• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A new hay for a new year

To reinforce what J&B says, clover is generally OK in hay as there's not a dignificant amount, same goes for pretty much everything in hay (daisies come to mind!). Mine get hay with more or less other things in it and they've always been fine with it :) Their current selection has lots of oats and some other cereals, plus some very seedy grasses and they love eating the seeds first :) Gives them something to do, rummaging through the hay!

Ha. Yesterday I thought I'd tracked down the local farm with recommended hay - turns out they only do haylage now. This was so fortunate as the M&t rye hay arrived today & once out of its nicely compact bag it quadrupled in size:lol:. it now fills a timothyhay.co.uk sack to the brim .

Timothy hay, soft brown hay, meadow hay, rye hay, green oat hay, hay cookies (natures own, rosewood & galens garden bricks, green oat readigrass. I don't need more

The bunny store cupboard is annoying full of bulky stuff I could do with selling. I've got a puppy pen, big plastic dog beds, veg dehydrator, baby gate that are taking up all the hay room

The bunny store cupboard is annoying full of bulky stuff I could do with selling. I've got a puppy pen, big plastic dog beds, veg dehydrator, baby gate that are taking up all the hay room
Eurgh, tell me about it! Can't wait for Freecycle to be open again... I think selling sites, pickups for stuff etc. can all resume once 'stay at home' order is over, so end of March ish. Probably the only thing I'm REALLY looking forward to now I think about it :lol:

I know what you mean about haylage :roll: Only one place within 20mi of here does hay* and it's 'on the way' (ish) to Newark, so it's quite a long trip if I'm not going to the Air Museum. Hopefully be back there end of March ish as well (volunteers in before paying public!) as my fulltime works stops end of March as well :D

*OK there's also a place in Ripley as well but they don't have it in all the time :roll:

Ha. Yesterday I thought I'd tracked down the local farm with recommended hay - turns out they only do haylage now. This was so fortunate as the M&t rye hay arrived today & once out of its nicely compact bag it quadrupled in size:lol:. it now fills a timothyhay.co.uk sack to the brim .

Timothy hay, soft brown hay, meadow hay, rye hay, green oat hay, hay cookies (natures own, rosewood & galens garden bricks, green oat readigrass. I don't need more

I haven’t taken my M&T hay out of the bags :lol: it’s tricky getting it out though because it’s so tightly packed. Fern gives me lots of nose barges on my shins to hurry me up with it :lol:

I haven’t taken my M&T hay out of the bags :lol: it’s tricky getting it out though because it’s so tightly packed. Fern gives me lots of nose barges on my shins to hurry me up with it :lol:

You might find it easier to open down the side rather than the top, they are generally packed vertically rather than horizontally. Doesn't help this time but for the future it's worth a try.

Oh my word, there's no way I'd have the patience to keep trying to pull that out from the bag, its so tight. No wonder Fern gets impatient. I could only pull out bits too. Seeing it all the strands are quite varied which I like.

You might find it easier to open down the side rather than the top, they are generally packed vertically rather than horizontally. Doesn't help this time but for the future it's worth a try.

I’ve made a slit a little way down the bag to loosen it but I think I’m going to open it in the hay shed and decant it into a box, so I’ll probably slit it down the side!

Oh my word, there's no way I'd have the patience to keep trying to pull that out from the bag, its so tight. No wonder Fern gets impatient. I could only pull out bits too. Seeing it all the strands are quite varied which I like.

I fill up one hay rack with other hay first, but the M&T is her favourite so I still get hurried along :lol:

I know what you mean Zoobec, the P@H emergency hay I had was so tight I was trying to shove it in the hutch litter tray while Chibbs was trying to come out and it was mostly unsuccessful (as long as I didn't want Chibbs escaping :lol:), so I took it back in the garage and pulled pieces out into a box and THEN took it to the hutch :roll:

these are the ingredients: I'm surprised by a few, mainly speedwell & ground ivy

Permanent meadows (timothy, meadow fescue, meadow foxtail, ryegrass, red fescue, blue grass, cocksfoot, velvet grass, annual panicle grass, white ragweed, vernal grass, couch grass, tussock grass, reed canary grass, white clover, red clover, dandelion leaves, yarrow herb, ribwort, caraway, cow parsley, meadow sweet, common hornwort, bedstraw, thyme-leaved speedwell, bush vetch, comfrey, bedstraw-meadow thistle, ground ivy, daisies, germander speedwell, lady's mantle, greater burnet-saxifrage, narrow-leaved vetch, meadow saxifrage, spring cinquefoil, green field-speedwell, common whitlow-grass, autumn dandelion, red ragweed, cowslip, small clover), sunflower seed extracted, linseed extracted, fruit pomace, carrot pomace, wheat bran, rape seed extracted

these are the ingredients: I'm surprised by a few, mainly speedwell & ground ivy

Permanent meadows (timothy, meadow fescue, meadow foxtail, ryegrass, red fescue, blue grass, cocksfoot, velvet grass, annual panicle grass, white ragweed, vernal grass, couch grass, tussock grass, reed canary grass, white clover, red clover, dandelion leaves, yarrow herb, ribwort, caraway, cow parsley, meadow sweet, common hornwort, bedstraw, thyme-leaved speedwell, bush vetch, comfrey, bedstraw-meadow thistle, ground ivy, daisies, germander speedwell, lady's mantle, greater burnet-saxifrage, narrow-leaved vetch, meadow saxifrage, spring cinquefoil, green field-speedwell, common whitlow-grass, autumn dandelion, red ragweed, cowslip, small clover), sunflower seed extracted, linseed extracted, fruit pomace, carrot pomace, wheat bran, rape seed extracted

Yes. me too, also Cowslip. Would be small quantities, but why use them at all?

Back