• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding??? Help

Lunaandnev

New Kit
Hi all!

So my female bun Luna is spayed, and we adopted a neutered male for her to bond with. Yesterday we started the bonding process. We put them in the bathroom (none of them have ever been in there) with a puppy pen separating the room in 2. We added lots of tasty veggies on each side. The male bun Jet was sitting next the the pen, he’s recently lost his female friend and he seems keen to be friends with Luna. However, luna would not stop biting him. Every time he was next to the pen Jet would put his head near Luna and she would bite his face above his nose. There was no blood and Jet seemed fine but I’m worried that they won’t bond. But she kept sticking her nose through the pen like she was trying to reach him to bite him? I’ve put them back in the rabbit room in their own pens so they can see each other but not touch. How do I stop her from being aggressive towards him???

When you bring a new boy to bond with an existing female it can take quite a while as the girl will be territorial and this is why she is being aggressive. You will need to be patient and maybe keep them side by side for a while but not close enough so she can bite him. She may then get used to having him around which will make it easier for her to bond with him. A lot of folk on UK Rabbits have done this and might be of more help to you if you are on FB.

It depends on when she was spayed. If it was in the last few weeks, she needs more time to be less hormonal. Spring fever may also make the process a bit longer, as bunnies can still get friskier even after neutering. If you can cope with the current arrangement, leave them for at least a couple of weeks (more if possible) before trying again.

Also, how they react either side of the barrier won’t necessarily be how it will go during actual bonding.

Back