• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for people handy with wood

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
Say I wanted to make a small platform, with a wooden thingie to sit on and four wooden legs. How would I attach the legs to the platform in a bunny-safe way? I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to use screws, nails, or glue, since they might chew it? Please keep in mind that I'm not a DIY expert and can't do anything very complicated. :lol:

Is this for you or the buns?
Either way I would use countersunk screws to fix the legs/support, whilst my Holly quite happily munches anything wooden, even she stops short of eating screws
I expect Mike will be along shortly with some suggestions
Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Oh, it's for the bunnies! Sorry, I should've made that clear. :lol: I admit I don't know what countersunk screws are. I will Google this. Thank you for your reply! :D

I have made similar, it's quite easy with confidence and a little know-how.

I have bought cut-to-size (my local builders' merchant has this service) 9mm plywood and used 2x2 planed timber for the legs, also cut to size. I have used (as Motty suggested) countersunk screws to fix the legs. ... two screws for each leg, but you could use more. Then attached carpet to it.

No bun has ever chewed the legs at the top end where the screws are.

Ah, I see! Google has just told me what countersunk screws are, so I know what you and Motty mean now. I was worried about the bunnies chewing the wood and somehow hurting their mouths on the screws, but that seems unlikely if it's done that way, especially if they don't chew the legs at the top... With carpet on top they can't get to the tops of the screws, either, so that's a good idea... Thank you, too, Bunny Buddy. :D

As an added question, say I were to use something like this as the top of the platform:

20428.jpg

Would there be a way to attach the legs without the screws showing, since that would look nicer and more natural? I like things to look nice. :lol:

If you screw a 1"X1" piece of wood into the underside of your log top, you can then screw legs or a support into the 1"X1" piece. No screws will show on the top.
I've done something similar using a few pieces of T&G, I will photograph the underside later today as that is easier than explaining it.

P
As an added question, say I were to use something like this as the top of the platform:

20428.jpg

Would there be a way to attach the legs without the screws showing, since that would look nicer and more natural? I like things to look nice. :lol:

I haven't looked, but you could probably buy some screw in legs, so the bracket goes under the wood and the legs screw into that.

If you screw a 1"X1" piece of wood into the underside of your log top, you can then screw legs or a support into the 1"X1" piece. No screws will show on the top.
I've done something similar using a few pieces of T&G, I will photograph the underside later today as that is easier than explaining it.

Thanks! I think I get what you mean, but seeing an example would be very helpful! :)

P

I haven't looked, but you could probably buy some screw in legs, so the bracket goes under the wood and the legs screw into that.
Ooh, that sounds like it would be nice and convenient! I'll have to look into that. Thank you for your idea. :)

If I can ask one more question, the example of the wood I showed earlier that I'm considering using as the platform is birch wood, and the internet tells me that birch wood is hard. Does that mean it would be difficult to get screws in? Would I need fancy power tools (that I don't have) to do it, or can I just use a basic screw driver?

A electric or battery powered drill would make the job MUCH easier as you could drill a through hole in the 1"X1" and a small pilot hole in the underside of the base.
Photos of the stool as mentioned earlier

d47cba361c8741295b0b439ceee99589.jpg

804b31d8a27e58eae8eb1eebfc94bbbc.jpg

b027f71352b72c7c7bbb9f2ea7740dc2.jpg

Oh, I see! Thank you so much for the pictures. :D I think I should be able to do that. I'll see if I can get an electric drill from somewhere.

Back