• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UPDATE - Egg Shaped Poops - Dental Needed?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on Lily's Poops. They are egg shaped. I'm pretty sure they are Lily's and not Maple's. Reason being that Maple eats both types of hay I present them (stalky/thick ings hay from Hay and Straw, soft meadow hay from Haybox) - Lily will only eat the soft Haybox hay.

Neither of them were big hay eaters when they arrived. The hay I was given with them was from Wilko, and it was super dusty and smelt bad. Lily's poops did not used to be like this, but the grass has completely gone now since the summer, and I think she used to rely on that more.

So these are the things that have changed - she now lives in the shed with run, rather than the hutch they came with. She doesn't seem stressed at all - in fact she is happier - much more space to run around. Their pellets have changed since they were given to us, but that was months ago - from a pets at home brand to Burgess. But I'm thinking of transitioning back to the Allen & Page pellets I used to get for Hamilton and Jellybean, because yesterday I found a caecotrope in Ham & Jelly's shed compartment, which is the first time I've ever seen one from them before, and I read online that sometimes Burgess pellets seem to be more caecotrope-inducing? To be specific, they are Burgess Excell nuggets with mint.

A final point to make, which I think makes the most logical sense to me, is that she may need a dental. When we first took them to the vet when we got them for vaccinations and a general checkup, several months ago, Maple's Teeth were described as perfect, but we were told Lily's looked like they had a couple of spurs forming. I was instantly concerned and said should we book her in for a dental - vet said that they were too small to be of concern and that so long as she keeps eating hay, they'll go down on their own.

Well, she has been eating hay, but only soft hay. The stalky stuff (which my other three much prefer) she won't touch - I can only assume it's because she actually can't eat it, not because she doesn't want to? My gut instinct is to book her in for a dental. But I don't know if I should take her to be looked at first. She's a very nervous bunny, so I'd rather cut out the checkup if I can, especially because they have to go to a different place for dentals.

Any advice much appreciated - I've attached photos of the poops.

135492303_220352869585807_7134481663561790146_n by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Last edited:
Rabbit teeth: some tolerate spurs and hooks well, and some won't have any tiny growth at all in my vet's experience. Mine have rubbish teeth, Aboleth's were all over the place and somewhat spurred, and Lopsy's are pretty standard for lop teeth and also spurred; Chibbs' brachycephalic lionhead-head means she has hooks. All of mine tolerate their little growths fine BUT they are really good hay eaters. Currently they're only leaving the long straight stalks of whatever this farm hay is, they're eating the soft stuff and 'more robust' stalky bits. We get odd shaped poos all the time, but never for an extended period or 'all the time' in the sense of no normal poos. I'm also an advocate of avoiding the vets if at all possible with all mine, but if I were in your position, I think I'd get it checked out because she isn't eating the same as the rest. Plus checking now while she's otherwise doing OK means a better recovery from the horrible vets, right?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Rabbit teeth: some tolerate spurs and hooks well, and some won't have any tiny growth at all in my vet's experience. Mine have rubbish teeth, Aboleth's were all over the place and somewhat spurred, and Lopsy's are pretty standard for lop teeth and also spurred; Chibbs' brachycephalic lionhead-head means she has hooks. All of mine tolerate their little growths fine BUT they are really good hay eaters. Currently they're only leaving the long straight stalks of whatever this farm hay is, they're eating the soft stuff and 'more robust' stalky bits. We get odd shaped poos all the time, but never for an extended period or 'all the time' in the sense of no normal poos. I'm also an advocate of avoiding the vets if at all possible with all mine, but if I were in your position, I think I'd get it checked out because she isn't eating the same as the rest. Plus checking now while she's otherwise doing OK means a better recovery from the horrible vets, right?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Thank you so much for the advice, I completely agree that weird poops for a long time don't seem normal. Do you think I should take her for a checkup first, or straight to the dental vets? My local vets don't do dentals, so I have to go a bit further afield for them.

Is Lily the Bunny who produced excess/ unformed cecotrophs a couple of weeks ago ?

What fur colour is she , strange question, I know

Is Lily the Bunny who produced excess/ unformed cecotrophs a couple of weeks ago ?

What fur colour is she , strange question, I know

Yes, I'm pretty sure she is the one producing cecotrophs - there haven't been any for about a week but found some today (although fully formed little grape ones this time.) I'm going to assume it is her and not Maple, as Maple's poops are fine. She's fawn coloured.

1-2 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

These are the ones I'm giving them:

91xsLPt8GAL._AC_SL1500_ by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

These are the ones that I used to give Hamilton and Jellybean:

s-l1600 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

The other three have normal, golden coloured round poops 99% of the time though. I think I will switch back to Allen & Page anyway (they are extruded), I only switched to Burgess because they were the most similar to the pellets the girls used to be on in their old home, and they refused to eat the Allen & Page ones. I think that will sort out the ceco problem, but still doesn't explain why she won't eat the stalky hay - hence she may need a dental.

Update - we went to the vet and she says that Lily has a spur on one side of her mouth. She said it hasn't cut into her gums or tongue yet, but that is could cause enough discomfort to stop her from eating hay properly, so we are booked in for a dental on Friday - the earliest we can get an appointment.

Thanks everyone for your advice and support - hopefully this will sort us out.

Update - we went to the vet and she says that Lily has a spur on one side of her mouth. She said it hasn't cut into her gums or tongue yet, but that is could cause enough discomfort to stop her from eating hay properly, so we are booked in for a dental on Friday - the earliest we can get an appointment.

Thanks everyone for your advice and support - hopefully this will sort us out.

Good luck for the dental on Friday, sending lots of vibes for that x

Just to put my unqualified eggs in I have always had abit of trouble with excel and poops. Syrup used to produce some terrible ones on them and the same as one of my bridge bunnies. My buns are basically pellet free now so I wouldn’t be able to recommend a brand unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the vibes everyone!

Is it normal for a vet to check a bunny's teeth with their fingers, rather than the little otoscope tool? I have a different vet today and was quite shocked (and impressed) that she opened Lily's mouth with her fingers to look and felt around on her gums/teeth rather than looking through the tool. Lily really didn't like it at first, but she did calm down eventually.

Good luck for the dental on Friday, sending lots of vibes for that x

Just to put my unqualified eggs in I have always had abit of trouble with excel and poops. Syrup used to produce some terrible ones on them and the same as one of my bridge bunnies. My buns are basically pellet free now so I wouldn’t be able to recommend a brand unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've recently changed over Mouse from excel as they appeared to be upsetting her digestively & everything is much improved since. She'd had them years before without incident. J&B are on excel but changing over now too. My vet says science selective have higher fibre so thats our choice for now. I've been beating self up recently for syringe feeding rudey excel products ..maybe he'd have coped better with different brand?

Good luck for her dental beapig

I've recently changed over Mouse from excel as they appeared to be upsetting her digestively & everything is much improved since. She'd had them years before without incident. J&B are on excel but changing over now too. My vet says science selective have higher fibre so thats our choice for now. I've been beating self up recently for syringe feeding rudey excel products ..maybe he'd have coped better with different brand?

Thank you so much for letting me know this joey&boo, it's helpful to hear anecdotal advice from others that have found Excel to be no good. I will look into Science Selective. I bought the Allen & Page ones in the past, because the bag is paper rather than plastic and lots of people said they stopped their stasis bun from having issues (which I found to be true for Hamilton), but the name Breeder & Grower always put me off a bit, as good as they are.

I’ve always fed excel without any issues over the years. Please don’t beat yourself up about it, I’m sure that things wouldn’t have been any different on a different pellet, and we can only do the best we can with the knowledge that we had at that time. xx

I wouldn't, Atticus tolerates excel stuff fine and that recovery food they sell works much better than cc for him weirdly. I think it's just random chance tbh. I know lots of people have said their buns have had excess cecotropes on excel, none of mine had that issue though, including Atticus. We're pellet free now tho. If I do feed pellets it's the SS grain free ones (I don't think grain free is anything important tbh in bun food, but the normal ones really upset Atticus)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input everyone. I guess it must just depend on the bunnies as individuals. Ham & Jelly left cecotrophs the other day too, which to me is a sign that these pellets aren't right for any of them, so I'll be transitioning them back to Allen & Page I think.

Back