• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mean Casper

The good news is that the poops are getting bigger. Not normal yet, but bigger. The bad news is that instead of the walking treat machine he normally thinks I am, I'm now the scary, mean monster who picks him up and puts syringes in his mouth, and he's running away every time I come near. :(

I have another update: He's come up to me to beg for treats several times now, and we've had petting times as well, so I'm still the walking treats and pets machine. :D

Thanks. :love:

I think Sophie might be feeling bad for him. I saw her washing him earlier, and it was actual washing, not just a few licks, and she kept it up for quite a while. I haven't seen her do that in years. It was very sweet. :love:
Aww :love: that’s lovely:love:

Aww, that's great! Aboleth would hold a grudge for a couple of days sometimes (not enough to not come over if Lopsy came first XD), but Lopsy and Chibbs I just have to go away and leave them to their own devices/sulking for an hour and they're back to normal treat-seeking-missile behaviour XD

Thank you, Zoobec and keletkezes. =)

Aww, that's great! Aboleth would hold a grudge for a couple of days sometimes (not enough to not come over if Lopsy came first XD), but Lopsy and Chibbs I just have to go away and leave them to their own devices/sulking for an hour and they're back to normal treat-seeking-missile behaviour XD
Wow, Aboleth could hold an impressive grudge! Sophie is like Lopsy and Chibbs; I just need to leave her alone for a little bit and then she's fine again, haha.

I haven't seen Casper eat much today (but then I've been sleeping most of the day, so that doesn't necessarily mean much) and his poops are still pretty small, so I called the vets and asked if it would be best to postpone his dental until he's doing better, but they said it would be best to just do it tomorrow. I have kind of mixed feelings about it, because I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do it while his guts aren't functioning at their best, but on the other hand, maybe he won't feel better and eat more and have better poops until he has had his dental. :?

Wow, Aboleth could hold an impressive grudge! Sophie is like Lopsy and Chibbs; I just need to leave her alone for a little bit and then she's fine again, haha.
Aboleth was too smart for her own good sometimes XD She knew the carrier was A Bad Thing ater the firsat time I used it and wouldn't go near it if I was anywhere nearby. She'd happily settle in it if no humans nearby though! We didn't give her enough credit for being so smart TBH and that's my only real regret :love:

I haven't seen Casper eat much today (but then I've been sleeping most of the day, so that doesn't necessarily mean much) and his poops are still pretty small, so I called the vets and asked if it would be best to postpone his dental until he's doing better, but they said it would be best to just do it tomorrow. I have kind of mixed feelings about it, because I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do it while his guts aren't functioning at their best, but on the other hand, maybe he won't feel better and eat more and have better poops until he has had his dental. :?
Eurgh, what a quandary. If it were me, I would get the dental over and done with and deal with any 'other' problems later, as it's a big thing and if it is the cause, worth doing it now, and if it isn't, it's ruled out AND he's set for another spell of good teeth-ness. He might need longer to get back to himself if he's a bit of but I think the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

Thank you, Zoobec and keletkezes. =)

I can understand your feelings about Casper's dental when he's not eating normally yet :( It's very difficult, but I guess this is probably quite often the case before a bunny has a dental. On balance I think I would reason that if the dental were postponed, then Casper could actually get himself in a worse state before it was done.

I think if you are confident in your vets it helps too. I hope all goes well tomorrow.

This is the problem we've been facing with Rodney. In the ends we've gone for get his gut going as best we can then have the dental.

So he's on all the drugs and such and seems to be recovering well and then hopefully we'll have a window where everything is normal to do his dental.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Aboleth was too smart for her own good sometimes XD She knew the carrier was A Bad Thing ater the firsat time I used it and wouldn't go near it if I was anywhere nearby. She'd happily settle in it if no humans nearby though! We didn't give her enough credit for being so smart TBH and that's my only real regret :love:

Eurgh, what a quandary. If it were me, I would get the dental over and done with and deal with any 'other' problems later, as it's a big thing and if it is the cause, worth doing it now, and if it isn't, it's ruled out AND he's set for another spell of good teeth-ness. He might need longer to get back to himself if he's a bit of but I think the potential benefits outweigh the risks.
Aw, it does sound like Aboleth was really smart, figuring out so quickly that the carrier was A Bad Thing, but that it was only dangerous to go in there if humans were nearby. What a clever girl. :love:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the dental. What you say makes a lot of sense, and when you put it that way, I think getting the dental done tomorrow is the best idea, too. Your words reassured me some that we're doing the right thing, so I'll keep what you said in mind.

I can understand your feelings about Casper's dental when he's not eating normally yet :( It's very difficult, but I guess this is probably quite often the case before a bunny has a dental. On balance I think I would reason that if the dental were postponed, then Casper could actually get himself in a worse state before it was done.

I think if you are confident in your vets it helps too. I hope all goes well tomorrow.
Yeah, I think you're right. He's been eating less each day since this weekend, so he might just get worse if we wait... He's had dentals before when he wasn't in the best shape and he coped with that just fine, but the vet kept telling me last week and this Monday that it's risky now because of his age and that it's important that he's strong enough for it, so I'm extra, extra nervous this time and worry a lot about him not being strong enough... I am confident in my vets, though, so hopefully it'll be okay. Thank you for telling me what you think and for hoping it'll go well tomorrow.

This is the problem we've been facing with Rodney. In the ends we've gone for get his gut going as best we can then have the dental.

So he's on all the drugs and such and seems to be recovering well and then hopefully we'll have a window where everything is normal to do his dental.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Yes, I've been following your thread and noticed that Rodney's been having the same issue. It sounds like the plan you went with is working out since he seems to be recovering well. I'm glad the meds are helping him, and I hope he can have his dental soon so he can feel better.

I think I'd go ahead with the dental tomorrow as his appetite / ability to eat is slowly is going in the wrong direction. I know its impossible not to worry but try to take some comfort in the fact he's had dentals & recovered well in the past, plus...he really does look like a healthy rabbit. I really do think their physical health shows just in looking at them & thats got to be just as significant (if not more so) than chronological age. Lots of vibes for Caspar.

I agree, I would go ahead with the dental tomorrow. If you have anything you can tempt him to eat in the meantime even if you wouldn’t normally give him too much of it, then I’d try and get him eating whatever you can. Is he eating pellets?

I think I'd go ahead with the dental tomorrow as his appetite / ability to eat is slowly is going in the wrong direction. I know its impossible not to worry but try to take some comfort in the fact he's had dentals & recovered well in the past, plus...he really does look like a healthy rabbit. I really do think their physical health shows just in looking at them & thats got to be just as significant (if not more so) than chronological age. Lots of vibes for Caspar.
Thank you for your reassuring reply, j&b. It's good to hear that you think he looks healthy and that that has to count for something. I'll try to remind myself that he's recovered well from dentals in the past, like you mentioned.

I agree, I would go ahead with the dental tomorrow. If you have anything you can tempt him to eat in the meantime even if you wouldn’t normally give him too much of it, then I’d try and get him eating whatever you can. Is he eating pellets?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, too, Zoobec. I've been trying to tempt him with his favourite things all evening, but he's barely shown any interest. :( He was eating pellets this afternoon, but now when I offer them he doesn't want them. So, I'm increasing the amount of syringe feed I'm giving him to get him through the night so he'll be ready for his dental tomorrow... Oddly enough, his poops have been getting bigger, so that must be because of the syringe feed and the meds.

Sounds like his teeth are bothering him now :cry: Good luck with the syringe feeding :thumb: sounds like that and the meds are getting his guts moving through if his poops are bigger. will he eat pellets softened with a bit of boiled water and alllowed to cool? Sometimes they will eat that from a bowl, and or mashed banana or fruit purée. I have used pouches of baby food before in this situation on their own or mixed with pellet mush.

The fact that his poops are so much better must mean you're doing a great job with syringe feeding him enough

Sounds like his teeth are bothering him now :cry: Good luck with the syringe feeding :thumb: sounds like that and the meds are getting his guts moving through if his poops are bigger. will he eat pellets softened with a bit of boiled water and alllowed to cool? Sometimes they will eat that from a bowl, and or mashed banana or fruit purée. I have used pouches of baby food before in this situation on their own or mixed with pellet mush.
Thank you, Zoobec. I think his teeth are hurting him, yes. :( I gave him pellets softened with water this morning and he ate that, so I really appreciate your mentioning that. I hadn't thought of it. :) He doesn't like banana, though, but I'll make sure I have some baby food for next time. I can't get any right now, but that's a good idea; he might like that.

The fact that his poops are so much better must mean you're doing a great job with syringe feeding him enough
I'm glad you think so. I hope so. I try to give him 20ml every few hours; he won't take more than that, but it should be enough according to the instructions.

We just dropped Casper and Sophie off at the vets, so now it's a matter of waiting and worrying until they call and tell me how it went and that I can come pick them up. Until then I'm going to take some long, long naps, because I'm exhausted. This is the fourth time going to the vets in 2 weeks and I'm not used to leaving the house that often; I'm not really healthy enough for it...

Sending lots of vibes for Casper's dental. I hope you manage to get some rest and that you get some positive news from the vets soon.

Good luck Caspar. Hopefully they'll be home very soon, he'll be feeling much better & they can enoy a good period of stability- which will give you more energy to focus on your health too. I hope you manage some sleep today

Sending lots of vibes for the dental. I hope you can get some rest today. You’ve done a great job nursing him :love: the Ella’s kitchen or whatever supermarket pouch fruit or veg baby food are good, and handy to sguidge a little out.

Back