• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leo today

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Leo spent alot of yesterday evening sitting near Lillian - we purposely allowed him that moment so that he can try to process in his own way, Lillian saying goodbye. We made a fuss of him last night and we have continued to do so today in between our own frequent grieving.
Leo has coped reasonably well with the situation, given that this is all very new to him. We have had him 10 months so he has adjusted extremely well to a new family and also to being bonded for the first time in his life. But it is also evidently clear that he is missing Lillian in his own way and he is finding it as hard as we are. And it is reflective in his behaviour.
This morning when he came into the living room, watching him you would think it was his first time in the living room yet he has been in here hundreds of times. He presented as wary, almost spooked and he sat for some time thumping his hind legs. He wouldn't allow me to comfort and reassure him although a few dried cranberries did help briefly. But his thumping was something of a puzzle. He was inside, the curtains to the back garden door were closed so he could not see anything outside. His body language was intruiging and it will all depend on your individual beliefs as to what you make of this.
Having thumped for quite some time, he then gently and nervously, ears forward and one paw at a time, walk cautiously under the table, stopping every two or three steps and pushing his nose out again. He followed a very specific path and at times it looked like he was following something but something that was not there. I have my own view on it, and not one that everyone shares but you are welcome to form your own opinions of this. There was no mistaking Leo's behaviour - he is not normally like that.
Leo is presently under the living room table, quite relaxed now and is much more settled than he was this morning. He is pooping normally and he also had a brief run up the garden and back down again - which again to me indicates he was looking for Lillian. We will continue to monitor Leo's pattern of behaviour and more importantly his feeding. We so often forget that in dealing and processing the pain of grief ourselves, we can easily overlook the behaviour and the emotional trauma that our bonded pets also have to deal with, which is why we are making sure we continue to place Leos needs ahead of ours at the moment.

I'm pleased to hear that Leo is now more relaxed, yes its very hard when they lose a companion, and you can't explain things to them. I probably share your thoughts on Leo's behaviour Craig, animals are very intuitive in my experience.

Leo will adjust to not having Lillian there in the flesh. He is very lucky to have such caring humans and I really didn't expect you to post anything for a few days and we would have understood, but you have.

I am glad that Leo is coping, in his own way, with his bereavement. Maybe he is sensing Lillian in spirit form?

I find watching a beloved pet dealing with grief compounds my own. It makes me feel totally helpless.

Leo is lucky that he is an indoor bun and that you are on furlough so he will not be totally alone for long periods of the day.

Thinking of Leo, you and your wife as you come to terms with your loss xxx

It's so lovely and important that you've let Leo say goodbye to Lillian like this, and it's good to hear that he's more comfortable now than this morning. Poor Leo will be dealing with his own grief, you're right, so it's so good that you're keeping an eye on him and giving him lots of attention. I'll be thinking of him.

I have no experience of this as both my buns have been single house rabbits, but do send Leo much love and it's good that he has such a vigilant and caring owner watching over him.

Sending Leo some nose pets. I know you will help each other through the tragic loss of Lillian. Hugs.

I agree with what Rihanna said :cry: I think bonded bunnies are each others support and look out within the Warren and they feel frightened when they are on their own. He will come round and will rely on your company more now. Poor Leo, sending hugs for you all. xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Leo, it must be a worrying world for him just now. But it is a help to you in some ways, to have him to watch and care for, it helps you to survive these first days without Lillian. I think he'll remember what Lillian has taught him in the past few months, he might just surprise you before long.
As an aside, my current dog came 2 weeks after my previous one - they never met, I did not want him, but I am sure he was chosen for me by my first dog for various reasons. But I am even more sure that they have conversations somehow, because over the years there have been several times when current boy has acted completely out of character for him, but exactly in character for my first boy, and it's always something that makes me laugh just when I need it.

How is Leo doing today Craig. Have just got in from work and wondered how you all are?

Thank you Rhianna. It is kind of you (and everybun) to keep Leo in your thoughts - you are all amazingly kind and caring people.
This is Leo at lunchtime today. I took this because it was quite a striking photo - showing the presence of mind and awareness and intellect that rabbits have. Leo found the exact spot where he got shade for his eyes...
GORfvfR.jpg
[/IMG]

Leo was waiting by the living room/kitchen diner door this morning when I came downstairs. Last night was the first night I've had some proper sleep but my dreams were filled with rabbits although that is all I can remember of them. On the face of it, it didn't look like Leo had eaten much at all and I was concerned. The toilet area had signs of poop and wee so I felt that at least his gut was functioning. I tried to put some fresh greens and parsley down but Leo didn't seem too interested.
After a little while, it then becomes very clear what the problem is. His routine is completely gone. Leo took his lead from Lillian and she was his safety net. Leo is very much a sociable rabbit and he clearly struggles as an independant. Once I sat down next to him and put some greens down, he began to eat because he then felt safe. Once we are around, Leo feels safe and will immediately come and share our space, sitting where Lillian used to. Putting a bit more food in the living room he grazed on that.
I went to the supermarket and bought him some .....oooh, he's just hopped round to the sofa end of the living room. And off again....
I bought him some fresh carrots with tops as a treat. They were out of fresh parsley which is a pain.
I've cleaned out the toilet area - which made me even sadder as it was the last place of Lillians smell and scent. There were plenty of poops and wee there so I know Leo's gut is ok. He's had a brief run in the garden - about 20 minutes or so but it was very cold and he prefers the comfort of indoors. Once I sit next to his food area, he feels it is safe to then eat. He's had some pellets and is chosing when to spend some time on his own or when to spend time with us in the living room. I've put all the snuggle toys in the sleeping area box so that he can snuggle into them if he choses. Leo likes to be stroked and will sit for as long as we want to have strokes.
But you can see in his body language that he is looking for Lillian in so many ways.
He hasn't repeated the behaviour he did on Thursday when he was clearly sensing something in the living room - it was very unusual behaviour and one I cannot logically explain. I have my own thoughts on it.
Leo is presently tucking into some pellets by the dining room table and he did tuck into some freshly chopped carrot.
Thank you everybun for thinking of Leo. xx

oh he is a lovely boy and im glad hes managing to eat still. Those folders go down more and more every time i see them!

Aaaw bless him. He is being such a brave bun. He is so lucky to have your company at the moment. I know how I have struggled to leave a grieving bunny alone when I have had to go to work. It's partly why I am considering adopting a third bun. Both mine are youngish but that is no guarantee of anything.

They are such complex little beings :love:

Its great that he's managing to eat.

It's so hard to see them go through this.

Thinking of you all

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back