• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillian health update- at vets 7th january

Quick update at 5:30am on the 6th. Lillian was all over the place last night. The diazepam meant she couldn’t coordinate any movement and she had quite a task getting into the toilet area which has a lip round it. That was quite upsetting as her back legs just clattered off it.
Jane- you have no need to apologise - your time right now is more important spent with lord h.
Lilian had some fresh celery leaves which was encouraging before Leo decided to join in - he hasn’t quite grasped how poorly she is right now. Lillian had a few blueberries but certainly no real appetite. We have her water via syringe which she also enjoyed.I checked on her during the night - 1:30am she was back in the sleeping box and doing some grooming but not really much else. She was comfortable and sitting still so at least there’s no pressure from her bladder now.
I haven’t checked her for poop and wee as I just want to leave her to rest.
I checked a few more times during the night - didn’t get the times as I was too tired and it took me a while to warm up again on the settee.
So all seems relatively positive and ill update tonight.
Craig. Xx

Update on Lillian bun as I've not given everybun an update for a day. Well, it's not entirely positive.
Lillian had a reasonably comfortable night on Tuesday night through to Wednesday morning but had little energy or little desire to do much. She would nibble half heartidly on fresh parsley but not interested in anything else ie pellets or hay or even treats like blueberries or dried cranberries. She was also damp underneath yesterday morning but I think that was largely from her lying and sitting in the same spot. This means she is passing urine - which is positive. By tea time last night when I checked her underneath she presented as dry so I felt that was a positive. She looked brighter and I figured that with previous episides, it takes Lillian a few days to get back to her normal self and it takes alot of management to get her through the episodes.
She still wasnt keen on food and as the evening wore on I grew increasingly concerned. I cleaned their toilet area out and there was certainly evidence of pee and poop but hard to know which was Lillians and which was Leos. Leo wasn't helping cause every time I put nommy food down near Lillian, Leo decided to come and scoff it up. And it wasn't fair on either to then seperate them.
By about 9pm, having checked Lillian again she was damp underneath, and I took the decision to administer metaclopromide and to give her critical care mixture - which always becomes a bsttle. So we gave her these and left her to settle. She had a bit of a drink after the critical care and then sat in the toilet area. About an hour later she got the munchies and started to tuck into some celery leaves and fresh parsley and then Leo came and started to polish that off as well despite me luring him away with his favorite dried cranberries.
At about 10:30 She has some strage what appeared to be spasm attacks as it looked like she was trying to pee but couldn't and that flipped me out. This lasted about 10 minutes and then she settled and didn't appear to be in discomfort. We gave her metacam but I am unable to give her the cyctitis meds or gabapentin as Leo comes and eats the blueberries whihc hold the meds.
I spent another night on the sofa last night and checked on her through the night. At about 3:30 am I gave her some parsley which she nibbled at but seemed comfortable.
This morning there is a pile of fresh poops from where Lillian was sitting in the toilet area so I know these must be Lillians and therefore she is passing poop. This means gut movement. Her mat that she sits on was wet and there was evidence of pee so she is passing urine. But she was very wet underneath when I checked her and quite a strong smell of pee so I was more concerned this morning. Whilst I gently cleaned her, she passed urine during the cleaning but I am feeling a slight tension in her tummy and that's ringing alarm bells for me, although she is sitting comfortably without the shuffling every 30 seconds that we saw on Monday.
We gave her a watered down critical care mix under protest and some metacam but again, I can't get other meds in her. I've applied flamzene and where she sits is now damp so she is passing urine but not in a controlled way that I can see. Therefore I think there is some incontenance happening - although I'm only guessing.
She hasn't eaten anything this morning that I can see but she is sitting comfortably again at rest.
This leaves me concerned and worried even though I know it takes Lillian several days to overcome these bouts. As she is pooping and weeing then at least we know her gut has some movement and the pee is clear so no evidence of sludge.
The fact she does not seem to have proper control on her peeing is concerning me and so I have spoken to the vet hospital and I am taking her to the vet again this morning at 10am. I'm on furlough so it's fortunate that I am now arround for the next 6 days and I can monitor Lillian closely.
I'll update the thread when I get back from the vets.
Craig x

Back