• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Knowing when it's time to let nature take its course?

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi everyone

Bluebell has been quite poorly this year. In April/May she developed pneumonia and after a lot of medication eventually she got better. When the weather cooled down she started with the quickened breathing again. Took her to the vets a couple of weeks ago, who gave her a course of antibiotics and advised that her and Bramble move inside for the rest of the winter.

They're now inside and I'm keeping a watchful eye. The antibiotics treatment has finished and she's not really much better. She's not been quite herself since the latest bout of illness started and her breathing is still far too quick and short.

I obviously want what's best for her but I don't want to keep taking her to the vets to be prodded and poked if it's just inevitable I'm going to lose her to this. A trip to the vets usually results in hours of not eating and sulking etc. Worrying at the best of times never mind when she's ill.

I just don't know what to do.

I'm going to call the vets tomorrow for advice I think.

What antibiotics was she prescribed ?

Hi Jane. Sorry for the late reply, been a bit hectic here with one thing and another.

She was prescribed sulfatrim, a two week dose of 0.40 ml twice a day (she weighs 1570g).

I had a call with the vets today and they've suggested we do another two week dose of the same. That 'fixed' the issue last time around so they want to try that first. The second option is taking her into the vets for scans and nose swabs but I'm keen to avoid that just because of the stress it causes her. Due to restrictions around CV19 the practice is a 30 minute drive away (our closest practice is closed) and the drive really, really upsets her. As does being swabbed and scanned. I'm keen to avoid any scan that involves anaesthetic as she's unwell and she's not a young bun anymore (9 years old).

It's stressing me out :(

Hi Jane. Sorry for the late reply, been a bit hectic here with one thing and another.

She was prescribed sulfatrim, a two week dose of 0.40 ml twice a day (she weighs 1570g).

I had a call with the vets today and they've suggested we do another two week dose of the same. That 'fixed' the issue last time around so they want to try that first. The second option is taking her into the vets for scans and nose swabs but I'm keen to avoid that just because of the stress it causes her. Due to restrictions around CV19 the practice is a 30 minute drive away (our closest practice is closed) and the drive really, really upsets her. As does being swabbed and scanned. I'm keen to avoid any scan that involves anaesthetic as she's unwell and she's not a young bun anymore (9 years old).

A longer course of antibiotics may help. If she has a lot of fluid on her lungs a short course of a diuretics would make her feel a lot more comfortable. A bronchodilator drug is another option, maybe you could ask the GP about these suggestions.

A longer course of antibiotics may help. If she has a lot of fluid on her lungs a short course of a diuretics would make her feel a lot more comfortable. A bronchodilator drug is another option, maybe you could ask the GP about these suggestions.

Thank you - I'll ask about the diuretics because I'm definitely keen to make her more comfortable

I can understand why you don't like the sound of option 2, I'm the same with my similar sounding bun. I'm not sure how I'd feel about trying the same antibiotics again, but if that was what was on offer I'd give it a go I think. Maybe now she is cosy & inside she'll have more "inner" resources to fight it off. Lots of well wishes, I really hope she can get better

Back