• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Vet Trip today

Thanks - I did make it out. Lots of things were looking decidely limp. however did get a little collection of grass, sow thistle, dandelions & brambles

Yes, most things are very limp at the moment aren't they. There's a load of Cow Parsley but the stems are so feeble that it's all flat on the ground. Red Dead-nettle is still the best forage plant here for this time of year. Am also picking lots of Brambles.

You did well with your little haul, especially after having snow.

Thanks - I did make it out. Lots of things were looking decidely limp. however did get a little collection of grass, sow thistle, dandelions & brambles
I'm glad you got some stuff. I hope the bunnies enjoyed it. That's too bad that so much was looking limp, though.

Mouse said it was distinctly below par & decided spring greens were the better offering. She did eat most of it eventually though
Ah, poor Mouse, not getting the quality forage she deserves. It's good that she had her spring greens in addition to the disappointing forage.

I'm sorry to hijack a bit.

Do bunnies eat brambles straight up?

Theres some overhanging our garden that I'm sure our neighbours wouldn't mind us chopping and not returning to them. But I've always worried about thorns?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hijack a bit.

Do bunnies eat brambles straight up?

Theres some overhanging our garden that I'm sure our neighbours wouldn't mind us chopping and not returning to them. But I've always worried about thorns?

Generally healthy buns manage thorns really well, clever little bunny mouths. Mine all leave the thorny stem stem though. With Mouse I have to trim the leaves from the stem or she lies in the thorny left behind bit & isn't always agile enough to remove it from her fur.

I once dragged a massive bramble in to the house & Boo spooked past it, it caught on her fur & she spooked more as was dragging it round with her :( So now I only give even the healthy buns the wee thorny stems between the 3 leaves.

Beware bunnies on carpet like to bury the thorny stems in the exact spot you put your feet when getting out of bed

Generally healthy buns manage thorns really well, clever little bunny mouths. Mine all leave the thorny stem stem though. With Mouse I have to trim the leaves from the stem or she lies in the thorny left behind bit & isn't always agile enough to remove it from her fur.

I once dragged a massive bramble in to the house & Boo spooked past it, it caught on her fur & she spooked more as was dragging it round with her :( So now I only give even the healthy buns the wee thorny stems between the 3 leaves.

Beware bunnies on carpet like to bury the thorny stems in the exact spot you put your feet when getting out of bed
Now that I wouldn't expect! Their equivalent of leaving Lego everywhere for us to stand on?

I might just take some of the leaves off thank you. I have dried but i reckon fresh is best [emoji16]

Brambles are always popular this time of the year here. They don't eat the stems any more (they used to), so I usually cut the leaves off. Brambles are very, very good for bunny tums. Try Rodney with some perhaps :)

I sent hubby off to get some as they're too high for me [emoji1787] I cut the spines out.

He ate one!

I'll count that as a success given his fussyness right now. He often takes a few tries to get use to new foods though.

I sent hubby off to get some as they're too high for me [emoji1787] I cut the spines out.

He ate one!

I'll count that as a success given his fussyness right now. He often takes a few tries to get use to new foods though.

Good boy :love: Yes, new foods are viewed with suspicion here too for a little while.

More tomorrow Rodney :love:

Good boy :love: Yes, new foods are viewed with suspicion here too for a little while.

More tomorrow Rodney :love:

I have a theory that this is an inbuilt thing with rabbits leftover from the wild, they just have a teeny bit now & then to see if something is poisonous

I have a theory that this is an inbuilt thing with rabbits leftover from the wild, they just have a teeny bit now & then to see if something is poisonous

I think so too. As you know Joey is a herbalist & he does this :lol: He doesn't mind that Boobly is a lot less reserved about trying new things. I have to say Mousey wolfed down her first ever pansy as though she'd been addicted to them for years

I am very tempted to feed them my sorry looking pansy!

It sounds like a good instinct to have! Blossom has now hoovered up the remaining leaves. She clearly isn't so put off by new things [emoji1787]

Bramble lore for outside and fresh-forage-fed-only (as in no/little shop-bought stuff) bunnies: leaves are always good, stems/thicker branches good for chewing when there's less stuff around, and in deep winter the stems go entirely. We have had stuck-on-you incidents, Aboleth got one stuck to her so bad she tried to escape down a tube but it was so badly stuck she was sort of trapped at the top, but Matt helped her out :) But it's rarely that bad, just a few moments of panic. Chibbs is always getting them stuck to her fluff and it rarely ends in anything more than her backing away, dragging it with her halfway across the run and it falling off. It only happens with the freshest brambles, they strip the prickles off pretty quick.

But yeah, even with outdoor buns you get the little spiky ministicks everywhere. I suspect with indoor buns it's MUCH worse! Although we never had that much of a problem when the OH has been feeding indoor bunny guests :D

She doesn't move much. I think she looks kinda raggedy comfy - she never did get on with that posh bed but loving her makeshift one made of fleeces :love:

OwzelAJl.jpg

Back