• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my rabbit was found dead with no head what can it be

Motty it was a size of a cat so I thought it must be impossible for a cat to rip her head off and thanks for your condolence

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you, completely horrific. My heart goes out to you. I agree with some who are saying that a fox attack would not have been as clean. I don't know if a post-mortem might help to determine what happened to your bun?

i'm so sorry. very distressing.

Motty it was a size of a cat so I thought it must be impossible for a cat to rip her head off and thanks for your condolence

imo a cat is a real possibility. especially as her body wasn't carried away.

Is it comon that cats are violent to rabbits? We have about 40 cats on our street, many of them visit the garden. The majority of them are scared of the rabbits and keep a wide berth. A new cat that moved in behind us recently, which is super friendly, jumped in the run to check them out. Jellybean charged at the cat and knocked it over, kicking it with her hind legs, the poor cat was mortified. Thankfully the cat was fine, but I feel bad that I didn't get to them in time, as I know Jellybean hates cats and she will go for them instantly.

I've never heard of cats attacking rabbits before, but your comment makes me feel that I should be more cautious. Maybe I'm just lucky with the cats on my street.

Is it comon that cats are violent to rabbits? We have about 40 cats on our street, many of them visit the garden. The majority of them are scared of the rabbits and keep a wide berth. A new cat that moved in behind us recently, which is super friendly, jumped in the run to check them out. Jellybean charged at the cat and knocked it over, kicking it with her hind legs, the poor cat was mortified. Thankfully the cat was fine, but I feel bad that I didn't get to them in time, as I know Jellybean hates cats and she will go for them instantly.

I've never heard of cats attacking rabbits before, but your comment makes me feel that I should be more cautious. Maybe I'm just lucky with the cats on my street.

cats come in all temperaments & it only takes one :(

My personal opinion is that a cat certainly wouldn’t take off the whole head of a rabbit cleanly, their jaws aren’t big enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A conti x French lop's head would be about the same size as a large cat, if not bigger - Odin's head is bigger than the average cat. Cats won't go anywhere near my two, they are far too big, Freja is bigger than your average cat and would rip a cat apart very quickly if she kicked out in self defence.
Totally different story to small rabbits.

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you, completely horrific. My heart goes out to you. I agree with some who are saying that a fox attack would not have been as clean. I don't know if a post-mortem might help to determine what happened to your bun?

Exactly what a fox did to one of my girls, left her headless with not a speck of blood anywhere

Back