• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks

Walli

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone has some good tips for sore hocks?

Walli has had problems with sore hocks for a long time but they have been under control lately. Yesterday I noticed it was worse again :(
The only thing I can think of that could have made it worse is we have a new bed and he loves jumping up and down the new bed, we have a vetbed on the floor where he jumps of and lands, perhaps this has caused friction? I have now covered it in cottonsheet.

It´s only the left one that is worse, this one is always the worst one but now it was much worse. His vet has examined him several times due to the sore hocks and the only explanation for being worse in one foot is he thumps quite a lot and we guess it´s with his left foot.

Anyone with good tips on material? He is freeranging and at the moment we have carefresh + thick layer of hay in litterbox. In areas he runs a lot and sits and rests we have vetbed covered in cotton sheet or airmatress+vetbed+ cottonsheet.

What ointments is the best? I have tried a lot and think Inotyol (contains zincoxide and ichtammol) has been the best but maybe there is something better? Yesterday the vet gave me an ointment with a corticosteroid and painrelief but said I should only use it for 2-3 days because of the corticosteroid. He has also been prescribed metacam orally for a week.
She also said I could try an ointment with manuka honey if I want but she was not sure this was better than inotyol at the moment. Walli thankfully has no open sores (yet) and she had only used it when it was open wounds.

We have tried to bandage his feet in the past, but he doesn´t accept it (stops eating and goes into stasis).

Thankful for any advice!

Last edited:
Our hock experience was mild most of the time so there will be other with better tips.

Our vet gave us F10 ointment for our girl which seemed to be ok.

We did find that carefresh actually made them much worse and gave our lionhead who had never had sore hocks some as well. We tried it because I thought soft would be better, but it seems to stay damp longer than some of the other options.

We switched to Wooden Cat Litter with a nice deep layer of hay which got them back to manageable.

We also used kids playmats under everything although had to tape it down and cover it with rugs or sheets as our boy chews everything.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thank you for your tips!
I also thought carefresh would be soft and good but maybe I should change to something different, I had him on paperpellets and thick layer hay before, maybe try that again.

I will look into F10 ointment, thank you!

Thank you for the links! I will investigate if I can get any of those ointments in Sweden or perhaps order them from England.

Back