Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Susan and her eyes

  1. #1
    Mama Doe Cuthbert&Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Lancashire.
    Posts
    4,030

    Default Susan and her eyes

    Susan has had to go to the vets for her tear ducts washing out again. She had scarring from the op she had before we adopted her but it does seem more frequent that she needs this doing. This is probably a long shot but I dont suppose that there is anything I can do to prevent this happening is there?

    I think I am very quick to recognise when she needs the treatment and my vets are superb at fitting her in but I just wondered if there was something more I could do.
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Forum Buddy Craig 1965's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,573

    Default

    Our dear bridge bun Henry suffered very much from this and whilst the procedure to clean the tear ducts is not too invasive, you are absolutely right to look for some preventative measures.
    Our exotic vet specialist guided us towards some very simple basic eye drops, non prescription non steroidal, just plain simple eye drops. I got some simple eye drops, didn’t cost more than about a fiver I believe, that were just for keeping the eyes hydrated.
    I would run the thought past your vet - as I’m sure they will give you some ideas of the type of drops that would be suitable but in Henry’s case, it was to keep his eye surface lubricated.
    Hope this helps and sending gentle nose rubs to Susan. Xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  3. #3
    Mama Doe Cuthbert&Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Lancashire.
    Posts
    4,030

    Default

    Thank you Craig, she does not seem inconvenienced by the procedure but I would rather she didnt have to go through it.

  4. #4

    Default

    Has he had skull radiographs to assess her tooth roots ?


    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

    Block the building of a Rabbit Meat Farm in Cornwall
    http://chng.it/McbytJf7bP

  5. #5
    Mama Doe Cuthbert&Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Lancashire.
    Posts
    4,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Has he had skull radiographs to assess her tooth roots ?
    Thank you Jane, yes she has and she has her teeth checked each time we go. The issue has been caused by scarring from a growth (non cancerous) on her bottom eyelid when she went into the RSPCA.
    It is perhaps 12/18 months ago she last had an xray - they did a full check on her when she was sedated to have her DEFRA ring removed.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert&Dillon View Post
    Thank you Jane, yes she has and she has her teeth checked each time we go. The issue has been caused by scarring from a growth (non cancerous) on her bottom eyelid when she went into the RSPCA.
    It is perhaps 12/18 months ago she last had an xray - they did a full check on her when she was sedated to have her DEFRA ring removed.
    It may be that the condition is now chronic. Repeated flushing may actually exacerbate the scaring. Management of a chronic condition would mean daily bathing of the eyes, using a barrier ointment to protect the delicate tissue where the discharge flows and watching out for signs of active infection. Should this occur abx eye drops would be needed. If the Bunny has a companion the companion often helps keep the effected Bunny’s eyes clean x


    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

    Block the building of a Rabbit Meat Farm in Cornwall
    http://chng.it/McbytJf7bP

  7. #7
    Mama Doe Cuthbert&Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Lancashire.
    Posts
    4,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    It may be that the condition is now chronic. Repeated flushing may actually exacerbate the scaring. Management of a chronic condition would mean daily bathing of the eyes, using a barrier ointment to protect the delicate tissue where the discharge flows and watching out for signs of active infection. Should this occur abx eye drops would be needed. If the Bunny has a companion the companion often helps keep the effected Bunny’s eyes clean x
    Thank you Jane, Baytril has been given as the last bits out of her nose (during the flush ) were cottage cheesy. Isthal eye drops, vasaline for round the eye (to minimise the salty burn) and metacam for today.

  8. #8
    Mama Doe Cuthbert&Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Lancashire.
    Posts
    4,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert&Dillon View Post
    Susan has had to go to the vets for her tear ducts washing out again. She had scarring from the op she had before we adopted her but it does seem more frequent that she needs this doing. This is probably a long shot but I dont suppose that there is anything I can do to prevent this happening is there?

    I think I am very quick to recognise when she needs the treatment and my vets are superb at fitting her in but I just wondered if there was something more I could do.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert&Dillon View Post
    Thank you Jane, Baytril has been given as the last bits out of her nose (during the flush ) were cottage cheesy. Isthal eye drops, vasaline for round the eye (to minimise the salty burn) and metacam for today.
    Rups and her are not bonded, there is a fireguard between them and they do wash each others faces between the bars but very very infrequently.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert&Dillon View Post
    Thank you Jane, Baytril has been given as the last bits out of her nose (during the flush ) were cottage cheesy. Isthal eye drops, vasaline for round the eye (to minimise the salty burn) and metacam for today.
    I hope the treatment resolves this latest issue with her tear ducts.


    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

    Block the building of a Rabbit Meat Farm in Cornwall
    http://chng.it/McbytJf7bP

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •