• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A new hay for a new year

Maple as a hay cookie connoisseur can say that the Rosewood ones are the best. We have tried galens garden ones, the from nature’s own. Pets at home own cookies comes second but we don’t like to give them the money unless going in there for emergency equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds fab. Are yours good hay eaters?

Freja is, Odin not so much, though he used to be before Freja came and I've seen him eat more recently so maybe the stress of bonding put him off for a while. I'd like him to eat more, his output is never as good as hers sizewise. But they eat a lot of fresh too so I'm not sure how much hay is realistic any more! Difficult to assess too tbh as they have hay all over the place, in so many beds, so I can only really judge on what I see them eat.

Considering she can't control her limbs very well she does an excellent job at mind control :lol:

I hope she likes them too. i think Rosewood ones have generally been the highest ranked in our warren. I'm pretty sure J&B will help out if necessary though they make a right mess on the carpet

What hay should I buy next?

We've just had a delivery of the stalky from timothyhay.co.uk and it's very good quality, although Mousey prefers it a bit softer I think. Mine won't eat any type of hay cookie, but it they still seem to get it spread all over the floor.

Maple as a hay cookie connoisseur can say that the Rosewood ones are the best. We have tried galens garden ones, the from nature’s own. Pets at home own cookies comes second but we don’t like to give them the money unless going in there for emergency equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does she still pack a few away each day? Bless her. Where do you get yours - do you bulk buy?

Freja is, Odin not so much, though he used to be before Freja came and I've seen him eat more recently so maybe the stress of bonding put him off for a while. I'd like him to eat more, his output is never as good as hers sizewise. But they eat a lot of fresh too so I'm not sure how much hay is realistic any more! Difficult to assess too tbh as they have hay all over the place, in so many beds, so I can only really judge on what I see them eat.

I'm very interested in giant bunny poo :lol: Does Freja make marbles? Yes I can imagine its harder to monitor as they'll have so much more hay than inside bunnies generally do. Mousey's hay never seems to go down before its cleaned out but I spend hours with her (she's in my lounge) & she does eat it, but its fairly slow & single strands, J&B ram it in.

We've just had a delivery of the stalky from timothyhay.co.uk and it's very good quality, although Mousey prefers it a bit softer I think. Mine won't eat any type of hay cookie, but it they still seem to get it spread all over the floor.

Tempting - we are actually stalky free at the moment except for haybox which they've gone off. I think Mouse likes softer hays but her favourite before Christmas was Burns green oat hay & thats all stalk & seed. We've run out of that actually.

Hopefully I'll chill out with the hay obsession when forage season arrives

I'm very interested in giant bunny poo :lol: Does Freja make marbles? Yes I can imagine its harder to monitor as they'll have so much more hay than inside bunnies generally do. Mousey's hay never seems to go down before its cleaned out but I spend hours with her (she's in my lounge) & she does eat it, but its fairly slow & single strands, J&B ram it in.

Haha, much to my husband's disappointment they don't poo marbles :lol:, I've got no scale reference to normal rabbits but Freja's are more akin to sheep pellet size if that helps? Odin's are smaller and tend to be a bit darker and a bit less round, depending what he's eaten. I think he was quite spoiled in his previous home as his food preferences are terrible - though he is improving over time. Harder in the winter as their fresh food has to be mostly bought and isn't nearly as good as the amount of foraging I can do in the warmer months, but they have a lot of dried forage too. She will happily switch between fresh and dried and hay and veg all the time, but he tends to eat the fresh til it's gone - though it does vary depending on the weather! He's never been any different though, so I think it might just be him.
I used to have hay racks to try and judge amounts more but neither of them use them and prefer to have big hay beds instead.
Happy to provide giant poo photos if you'd like :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Haha, much to my husband's disappointment they don't poo marbles :lol:, I've got no scale reference to normal rabbits but Freja's are more akin to sheep pellet size if that helps? Odin's are smaller and tend to be a bit darker and a bit less round, depending what he's eaten. I think he was quite spoiled in his previous home as his food preferences are terrible - though he is improving over time. Harder in the winter as their fresh food has to be mostly bought and isn't nearly as good as the amount of foraging I can do in the warmer months, but they have a lot of dried forage too. She will happily switch between fresh and dried and hay and veg all the time, but he tends to eat the fresh til it's gone - though it does vary depending on the weather! He's never been any different though, so I think it might just be him.
I used to have hay racks to try and judge amounts more but neither of them use them and prefer to have big hay beds instead.
Happy to provide giant poo photos if you'd like :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes please

A good few years ago Mouse did a poo on the consulting table & the vet said it was the largest bunny poo she had ever seen & she had a giant. I think it may have been the proudest moment of my life

[/B]

Yes please

A good few years ago Mouse did a poo on the consulting table & the vet said it was the largest bunny poo she had ever seen & she had a giant. I think it may have been the proudest moment of my life

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I shall pick some up tonight and find a scale reference for you :D

Here's J&B poo referenced on pound coin. Photo is from last year but I'm still proud of their poops. I wish Mousey would poop better though

ZifMQjcl.jpg

About hay cookies, do they have actual long strands of hay inside, or do they break into little pieces? I've never had any, and am wondering if Sophie and Casper would like them.

Also, j&b, I understand the hay obsession. Since Casper and Sophie's favourite hay became unavailable a few years ago (it was long, stalky timothy hay from Sweden) I have been buying so many different hays, trying to find one they like as much as their old favourite. No luck so far, but I have my eye on a store that sells timothy hay here that I haven't tried yet...

About hay cookies, do they have actual long strands of hay inside, or do they break into little pieces? I've never had any, and am wondering if Sophie and Casper would like them.

Also, j&b, I understand the hay obsession. Since Casper and Sophie's favourite hay became unavailable a few years ago (it was long, stalky timothy hay from Sweden) I have been buying so many different hays, trying to find one they like as much as their old favourite. No luck so far, but I have my eye on a store that sells timothy hay here that I haven't tried yet...

Its hard to tell as they are pretty hard but I think it'll be compressed short strands. They quickly become piles of grass dust in the company of bunnies though:lol: I guess its worth trying S&C . Some bunnies seem to love them, others totally unimpressed. Aww that's a shame you can't find their dream hay anymore, lets hope the new timothy store sells tasty stuff

My guys have just been trying the ryegrass hay I got for the ponies as an emergency but it's too rich for them longterm - the buns seems to think it's amazing though! Be great if they like it, I can get 12kg compressed bags from the agri store on the way to work so a bit more convenient. Happy to send a handful if anyone wants to try it who can get it locally - it's M&T Haylage company ryegrass hay.

Sounds good, I’ll see if I can get it at the equine feed store:love:

yeah TBH they weren't that fussed. Half off them were off loaded to Pepper & Tulip in their scooby snack shed box :oops::lol:

:lol: Frosty liked it, and he was so fussy it was hard to find hay he liked. Fern is a hay hoover and I think she would eat anything :lol:

[/B]

Yes please

:lol: :love:

Its hard to tell as they are pretty hard but I think it'll be compressed short strands. They quickly become piles of grass dust in the company of bunnies though:lol: I guess its worth trying S&C . Some bunnies seem to love them, others totally unimpressed. Aww that's a shame you can't find their dream hay anymore, lets hope the new timothy store sells tasty stuff
Hm, I think they will probably not be very interested, then, as they don't care much for short strands, but I'll try hay cookies sometime. They might surprise me! They do like to make a mess. :lol: And, yeah, hopefully this new timothy hay I want to get will be their new dream hay.

Here's J&B poo referenced on pound coin. Photo is from last year but I'm still proud of their poops. I wish Mousey would poop better though

ZifMQjcl.jpg
[/IMG]

That is impressive poo! Freja's is probably not dissimilar, though maybe not so fibrous - mine have a high fresh content diet so they are never going to look like rabbits who rely more on dried foods, and today might not be the best day to compare as they've been in the garden so will have had a lot of fresh grass instead, but I'll see what there is when we muck out tonight!

That is impressive poo! Freja's is probably not dissimilar, though maybe not so fibrous - mine have a high fresh content diet so they are never going to look like rabbits who rely more on dried foods, and today might not be the best day to compare as they've been in the garden so will have had a lot of fresh grass instead, but I'll see what there is when we muck out tonight!

Yeah its true, when my bunnies are on their preferred diets (loads of fresh forage come spring) their poo is less golden & hay like.

Yeah its true, when my bunnies are on their preferred diets (loads of fresh forage come spring) their poo is less golden & hay like.

Yeah, we're used to Odin as he's been on a fresh food diet since we had him, wild forage and garden forage, so we never really saw the "golden poo". Freja came a bit late to really enjoy that to it's full extent (changed her very slowly as she'd been a pellet and hay girl and she was 5 months when she came which apparently is prime time for giants to stasis) so we've never really seen her on a more fresh and varied diet.

Back