• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedtime buddies

We have had a difficult month with Mischief being poorly. For those who don't know, he has had fast breathing issues which were shown on X-ray to be fluid on the lungs. He has also had a nasty ear infection.

So this month we have had little sleep what with watching and counting his breathing, syringe feeding when he stopped eating and countless emergency visits to vets. Of course to add to the stress it has all happened around Xmas/New Year so vets are open limited hours aswell.

But the positive side has got to be the bond that has grown between us and Mischief our giant french lop. We have found strength in how Mischief seems to know we are helping him and even though he hates his syringe feeds and his meds, he sits there and takes them without too much fuss (most of the time).

The thing I have really noticed is snuggle time. He has always loved getting into bed with me in the morning since a kitten. As soon as we let him out his cage he would come and sit next to the bed and look at me, asking to come in my bed away from the chill until the heating kicks in.

And he would lie there under a blanket for 5-10 minutes while I stroked him and then, when he was nice and warm, would hop straight out again. He was a bit of a fidget though and would never sit still for long.

As I suffer from pain really badly at times I find it helps to cuddle up with him. For a few months last year I suffered from terrible neuralgia in my face and there were no painkillers that really helped it. Sometimes I could hardly breathe with the pain. But I found that if I lay with Mischief and buried my face in his fur it would calm me down and I could endure the pain better until it eventually went away. He seemed to know and we would lie there ages hardly moving all quiet and peaceful.

Since Mischief has been ill he has changed in his behaviour. It all started when his breathing was bad. One day he lay in bed with us. We were all completely shattered having spent the last week watching over him night and day.

I must have fallen asleep and when I opened my eyes Mischief was fast asleep in my arms. I lay there not daring to move in case I woke him. His dear little body was twitching in my arms as he gave little squeaks. Eventually he stirred and jumped up surprised and ran off the bed. My partner Phil said we were there fast asleep for at least half an hour. It was the first time he had ever really fallen asleep next to me.

Since then he regularly jumps up into bed with me. He lies his head and paws on my arm, always in the same position as he has done since a kitten. I put a light blanket over him (he seems to prefer to be slightly warmer) and he snuggles down. We put our faces to each others so we can feel each others breath and drift off.

As we have all been so tired recently it doesn't take long before we are asleep. I feel his little body twitching away and shuddering as he hops about the meadows in his dreams. Sometimes he wakes up, realises where he is, but then just moves position and settles down and falls asleep again.

I find it such an enlightening experience. To feel that peace lying there with him. And to know we have built up this amazing connection enough so that my little friend trusts me enough to fall asleep with me. I realise it's not a 'usual' thing for bunnies to sleep next to humans although I'm sure some of you have bunnies that do so aswell [emoji7]

My other bunny, Misty had to go into kennels for 3 months when I got evicted. We were extremely close before she went in there. I had a terrible time with illness and she was my rock throughout and my reason for getting up in the morning. I missed her so much [emoji22]

When she came home she never left my side. She followed me everywhere even sitting by my feet when I was on the loo [emoji23]

She slept by me every night. She would get up to use the litter tray or nibble some hay and then jump back up, lie her head on my arm and go back to sleep. And in the morning she would lie on my tummy and tap my face with her paw to wake me up for breakfast. My own personal alarm clock! [emoji1]

I wondered if anyone else has any stories like this? Any moments where you feel this absolute bond with your bunnies? Just thought it would be lovely to share them to start our New Year [emoji178]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Lovely story of how a bunny can improve your physical and mental health as you help the bunny. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful bond with your bunny.

My Inspector Morse. I have had MH problems all of my adult life, mainly Anorexia and PTSD. Morse was the only living being to whom I disclosed EVERYTHING that caused the illness of my mind. He knew when I was having a really bad day and he would go into overdrive with giving affection and doing funny Morse antics

NqttCej.jpg

OQg8hsO.jpg

TH6phiT.jpg

c1fAaVg.jpg

2ajCeF1.jpg

This year I have been diagnosed with a degenerative life limiting neurological condition and also sustained 8 fractured vertebrae. I miss Morse so, so much and I would do anything to have him back here with me. I have other Rabbits, a Dog and a Hamster. Of course I love all of them. But for me there will never be a living being, human or animal, like Inspector Morse.

So I can completely understand the bond you have with Mischief :love:

My Inspector Morse. I have had MH problems all of my adult life, mainly Anorexia and PTSD. Morse was the only living being to whom I disclosed EVERYTHING that caused the illness of my mind. He knew when I was having a really bad day and he would go into overdrive with giving affection and doing funny Morse antics

NqttCej.jpg

OQg8hsO.jpg

TH6phiT.jpg

c1fAaVg.jpg

2ajCeF1.jpg

This year I have been diagnosed with a degenerative life limiting neurological condition and also sustained 8 fractured vertebrae. I miss Morse so, so much and I would do anything to have him back here with me. I have other Rabbits, a Dog and a Hamster. Of course I love all of them. But for me there will never be a living being, human or animal, like Inspector Morse.

Inspector Morse had a beautiful soul. You are very blessed to have known him. Hugz [emoji178][emoji178]

Reading your post made me tear up, with happiness though. Animals are just amazing, you are very blessed to have such a lovely bond xx

Aww how sweet and beautiful. As a child I had a soul rabbit called Lady Alice. She was a soft grey colour. She lived in a large light outbuilding and would run over to see me and sit in my lap xxx She had 6 babies. We kept one of her sons who we had neutered.

They would both lie in a big rabbity puddle when I stroked their heads.

Thank you everyone. Yes he is a super bunny in our eyes. He has kept me going through the bad times when in terrible pain and struggling with mental health.

I have been very lucky with my bunnies. I have previously had 2 other giant french lop bunnies Misty and then Bonnie. Now Mischief. I also had a New Zealand White called Hutch when I was a young girl.

I have always loved bunnies. They are such gentle souls and very sensitive to your emotions I find. It gives me joy and peace to be around them. And with every day health issues Mischief is a rare gift xx

Aww how sweet and beautiful. As a child I had a soul rabbit called Lady Alice. She was a soft grey colour. She lived in a large light outbuilding and would run over to see me and sit in my lap xxx She had 6 babies. We kept one of her sons who we had neutered.

They would both lie in a big rabbity puddle when I stroked their heads.
Awwww Lady Alice. What a beautiful name [emoji7]

As I said in last post I had a New Zealand White called Hutch as a child. I used to let him out in our massive garden and he would run circles around me and I just loved it! And he would scoff all my Dad's marigolds! He would get cross [emoji23]

Do you have bunnies now? I think Hutch introduced me to how amazing buns are by having him as a child. I have always had bunnies since. I wonder if I would have had rabbits if it wasn't for Hutch? He brings back amazing memories [emoji178]

Lady Alice and her babies [emoji175]

NqttCej.jpg

OQg8hsO.jpg

TH6phiT.jpg

c1fAaVg.jpg

2ajCeF1.jpg

Jane, You were so lucky to have each other. I am thankful he kept you safe so we have the pleasure of your knowledge and wit today. Hugs.

Back