents to buy some of those Ella's Kitchen pouches for him, too. He also has been chewing an unusual amount these past few days. On his tunnels, and the legs of his little chairs, and basically anything wooden he can get to. I wonder why he's doing that...

Frosty used to be very selective at what he would eat after dentals. Almost as if he had gone off things he usually ate prior, maybe because they hurt his mouth at the time. Do you have any different hay, grass or ready grass you can try to tempt him with?

Oddly I find Rodney enjoys eating thinish apple and pear sticks straight after a dental. Makes no sense to me but he just eats it like a piece of hay.

If you know anyone with a tree who wouldnt mind donating a few branches to him?

Frosty used to be very selective at what he would eat after dentals. Almost as if he had gone off things he usually ate prior, maybe because they hurt his mouth at the time. Do you have any different hay, grass or ready grass you can try to tempt him with?
That makes sense, I think. If they remember that something hurt to eat, they'd probably not be very eager to start eating it again? I actually do have different hay! I got some new hay delivered today, some long, stalky timothy hay I've been wanting to try (well, that I've been wanting the bunnies to try), and he's been eating that! :love: Oh, and I think I do have some readigrass! I forgot I had that. I'll see if I can find it and if he wants it. :)

Oddly I find Rodney enjoys eating thinish apple and pear sticks straight after a dental. Makes no sense to me but he just eats it like a piece of hay.

If you know anyone with a tree who wouldnt mind donating a few branches to him?

Oh, that's interesting. I did give him a pear twig from my parents' tree on Thursday after his dental, because he was chewing on so much stuff, and he immediately started chewing it, but it wasn't thin enough to really eat, I think. I'll see if I have some thinner ones that he might like to eat.

Really pleased to hear your new timothy hay has arrived & is being enjoyed. It seems like he is edging in the right direction. Boo would normally recover quickly (like instantly:lol:) from a dental but I recall one time it took longer in pretty much the same way it is for Caspar. Lots more vibes for your handsome boy. Are he & Sophie fine together now?

Really pleased to hear your new timothy hay has arrived & is being enjoyed. It seems like he is edging in the right direction. Boo would normally recover quickly (like instantly:lol:) from a dental but I recall one time it took longer in pretty much the same way it is for Caspar. Lots more vibes for your handsome boy. Are he & Sophie fine together now?
Thank you. :) That's great that Boo would normally recover right away after a dental! Maybe she can tell Casper how she does it. :lol: He and Sophie are doing better now, yes. I only saw him chase her once these past few days, and aside from that he's been very nice to her. :love:

Back