• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please-surprise litter of rabbits!!

Looking for a little advice. My rabbit had 3 kits yesterday morning which we were not prepared for! We’re told both rabbits were female when we got them!

She has done what she has meant to and pulled fur, made a nest, etc and I have given her a nesting box if she wants to move them into that. I have brought her inside with the babies and have left them in the downstairs bathroom, closed off from the rest of the household.

Should I be doing anything else other than feeding her extra, checking babies are warm?? I have separated the male (now I know he is male!) but will that just stress them all out?

Can I upload pictures on here to show the kits? Check they look healthy to everyone?

Thanks in advance.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

If the Buck was with the Doe when she kindled he is likely to already have impregnated her again as a Doe is highly fertile immediately after kindling. So another litter may arrive in about 32 days time.

The Buck needs to be kept well away from the Doe and neutered ASAP.

ETA Don’t take any photos of the Kits using a flash, it can damage the retinas of their eyes, even though their eyes will not have opened yet.

Last edited:
You must keep the boy separated now from the female, Sadly this may be too late as she may already be pregnant again but hopefully not. Is the Doe happy with you moving her as they don't tend to like being .
disturbed after kindling. She needs to be kept quiet so she can concentrate on being a Mum etc. Dad obviously will need to be neutered as soon as possible. How old is Mum?

Sadly don't have any advice as I've never had that but wanted to say Congratulations on the surprise baby buns :) hope you're able to get the buck snipped asap and you're able to keep the babies :)

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, thank you for your messages.

So basically what happened was.... I went out to feed my rabbits in the morning and noticed mum had pulled loads of fur out. I thought they may have had a fight but couldn’t see any fur missing from either! I remember reading about rabbits doing this before babies so I panicked but made a nesting box for her just in case. I was away from her hutch for approx 10 mins whilst I prepared a box for her, when I went back out to put it in..... she had her first baby! So I sat and watched her have the other 2. So the good news is I know that the male has not been near her since giving birth. I separated him whilst she was giving birth as I didn’t know if he would hurt the babies.

They have been separated since and she is inside with her babies. They are very close so I didn’t know if I should put her back outside with the babies so they can be together through the mesh (I have two hutches and runs which connect through mesh fencing which can block off each one) or leave them as they are? Would the babies die from cold?

Babies are on day 3 now. Don’t seem any different really but I have no idea if she is doing things ok..... they feel an ok temp, aren’t squeaking and are in a quiet room with mum but how do I know if she is feeding them enough? Would they have died by now if they hadn’t fed properly?

Mum is perfectly fine with me being around her and the babies. Sits at the side of me when I check her babies.

Thanks
Bryony

Sorry, I didn’t say.... they are netherland dwarf rabbits. Mum is approx 6-7 months old.

How do I post a pic for you all to see?

Thanks

Pleased you were able to separate Dad from Mum and I would now keep her inside. Rabbits only feed their babies once every 24 hours and you will probably miss her doing this. If the babies feel warm then they are ok. Dad will be ok but probably miss her but he won't mind. They will be able to be re-bonded when Mum has weaned her babies, between8 - 10 weeks old. Mums with babies like fresh grass and a few Dandelions, if you can find some. She won't need extra food until the babies are about 3 weeks old as they will be venturing out of the nest by then. Make sure she has water. It will be a wonderful experience for you to watch them grow. Any worries just ask for advice.

Pleased you were able to separate Dad from Mum and I would now keep her inside. Rabbits only feed their babies once every 24 hours and you will probably miss her doing this. If the babies feel warm then they are ok. Dad will be ok but probably miss her but he won't mind. They will be able to be re-bonded when Mum has weaned her babies, between8 - 10 weeks old. Mums with babies like fresh grass and a few Dandelions, if you can find some. She won't need extra food until the babies are about 3 weeks old as they will be venturing out of the nest by then. Make sure she has water. It will be a wonderful experience for you to watch them grow. Any worries just ask for advice.

Thank you so much!! Although it was a big shock, it was a lovely surprise. I’ve never seen baby bunnies before! Worrying like a first time mum :) what would you suggest I do with them when they are ready to leave mum? Rabbit rescue.... new homes.... keep them?!

I forgot to mention that there is a tutorial on how to post photos in the section How to Use the Forum. Most of us would possibly say to keep them but you will decide as they grow older what you want to do. Most Rescues are full most of the time and good homes are not easy to find. I would have to keep them myself.

I’m sad to say that 2 have died this evening. The last one doesn’t seem like it will survive. Seems to be gasping a bit. Sunken tummy and very wrinkled.
I put baby to mum to suckle but it seems too weak and mum doesn’t seem to have milk?! Not sure if that’s possible.

I’m gutted-I thought I had done everything right for them. :(

I found one out of the nest this afternoon and all seemed slightly cool. Another one was out of the nest later in the afternoon. Is it possible that mum was trying to get rid of them?

I don’t understand what went wrong :(

I am sorry you lost two of the babies and may loose the third. Years ago I lost two ND babies when the mom stomped them trying to deliver another stuck baby which was stillborn. My guess is the babies were trying to suckle and when mom jumped out of the nest box they were still attached and died of exposure. It is also possible she was not producing milk and she was unable to feed them. In which case mom may have moved them out of the nest box after they died.
If she was not producing milk, it would have been incredibly difficult to hand raise them and have them survive.

Aww no I'm sorry :( they could've been accidentally carried outside the nest attached to mum's test I think is possible? Or mum could've moved them outside if she was rejecting them. Do you have any substitute milk you could give the baby? If you contact your vet they may have some or could order some next day for you, Cimicat is the best as far as I'm aware. I hand reared some.babies through following this guide: https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/health/hand-rearing/

I am sorry to hear this. Are you going to keep Mum indoors now. The best thing is to get Dad neutered then in a few weeks they can be back together. It's 6 weeks actually. It's very sad but just something that happens at times. Nothing you did or didn't do.

Just leave your girl and babes quiet, she will only feed them 1-2 a day and you wont be likely to see her, give mum more hay and greens etc(if she is used to them) if babes are warm and relatively plump ie rounded tums,they are fine . Just leave her to sort them and enjoy, dont handle them unecessarily for a few days

Just leave your girl and babes quiet, she will only feed them 1-2 a day and you wont be likely to see her, give mum more hay and greens etc(if she is used to them) if babes are warm and relatively plump ie rounded tums,they are fine . Just leave her to sort them and enjoy, dont handle them unecessarily for a few days

:cry:

I’m sad to say that 2 have died this evening. The last one doesn’t seem like it will survive. Seems to be gasping a bit. Sunken tummy and very wrinkled.
I put baby to mum to suckle but it seems too weak and mum doesn’t seem to have milk?! Not sure if that’s possible.

I’m gutted-I thought I had done everything right for them. :(

I found one out of the nest this afternoon and all seemed slightly cool. Another one was out of the nest later in the afternoon. Is it possible that mum was trying to get rid of them?

I don’t understand what went wrong :(

Back