• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back of neck fur loss, bad smell & slight dampness..

3LO

Young Bun
Evening all,

I was wondering whether anyone has experienced anything similar with their bunnies at all..

My bun started to get slight fur loss on his head & back of neck, there was no itching, weeping, flakes, redness.. just a small area of baldness that I was sure was getting slightly larger.

Therefore a month or two ago, I had a video call with the vet (Wouldn't let me have F2F consultation due to covid as said wasn't an emergency) and they said it looks as though it may be due to mites, which I explained I had tried treating him with and nothing worked, therefore they said to try a different dose for his weight etc and also gave some medication for incase it is some kind of fungal infection and see how things go. Asked how long till I will see fur grow back and they said possibly could take a month or so to come back.

I then went away and did that and gave the meds, keeping an eye out for any changes and in hopes the fur would grow back. However it now seems the fur loss has gotten worse (more spreaded out) along with some of the sparse hairs on the patch area of the neck which always seems to look damp along with an odd smell coming from the area from time to time, kind of like an off smell.

Other than the above he is eating/drinking absolutely fine, attitude as per his normal cheeky self, no itching and perfectly happy.

I just can't help but worry as I want him as healthy as possible. I will be calling up the vets again on Monday morning to get him looked at again, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas, especially since the vet said they have no idea what else it could be and would need a skin scrapping next if doesn't work.. which is £180. :roll:

Much appreciated for any help. :) x

Does your bunny have a friend?

I dont know of it would cause all of this but I have seen barbering/over grooming by a bunny friend cause neck baldness.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thanks for replying :)

He's the only bun, which is another reason why I'm confused and I don't think he can lick as high up as where the baldness is either.

Even the vet seemed puzzled 😕

Sending lots of vibes. I don’t have any experience of this so I don’t have any advice!

Back