• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mean Casper

I second the Ella's kitchen stuff. Really easy to get bun safe flavours and the pouches are really easy. I do find it also helps smooth out critical care so it goes through the syringe better.

Sending vibes for a good dental and smooth recovery x

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thank you so much, everyone. You're all such kind people. :love: And thank you for the Ella's Kitchen recommendation, Zoobec and CarelessSquid07. I'll ask my parents to get some Ella's Kitchen pouches when they go to the supermarket next time so I'll have some next time someone's not eating. :)

Casper and Sophie are back home! Casper had already eaten and pooped some at the vets, and when we got home he started eating hay, so he's clearly feeling better. :love: The worst spurs were some long ones in the back, so they think it was those that were bothering him so much. The other good news is that the skull x-ray they took is no different than the one they took 3 years ago, so the problem with his roots hasn't gotten any worse, and there was nothing else bad to see, either, which is a big relief. I've been worried that his roots had gotten deeper into/through his jaw and that that was causing him more pain than his daily metacam can deal with, but that's thankfully not the case. They had a long day at the vets, though, so they're pretty tired now. The vets didn't call to say we could come pick them up until late in the afternoon, so they were there a long time. It did give me a lot of time to sleep, at least...

Glad to hear they're back and none the worse for it, and better in Casper's case :D Good to hear about the roots too, a good chunk of peace of mind in that regard :D

I'm glad you've got your bunnies back home. It's really good that Casper's tooth roots are no worse and I'm pleased that he seems already to be feeling a lot more comfortable.

Great update. Just goes to show how important it is to respond to any behaviour changes.

Casper hasn't been eating very well at all today. I've been offering him all kinds of things, but he's only eaten some dried forage and one pellet so far. His mouth must be sore from the dental... Yesterday evening he ate quite a lot of veggies, but today he doesn't want any. If he doesn't start eating more soon I think I'll have to syringe feed him again...

Casper hasn't been eating very well at all today. I've been offering him all kinds of things, but he's only eaten some dried forage and one pellet so far. His mouth must be sore from the dental... Yesterday evening he ate quite a lot of veggies, but today he doesn't want any. If he doesn't start eating more soon I think I'll have to syringe feed him again...

Aww Casper, you need to eat to make you a big strong lad. Do you think he had a stronger painkiller yesterday at the vets, which has now worn off? I assume you have Metacam for him today. I agree that syringe feed is probably the way to go until he's not so sore.

Aww Casper, you need to eat to make you a big strong lad. Do you think he had a stronger painkiller yesterday at the vets, which has now worn off? I assume you have Metacam for him today. I agree that syringe feed is probably the way to go until he's not so sore.
I don't think they gave him any painkiller as I had already given him his daily Metacam, and they only give Metacam themselves after a dental, nothing stronger. I'll see if I can tempt him to eat something more and if not I'll start syringe feeding him again.

I don't think they gave him any painkiller as I had already given him his daily Metacam, and they only give Metacam themselves after a dental, nothing stronger. I'll see if I can tempt him to eat something more and if not I'll start syringe feeding him again.

I hope that Casper feels less sore and starts to eat a bit more soon. Spurs in the mouth must actually feel really painful :(

I hope he is eating better soon. Some vets will prescribe twice daily metacam so it might be worth a call to see if they will. Is he on any gut meds? Have you tried him on pellet mush today? I had to keep putting food under Frosty’s nose for a while after a dental. Some fresh herbs, grass or dandelion leaves might tempt him. Sending lots of vibes

Oh no poor boy! Hopefully he'll perk up soon.

I agree with the twice daily metacam, it has made a ton of difference to both Primrose and Rodney post dentals previously. They seem to metabolize it quite quickly.

Sometimes a small syringe feed can make them realise it's ok to eat and not quite as sore as they think.

Aww poor Caspar, I expect he must still have some discomfort. Hopefully a syringe feed or 2 will help him out while he heals up completely. Is his Metacam prescribed for his tooth roots?

I hope that Casper feels less sore and starts to eat a bit more soon. Spurs in the mouth must actually feel really painful :(
Thank you, Omi. I think they must be really painful, too. :(

I hope he is eating better soon. Some vets will prescribe twice daily metacam so it might be worth a call to see if they will. Is he on any gut meds? Have you tried him on pellet mush today? I had to keep putting food under Frosty’s nose for a while after a dental. Some fresh herbs, grass or dandelion leaves might tempt him. Sending lots of vibes
Thank you, too, Zoobec. I just sent the vets a message to ask if he can have more Metacam. To be honest, I've never noticed a difference between when he gets his Metcam twice a day or once a day, but it's worth trying for today. He is on gut meds, yes. He gets Emeprid 3 times a day. He doesn't want any pellet mush, either. :( I keep putting food in front of him, like you did with Frosty, but he doesn't even look at it. :( I did get him to eat some fresh herbs by waving them around in front of his face, so I went to get more and offered those, too, but he didn't want them. I'm not sure where I could get grass or dandelion leaves around here; all the places I can think of get either dogs or wild rabbits... Maybe my parents have some dandelions in their garden; I'll ask. He does like dandelion leaves, so that's a good idea.

Oh no poor boy! Hopefully he'll perk up soon.

I agree with the twice daily metacam, it has made a ton of difference to both Primrose and Rodney post dentals previously. They seem to metabolize it quite quickly.

Sometimes a small syringe feed can make them realise it's ok to eat and not quite as sore as they think.

Thank you, CarelessSquid07. That's really good that the twice daily Metacam made such a difference for Primrose and Rodney. Hopefully the vet says I can try that, then. I've noticed, too, in the past, that sometimes after a small syringe feed they start eating on their own again. It doesn't seem to have happened this time, sadly. :( I gave Casper his syringe feed, but he still isn't interested in eating.

Aww poor Caspar, I expect he must still have some discomfort. Hopefully a syringe feed or 2 will help him out while he heals up completely. Is his Metacam prescribed for his tooth roots?
Thank you, j&b. The Metacam is for his tooth roots, yes. They hurt him because they're going through his jaw, so he's been on Metacam for years now.

Back