• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit biting animal gate

-April-

New Kit
I recently got rid of my rabbits cage and instead got an animal gate in my room to keep her in whenever i am asleep or going out, and whenever I’m in the house she gets to roam the whole house.
But ever since I started doing this she is keeping both me and my mum up at night because she is constantly trying to bite and scratch at the pet gate. She’s creating a lot of noise.
I tried getting a few more toys to keep her occupied but it just doesn’t seem to be working.
Is there anything else I could possibly do?

Get her a friend? They will be distracted by each other, and hopefully there will be less of the unwanted behaviour.
How old is she?
Is she neutered? Both should have been neutered for several weeks before attempting to bond them.

She’s a year and a half old and I got her neutered September 2019. I just don’t know if I’m gonna be able to get a second rabbit.

To me it sounds like she might be bored and/or frustrated, so Shimmer's idea of getting her a friend is a great one. You could maybe put a piece of plexiglass on the gate so she can't chew chew it, but that only fixes the noise, not the underlying problem of your bunny needing something from you, so I wouldn't recommend just doing that and then not looking into what she needs to not be bored or frustrated anymore. I know you said you got a few more toys to keep her occipied and that that doesn't seem to be working, but have you tried some toys that require her to work for some treats or her regular food? I find that most bunnies like toys like that, and they could keep her busy for a while.

Once rabbits know that there is a path they will try use it. If it gets blocked by twigs they gnaw them off so their path is clear - that is a natural behaviour to maintain their escape routes. They stick to this routes. When one of mine squeezes under the fence and gets out it's sometimes hard to herd it back through the wide open gate, because it tries to go the exact way back it came out.
The concept of doors can take some time to settle in, in your situation I would put a sheet of cardboard at the gate, extending quite some way to both sides or to an obstacle if one is there. I got the impression that when they can't see where they want to go they get used to the idea that they can't go there more quickly.

Toys, well, rabbits don't play like predators, gnawing toys are great though (I use tree branches), isn't really silent in the night but I like that soothing Gnaw Gnaw Gnaw though. Tells me everything is ok.

Not much experience with indoor fences or pens, I treat my house rabbits more like cats in that regard, they have free roam of almost everything.

Last edited:
To me it sounds like she might be bored and/or frustrated, so Shimmer's idea of getting her a friend is a great one. You could maybe put a piece of plexiglass on the gate so she can't chew chew it, but that only fixes the noise, not the underlying problem of your bunny needing something from you, so I wouldn't recommend just doing that and then not looking into what she needs to not be bored or frustrated anymore. I know you said you got a few more toys to keep her occipied and that that doesn't seem to be working, but have you tried some toys that require her to work for some treats or her regular food? I find that most bunnies like toys like that, and they could keep her busy for a while.

I do have one toy that requires work, a puzzle but she manages to do it in a few seconds. So I’m going to get a few more food based treats and see if that works.

Rabbits value companionship of their own kind as much as they value food. Hope you are able to get a friend for her.

I recently got rid of my rabbits cage and instead got an animal gate in my room to keep her in whenever i am asleep or going out, and whenever I’m in the house she gets to roam the whole house.
But ever since I started doing this she is keeping both me and my mum up at night because she is constantly trying to bite and scratch at the pet gate. She’s creating a lot of noise.
I tried getting a few more toys to keep her occupied but it just doesn’t seem to be working.
Is there anything else I could possibly do?

I would 100% get her a rabbit companion. Rabbits are very social animals and having a friend of their own species is the most natural/basic thing they need.

We had this while our bridge bun Prirmose was single. She would chew bars incessantly.

It pretty much stopped when her partner Rodney arrived as she had someone interesting to watch and interact with and then play and snuggle once they were bonded.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back