• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets refusing vaccinations

hartleyhare

Warren Scout
I spoke to my vets yesterday and was informed that they are not offering rabbit vaccinations at present due to covid. They are, however, offering puppy and kittens vaccinations. I thought this was may be due to problems obtaining the vaccines, but no. Apparently vaccinations are at the discretion of individual practices and to cut down on the number of visits my vet has decided that rabbit lives are of less value. Last year all the bunny vaccinations were done at this practice without any issues, apart from not being allowed to accompany them inside the building.

We live in a rural area and there are wild rabbits who sometimes come into the garden. I have 6 rabbits and feel that vaccinations are compulsory for them. I am extremely unhappy with the view my vets are taking and said so to the unfortunate receptionist who was unlucky enough to speak to me. It is grossly unfair to put my rabbits lived at risk but be willing to provide vaccines for cats and dogs. I'm going to ring the other practises on the Island but expecting them to have same view.

Is anyone else having issues with obtaining vaccinations for their bunnies?

If they had a blanket policy on vaccines across species I could understand but would feel the same as you do.

There is also the issue that if the vets are now using the triple vaccine, if you go past a year for the RHD2 protection then you would need to give that vaccine again before the triple vaccine. It could get very messy.

My main argument is that vaccinations are lifesaving treatments for rabbits. It should be compulsory to vaccinate all rabbits - although likely impossible to enforce that. To offer vaccines to puppies and kittens ( who presumably are not sick at the time of vaccination ) is species discriminatory and unethical ( my opinion ). I asked the receptionist why rabbit lives hold less value than cats and dogs. She couldn't give me an answer.

I don't think the buns had the new triple vaccine last year. Vets refused to give out receipts but the vet who did the vaccinations said they had all been given two injections each, assuming the combi and separate RHVD2.

Thanks for the links Inspector Morse😀.

Forgot to add that the receptionist also informed me that the practice is still offering an emergency service. Fab, I said and absolutely no use to my bunnies if they get myxi or either of the rhd strains. Nothing to say on that either. Not her fault, she just works there. Think I am going to write to the rcvs and describe my concerns.

Forgot to add that the receptionist also informed me that the practice is still offering an emergency service. Fab, I said and absolutely no use to my bunnies if they get myxi or either of the rhd strains. Nothing to say on that either. Not her fault, she just works there. Think I am going to write to the rcvs and describe my concerns.

I would do this but I would also ring/write to someone ‘high up’ within the practise to express your concerns. I had issues with a vets refusing neutering yesterday, but vaccs are of course even more important. It’s very frustrating.

My practice stopped vaccinations last year due to covid. Luckily mine were not due at the time. I have now left that practice. They also wouldn't treat my bun until it was an emergency. Even when her incisors were sticking out of her mouth. They insisted she had to stop eating or pooping. I said that's ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I would do this but I would also ring/write to someone ‘high up’ within the practise to express your concerns. I had issues with a vets refusing neutering yesterday, but vaccs are of course even more important. It’s very frustrating.

Yes, I was going to do that too. It is indeed most frustrating and worrying. I can kind of understand the neutering thing being considered non essential. That's not to say it's not important or necessary but it suppose it does rely on an owner being responsible about keeping un- neutered buns apart.

Although the RCVS and BVA have advised vets not to go back to emergency only as strict as March, individual practices can make their own decisions and are recommended to encourage the stay at home message as much as possible. Where I work we have no restrictions on bookings. My dogs vet I called yesterday as he is due a medication review and booster, these are.not going ahead I am to collect his medication without bringing him. My rabbit vet will still see rabbit vaccinations as like puppy and kittens they have no protection, unlike adult dogs and cats who can safely go over 3 months there's no evidence for rabbits immunity so I too would be quite upset. If you're comfortable with it I would ask for their complaint procedure or email address for the manager and explain your concerns. You could try another practice in your area see if they are doing rabbit vaccs although they may be unable to take on new clients atm. I really hope you get sorted

My practice stopped vaccinations last year due to covid. Luckily mine were not due at the time. I have now left that practice. They also wouldn't treat my bun until it was an emergency. Even when her incisors were sticking out of her mouth. They insisted she had to stop eating or pooping. I said that's ridiculous.

That is quite shocking, your poor bunny😥. Did you complain. Surely to leave a rabbit in pain or discomfort, which she must have suffered, is a breach of veterinary code of practices. I hope she's okay?

We had this in March before we changed vets.

They also refused a dental even though I knew it needed doing until it was an emergency. It was the final straw for us and although our new vet is much further away I feel so much more at ease now.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

That is quite shocking, your poor bunny[emoji26]. Did you complain. Surely to leave a rabbit in pain or discomfort, which she must have suffered, is a breach of veterinary code of practices. I hope she's okay?
She's fine thankyou. I ended up phoning a few days later and may have slightly exaggerated her not eating. [emoji38]

I would put a complaint in to the practice and the rcvs and move vets. It would be understandable (but not necessarily 'ok') if they had an emergency only policy, but to say cat and dog vaccines are more important than rabbit vaccines is disgusting. If an unvaccinated (or very overdue) rabbit caught either myxi or RHD, it's very unlikely they would survive

Back