• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit snorting

CraigJ82

New Kit
Hi, we've had our Minilop Cherry for a few months now, since she was around 8 weeks old. Straight away we noticed she makes a funny snorting noise when she got excited or scared. After around 3 months we noticed one day that she was making it on every breath and it was much, much louder, like she couldn't get her breath. We took her to the vets but they couldn't diagnose it and gave us antibiotics. The next day it was fine and she was breathing normally again but we finished the course of antibiotics just in case.

She always makes the noises but normally its only slight and doesn't appear to bother her but every couple of weeks she'll make the loud noises again and looks like she can't breath properly. She eats and drinks fine, even at its worse. It normally only lasts 24 hours. Randomly if you stretch her out on her tummy the noise goes away.

Can anyone shed any light into this? This is our first rabbit so we're not sure if this is normal. I have a couple of videos of the noise but I don't know how to upload them.

Edit: Here's the videos:
https://imgur.com/gallery/Wi6ErC4

Thanks,
Craig

Last edited:
Could be allergy related

I'd remove the sawdust as it is known to irritate the respiratory tract. Try something like Megazorb instead. https://www.millbryhill.co.uk/equestrian-c4/megazorb-p744

Re the seed treat she is eating. These are not suitable for Rabbits, despite the claim by the manufacturers and Pet Shops that they are. So I would opt for giving natural treats like fresh herds, dried forage etc.

Dont have any advice unfortunately but Zeus does this too!!! It's not always either, mostly when he's in breadloaf and sleeping or excited from having banana treats.
I've spoken to my vet a few times about it as well and he's always been in perfect health.

No idea what it can be and figured he's just a bit of a snotty bunny, maybe it's a white furred blue eyed lop trait [emoji848]

Cherry looks like a female Zeus as well [emoji173]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Thanks for this! Its annoying that we bought this bunny treat from a reputable pet shop. This was the first and last time I'll give it to her.

I'll also give the Megasorb a try 👍

Hi all, just to give you an update as this might help other bunnies with the same problem.

We switched her sawdust for Carefresh and it seems to have worked. She does still make the snorting sound occasionally but nowhere near as often or as bad.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Hi all, just to give you an update as this might help other bunnies with the same problem.

We switched her sawdust for Carefresh and it seems to have worked. She does still make the snorting sound occasionally but nowhere near as often or as bad.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Great news :love:

I am so pleased you took the advice given and hopefully your Bunny will be much healthier now. Some use non-clumping cat litter as well.

Back