Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: How often to groom?

  1. #1
    Young Bun mashbywood6892's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    38

    Default How often to groom?

    When my two Netherland Dwarfs are moulting/shedding, I of course groom them DAILY to avoid too much fur ingestion and blockages etc. I get lots of old fur out on these daily grooms - they love being groomed!

    However, when they're not actively moulting, should I continue to regularly groom them? At the moment I tend to give them a quick brush every 10 days or so, but not much fur comes out. I wondered what everyone else did and whether it is necessary or not.

    They are both short haired and have fairly thick, shiny coats.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    19,268

    Default

    Everyone has a different routine but, as they enjoy it, I would think once a week should be adequate.

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    18,566

    Default

    My elderly arthritic solo bun I groom at least daily but my healthy pair I groom only when moulting. If they are your signature bunnies they are very cute

    www.TrawdenSoapKitchen.Etsy.com including Boobly Bears dried forage & herb mix

  4. #4
    Young Bun mashbywood6892's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Everyone has a different routine but, as they enjoy it, I would think once a week should be adequate.
    Thank you

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Young Bun mashbywood6892's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    My elderly arthritic solo bun I groom at least daily but my healthy pair I groom only when moulting. If they are your signature bunnies they are very cute
    Ah good to know! Maybe I don't need to do it as often... I was just paranoid about them ingesting fur!!

    And aw thank you They are cuties!

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    4,624

    Default

    I normally do them weekly - unless they are having a big moult, in which case it's twice weekly.

    It depends on what their fur is like, indoors or outdoors, moulting, what you use to groom them, general health, etc.
    It's useful to groom them anyway so you get to know what they feel like, and you can spot issues earlier. They also get used to being handled, which can make it easier to eg medicate when needed.

  7. #7
    Young Bun mashbywood6892's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I normally do them weekly - unless they are having a big moult, in which case it's twice weekly.

    It depends on what their fur is like, indoors or outdoors, moulting, what you use to groom them, general health, etc.
    It's useful to groom them anyway so you get to know what they feel like, and you can spot issues earlier. They also get used to being handled, which can make it easier to eg medicate when needed.
    Their fur is short and thick, and they are indoor rabbits. I use the "Furminator" comb to groom them

    Seems as roughly weekly is about right, going by what everyone has said. And then I will continue to groom daily during heavy moulting.

    Thanks all!

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mashbywood6892; 11-01-2021 at 09:12 AM.

  8. #8

    Default

    For Sophie and Casper, when they're not moulting, I groom them every week during their weekly checkup, which for Sophie is necessary as she loses quite a bit of hair even when she's not moulting. Casper, though, often doesn't need much grooming as he doesn't lose much hair outside of moulting times. So, I think it depends on the bunny, really, how often it's needed. Since you find that they don't lose much fur when they're not moulting, you won't need to do it often, though as they love being groomed you could just do it because they enjoy it. I have read, though, that if you groom them a lot it can encourage moulting, so they'd lose more hair if you groom them too much, but I don't know if it's true. It was a professional groomer who said it, and I read it in a book once, too.

  9. #9

    Default

    Mine love a groom. Normally a few times a week for them. They look at it as a pampering session.

  10. #10
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    40,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mashbywood6892 View Post
    Their fur is short and thick, and they are indoor rabbits. I use the "Furminator" comb to groom them

    Seems as roughly weekly is about right, going by what everyone has said. And then I will continue to groom daily during heavy moulting.

    Thanks all!

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Just a heads up on the furminator, Iíve never used one on a rabbit and I never would after reading this linked thread warning, some distressing content In the link http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ght=Furminator

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •