• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nearly bonding time.

glitterdust

Warren Scout
I need advice again, my heads confused. So my young ones bonded back naturally after neutering, so they in are a couple, I have dolly 8 months on her own and i was waiting for hormones to settle down and I then I was going to attempt to bond them as trio. Anyway it turns out ani is partially sighted and struggles and she really really loves her brother. They have both been living beside dolly for months and dolly goes and sits next to them at nights and they are all good with each other.(behind bars) I do not want to ruin my bonded pairs relationship as ani is flourishing with her brother, so i thought maybe I should just get dolly a friend of her own... I have been switching there houses and doing everything I should with the hope a trio would bond and I'm wondering now which way to go.
I could get a male from our local rescue for dolly but I'm unsure what will be the best thing to do.
2 pairs with separate sheds and runs or a trio with 2 sheds and loads of space.

Also, if I choose to go for the trio option will it be best to bond 24/7 or play dates first.(always in a neutral area) If play dates are recommended will that not affect my bonded duos relationship when they go back into there own houses.
Thank you so much

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I think a large part of your decision is a personal one. But I'll say what I would do in your situation if I had no preference about whether to have a trio or two pairs.

I would give bonding a trio a try first of all and I would do it in a neutral space 24/7. Only if that indicated that a trio wasn't going to work out, would I then try a neutered male with Dolly. As you know there are no guarantees with bonding as to whether the bond will be successful. A trio might or might not work and also a pairing of Dolly and a neutered male might or might not work. I think you will have a good indication about the trio pretty soon, so that you can take steps to preserve the pairing of your two younger ones.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

I think a large part of your decision is a personal one. But I'll say what I would do in your situation if I had no preference about whether to have a trio or two pairs.

I would give bonding a trio a try first of all and I would do it in a neutral space 24/7. Only if that indicated that a trio wasn't going to work out, would I then try a neutered male with Dolly. As you know there are no guarantees with bonding as to whether the bond will be successful. A trio might or might not work and also a pairing of Dolly and a neutered male might or might not work. I think you will have a good indication about the trio pretty soon, so that you can take steps to preserve the pairing of your two younger ones.

When I read your words it was like my inner thoughts, but my head was kind of all over the place to get the decision through.. Thank you.
It's my decision and it was always there , I just needed to hear it says back to me
Thank you
You always give good advice xx

I would say 2 pairs as Rabbits like a close relationship with one another and Ani needs this moreso if she is partially sighted. If you do decide to try a trio they would have to be put in a totally neutral area.

I agree with all of this :thumb: fingers crossed for you all :thumb:

I agree with Omi.

Re: dates vs non stop bonding I think you'll be lead by the experience. With pairs I've always done the stay up all night full on technique. When I bonded my trio & later when I tried to bond a quad there is no way I could have done non stop bonding - it took too long & everybun (me especially) would get too tired & emotional for it to be productive.
Joey & Boo (my original pair) had no spats when I bonded them to Mouse but they did with the quad attempt & later when I just tried rebonding them to Mouse. J&B were always fine once theyd returned to their space & scoped the space for impostors. If the trio bond gets too uncomfy for you it'd be fair enough to take that as your cue to go for the 2 pairs option. I see positives & negatives for each. Wishing you a happy outcome whichever path you chose

I would say 2 pairs as Rabbits like a close relationship with one another and Ani needs this moreso if she is partially sighted. If you do decide to try a trio they would have to be put in a totally neutral area.
I had a plan to bond them in a neutral area and I have a new shed coming mid Feb and then putting them all in the new shed to kind of keep the bond going.
I am very open to either option as neither will affect me. . My main concern was always Ani and it was for this reason I was in 2 minds. She is the only one i will be watching and the only one i need to be ok.The other 2 have enough confidence to always be alright. Dolly previously bonded with my constantly sick dental bun and she absolutey loved him so I'm hoping she has a caring nature and will respect my previous Ani. Xxx

I agree with Omi.

Re: dates vs non stop bonding I think you'll be lead by the experience. With pairs I've always done the stay up all night full on technique. When I bonded my trio & later when I tried to bond a quad there is no way I could have done non stop bonding - it took too long & everybun (me especially) would get too tired & emotional for it to be productive.
Joey & Boo (my original pair) had no spats when I bonded them to Mouse but they did with the quad attempt & later when I just tried rebonding them to Mouse. J&B were always fine once theyd returned to their space & scoped the space for impostors. If the trio bond gets too uncomfy for you it'd be fair enough to take that as your cue to go for the 2 pairs option. I see positives & negatives for each. Wishing you a happy outcome whichever path you chose

So shall i go into it presuming it's a date and expect 24/7, depending how they interact.
I will keep bottle of wine at the ready .
How many bottles will i need [emoji1787].
How long did it take for your trio to bond.
Xxx

you may need all the bottles :lol: Mine took from May til Sep til I felt happy to leave them. The chaser of the group came to bed with us at midnight (as was her routine ) so Joey & new girl Mouse could happily be left overnight. There were never fights, I just felt they needed lots of supervision but after week 2 they were always together during the day. I broke lots of bonding rules. If I'd had a good plan B I wouldn't have persevered but there was no way Mousey was being lonely or going back to rescue .

you may need all the bottles [emoji38] Mine took from May til Sep til I felt happy to leave them. The chaser of the group came to bed with us at midnight (as was her routine ) so Joey & new girl Mouse could happily be left overnight. There were never fights, I just felt they needed lots of supervision but after week 2 they were always together during the day. I broke lots of bonding rules. If I'd had a good plan B I wouldn't have persevered but there was no way Mousey was being lonely or going back to rescue .
Awww that's so cute though. It all worked out in the end..[emoji173]xx

Awww that's so cute though. It all worked out in the end..[emoji173]xx

Will it did for 4 years til i pushed my luck & tried a quad...then I ended up with 2 pairs

I think you'll be good though as you don't have to push it if you've given it a good go but don't feel its working. Boo is partially sighted - well she was then, she is blind now. It can make things more awkward but always best to start with a both hope & an awareness of potential issues.

Will it did for 4 years til i pushed my luck & tried a quad...then I ended up with 2 pairs

I think you'll be good though as you don't have to push it if you've given it a good go but don't feel its working. Boo is partially sighted - well she was then, she is blind now. It can make things more awkward but always best to start with a both hope & an awareness of potential issues.
Yes good advise, I will , and Im prepared for whatever happens in any situation. I was lucky to have 3 quick amazing bonds out of 4 and then i got a taste of how awful they can be. So , when 3 are together what do I need to watch out for as a negative sign . Fur pulling is ok, circling is not ok so stop that. What about nipping, as dolly is an attention seeking nipper..
What do i leave them to sort out, and when do i intervene?
X

Gosh I'm not a good one to seek advice from. Basically I spent 2 weeks in the kitchen sat in a pen with them - Boo lunged lots & I couldn't cope :lol: But its normal right? Joey was really humpy & it was uncomfy, I was covered in rabbit wee half the time. 2 weeks later I deep cleaned the lounge where J&B had been based. The cleaning didnt work as they still recognised things. Anyway I lobbed them all in the lounge & let them get on with it. The lounge in my house at the time was really big so although familiar territory it did work better for us. Boo would chase Mouse but as Boo had poor eyesight & Mouse was quicker she'd always get away. From day one Joey bonded to Mouse so she always had loves. Boo groomed Mouse regularly from a couple of months in. Overtime they chased less & lay more as a group rather than 2+1. See lots of rule breaking -if I'd left them at Camp Nibble to bond I'm sure Hannah wuld have nailed it in a week

I'd say the intervene & leave rules are exactly the same, its just harder to put them in action as when multiple bunnies start manically rushing about its bloody scary.

So many much more simple trio bonds have been achieved on here though. From now on I'm sticking to pairs (though unfortunately little old Mouse is alone as too arthritic & old to bond now)

So shall i go into it presuming it's a date and expect 24/7, depending how they interact.
I will keep bottle of wine at the ready .
How many bottles will i need [emoji1787].
How long did it take for your trio to bond.
Xxx

I drank half a bottle every night of each bond :lol: needed some to relieve the stress but not too much in case of any issues! Sleeping on a settee next to bonding bunnies is not relaxing :lol: I’ve not had a trio, only pairs and a quad though. I think I must have been mad as the first bond I did was the quad :lol: (2 pairs)

Gosh I'm not a good one to seek advice from. Basically I spent 2 weeks in the kitchen sat in a pen with them - Boo lunged lots & I couldn't cope [emoji38] But its normal right? Joey was really humpy & it was uncomfy, I was covered in rabbit wee half the time. 2 weeks later I deep cleaned the lounge where J&B had been based. The cleaning didnt work as they still recognised things. Anyway I lobbed them all in the lounge & let them get on with it. The lounge in my house at the time was really big so although familiar territory it did work better for us. Boo would chase Mouse but as Boo had poor eyesight & Mouse was quicker she'd always get away. From day one Joey bonded to Mouse so she always had loves. Boo groomed Mouse regularly from a couple of months in. Overtime they chased less & lay more as a group rather than 2+1. See lots of rule breaking -if I'd left them at Camp Nibble to bond I'm sure Hannah wuld have nailed it in a week

I'd say the intervene & leave rules are exactly the same, its just harder to put them in action as when multiple bunnies start manically rushing about its bloody scary.

So many much more simple trio bonds have been achieved on here though. From now on I'm sticking to pairs (though unfortunately little old Mouse is alone as too arthritic & old to bond now)
Why am i absolutley creased at this [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

I drank half a bottle every night of each bond [emoji38] needed some to relieve the stress but not too much in case of any issues! Sleeping on a settee next to bonding bunnies is not relaxing [emoji38] I’ve not had a trio, only pairs and a quad though. I think I must have been mad as the first bond I did was the quad [emoji38] (2 pairs)

Oh jeez, how long did it take you?

I don't think my bonding threads would say much more but if you wanted a nosey they are on my first page of started threads, the relevant ones are "bonding my first & last trio"
"there's a Mouse in the house" & "So proud of my girls". Reading so prod of my girls he were only a few weeks in, maybe I'm remembering it to be worse than it was or maybe now I appreciate some bunnies (Boo) are bossy & chasey by nature

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?402162-U-d-2-weeks-after-Bonding-a-quad

Some light reading for you [emoji38] my original bonding thread. It went very smoothly tbh. Not too many bottles of wine needed [emoji38]
In bonding I think the main thing is knowing the bunnies and going with what works for them.
Looking forward to reading that before bed
Thank you.
All my 3 since being neutered are all very lovely and happy natured, dolly is nippy but it's only because she can't talk. We all love our buns, but we all have one that we don't want to see either getting humped OR humping and I'm afraid for me it's dolly. I just cannot visualise That at all. I have a feeling I'm about to gety eyes opened lol. Xxx

I don't think my bonding threads would say much more but if you wanted a nosey they are on my first page of started threads, the relevant ones are "bonding my first & last trio"
"there's a Mouse in the house" & "So proud of my girls". Reading so prod of my girls he were only a few weeks in, maybe I'm remembering it to be worse than it was or maybe now I appreciate some bunnies (Boo) are bossy & chasey by nature
I can't wait to have a read.
Thank you so much
You brightened up my saturday night.
Xx

Back