Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often to groom?

Default How often to groom?

When my two Netherland Dwarfs are moulting/shedding, I of course groom them DAILY to avoid too much fur ingestion and blockages etc. I get lots of old fur out on these daily grooms - they love being groomed!

However, when they're not actively moulting, should I continue to regularly groom them? At the moment I tend to give them a quick brush every 10 days or so, but not much fur comes out. I wondered what everyone else did and whether it is necessary or not.

They are both short haired and have fairly thick, shiny coats.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Everyone has a different routine but, as they enjoy it, I would think once a week should be adequate.

My elderly arthritic solo bun I groom at least daily but my healthy pair I groom only when moulting. If they are your signature bunnies they are very cute

www.TrawdenSoapKitchen.Etsy.com including Boobly Bears dried forage & herb mix

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Everyone has a different routine but, as they enjoy it, I would think once a week should be adequate.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    My elderly arthritic solo bun I groom at least daily but my healthy pair I groom only when moulting. If they are your signature bunnies they are very cute
    Ah good to know! Maybe I don't need to do it as often... I was just paranoid about them ingesting fur!!

And aw thank you They are cuties!

Mama Doe

I normally do them weekly - unless they are having a big moult, in which case it's twice weekly.

It depends on what their fur is like, indoors or outdoors, moulting, what you use to groom them, general health, etc.
    It's useful to groom them anyway so you get to know what they feel like, and you can spot issues earlier. They also get used to being handled, which can make it easier to eg medicate when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I normally do them weekly - unless they are having a big moult, in which case it's twice weekly.

It depends on what their fur is like, indoors or outdoors, moulting, what you use to groom them, general health, etc.
    It's useful to groom them anyway so you get to know what they feel like, and you can spot issues earlier. They also get used to being handled, which can make it easier to eg medicate when needed.
    Their fur is short and thick, and they are indoor rabbits. I use the "Furminator" comb to groom them

Seems as roughly weekly is about right, going by what everyone has said. And then I will continue to groom daily during heavy moulting.

Thanks all!

Last edited by mashbywood6892; 11-01-2021 at 09:12 AM.

For Sophie and Casper, when they're not moulting, I groom them every week during their weekly checkup, which for Sophie is necessary as she loses quite a bit of hair even when she's not moulting. Casper, though, often doesn't need much grooming as he doesn't lose much hair outside of moulting times. So, I think it depends on the bunny, really, how often it's needed. Since you find that they don't lose much fur when they're not moulting, you won't need to do it often, though as they love being groomed you could just do it because they enjoy it. I have read, though, that if you groom them a lot it can encourage moulting, so they'd lose more hair if you groom them too much, but I don't know if it's true. It was a professional groomer who said it, and I read it in a book once, too.

Mine love a groom. Normally a few times a week for them. They look at it as a pampering session.

Quote Originally Posted by mashbywood6892 View Post
    Their fur is short and thick, and they are indoor rabbits. I use the "Furminator" comb to groom them

Seems as roughly weekly is about right, going by what everyone has said. And then I will continue to groom daily during heavy moulting.

Thanks all!

Just a heads up on the furminator, Iíve never used one on a rabbit and I never would after reading this linked thread warning, some distressing content In the link http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ght=Furminator