Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often to groom?

Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    For Sophie and Casper, when they're not moulting, I groom them every week during their weekly checkup, which for Sophie is necessary as she loses quite a bit of hair even when she's not moulting. Casper, though, often doesn't need much grooming as he doesn't lose much hair outside of moulting times. So, I think it depends on the bunny, really, how often it's needed. Since you find that they don't lose much fur when they're not moulting, you won't need to do it often, though as they love being groomed you could just do it because they enjoy it. I have read, though, that if you groom them a lot it can encourage moulting, so they'd lose more hair if you groom them too much, but I don't know if it's true. It was a professional groomer who said it, and I read it in a book once, too.
    Great, thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Just a heads up on the furminator, Iíve never used one on a rabbit and I never would after reading this linked thread warning, some distressing content In the link http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ght=Furminator
    That link doesn't work? Thanks for the warning though. I can try and investigate further.

I've used the furminator on them for a while now (several months) and never had issues, personally. Doesn't damage their coat (their coats are lovely and thick and shiny) and their skin is great too. So not sure what the issue with the furminator could be - I can't read the article you link to.

I tried a few other brushes before the furminator and they were all rubbish. Even ones recommended by other bunny owners. They didn't get ANY fur out and my two suffered from gut stasis episodes fairly regularly, quite possibly due to ingested fur. Since using the furminator their coats have been SO much better and they haven't had gut stasis issues either.

Quote Originally Posted by mashbywood6892 View Post
    That link doesn't work? Thanks for the warning though. I can try and investigate further.

I've used the furminator on them for a while now (several months) and never had issues, personally. Doesn't damage their coat (their coats are lovely and thick and shiny) and their skin is great too. So not sure what the issue with the furminator could be - I can't read the article you link to.

I tried a few other brushes before the furminator and they were all rubbish. Even ones recommended by other bunny owners. They didn't get ANY fur out and my two suffered from gut stasis episodes fairly regularly, quite possibly due to ingested fur. Since using the furminator their coats have been SO much better and they haven't had gut stasis issues either.

I did edit the link I first posted as it didn’t work for some reason. It should work now. I have tried and used lots of different combs and brushes over the years depending on the coat of the bunny. I’m using a cat brush with very closely set bristles at the moment. Sometimes damp hands stroked over the skin removes a lot of loose hair.

I did edit the link I first posted as it didnít work for some reason. It should work now. I have tried and used lots of different combs and brushes over the years depending on the coat of the bunny. Iím using a cat brush with very closely set bristles at the moment. Sometimes damp hands stroked over the skin removes a lot of loose hair.
    The link works now. Wow. Thanks for flagging this - that's awful! Poor bunny. I've not had any issues at all with mine, and their coat and skin seem great, but that's definitely made me wary of using it...

Any specific brushes you'd recommend??

The link works now. Wow. Thanks for flagging this - that's awful! Poor bunny. I've not had any issues at all with mine, and their coat and skin seem great, but that's definitely made me wary of using it...

Any specific brushes you'd recommend??

Yes, sorry, it’s not really what you want to read when it’s been working for you, but I just wanted to make you aware.

The one I use at the moment I’ve had for some years, and I can’t remember what it is I have found the coat of the bunny determines what will work best. Some bunnies I’ve had have had very fine soft fur and the one I use at the moment was the only thing to work effectively. The one I’ve found most useful is a slicker brush and mine looks similar to this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/KW-SMART-Sl...0364944&sr=8-7

Yes, sorry, itís not really what you want to read when itís been working for you, but I just wanted to make you aware.

The one I use at the moment Iíve had for some years, and I canít remember what it is I have found the coat of the bunny determines what will work best. Some bunnies Iíve had have had very fine soft fur and the one I use at the moment was the only thing to work effectively. The one Iíve found most useful is a slicker brush and mine looks similar to this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/KW-SMART-Sl...0364944&sr=8-7
    OK fab thank you. Will look into slicker brushes like the one you link to!

I bought a slicker brush instead, as per your suggestion, and it works fab! Thanks so much!

I bought a slicker brush instead, as per your suggestion, and it works fab! Thanks so much!

I’m glad it works well for you