• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Vet Trip today

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
A planned one, so they get to see my favourire vet, Ruth. Can I just say it was really nice to travel in a non falling apart car.

Joey. Doing great, all aspects of health check passed with flying colours . Received triple vac. Currently weighing 2.6k (which is 100g heavier than I like him but I guess I'm being pedantic as Ruth had no issue_

Boobly is doing awesome. She hasn't had a dental for about a year & her teeth are looking better than at previous check up. She has been triple vacced too. Weighed in at a perfect 2.5k

Mousey has lost weight which I knew. Ruth suspects she may now have kidney disease though not keen on stressing her out with diagnostics as the treatment wouldn't change. It's very much about managing her & keeping her as comfy as possible. Her teeth are ok which is a massive relief. We are to syringe feed as part of her daily care, to increase calories & fluids. I'd been experimenting with syringe feeding the past week or so anyway & she loves it. We are upping her metacam for 10 days to see if that helps & if does she'll stay on that dose. She was triple vaccinated too. mouse is so unstable on her legs she was really struggling in the car so sat on my knee the whole time, giving my sleeve little kisses every so often :love:

I’m glad that it went well :love: Mousey in the car sounds adorable :love: it sounds a good plan for Mouse, I’m glad she likes the syringe feeds :love:

I’m so pleased that your vet trip went well. Mousey is such an amazing character - you are so blessed to have her and she you. Treats all round when they get home. Xx

All sounds good, and even the 'bad' stuff wasn't unknown really :)

agreed. Its not so difficult to process with Mouse as it was with Rudey who was only 5 (& did not "look" like a renally dysfunctional rabbit) though tbh my mind was set on her needing a dental or having a massive lump somewhere.

Thanks everybun, Mousey knows she needs me know, I think thats the difference in her behaviour nowadays

lovely update :) i'm glad it all went well & that you had a nice time in the car with Mouse :love:

Sounds like it was a positive visit, and it's great to hear that Joey and Boo are doing so well. It's good that you have a plan for Mousey's changing health, too, and it's wonderful that she loves the syringe feeding. It's excellent that her and Boo's teeth are looking good, too. That must be a relief, yeah! And how sweet that Mousey kept giving your sleeve kisses in the car. :love:

Yeah she is really easy to feed, I just put her on my lap & hold her upright, point syringe in the direction of her face & she's away:lol: She'll take quite a lot too. She's not a good drinker so at least she'll have extra fluids kicking about to help her excrete excess calcium. I do need to return to winter foraging. Forage & herbs are the only things she has a really good appetite for . She eats hay, just not enough. She is majorly obssesed with thyme & rosemary

So lovely to read this post about your three bunnies, and I'm so pleased that they all passed with flying colours, even though Mousie needs a little extra help bless her.

OMG ours only EVER go for rosemary in deep winter (post-hazel), is Mouse the same?

No, not seasonal here, all 3 love it all year round. I love our rosemary bush - its raided daily . Mouse does seems to favour strong flavours more now though, I wonder if their taste buds go when they get older

Aww glad the vet trip went well and pleased that although Mouse isn’t 100%, it’s something that can be managed at the moment abd that she is so good at being syringe fed. Clever girlie :love:

Thanks for all your comments. All bunnies seem totally fine after their triple vac. Suns out a bit & its not raining. I'm guessing that means I need to go forage now :(

Thanks - I did make it out. Lots of things were looking decidely limp. however did get a little collection of grass, sow thistle, dandelions & brambles

Back