• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A new hay for a new year

did you get first or 2nd cut ryegrass? Mouse needs to put on weight so it could be good for her but on the other hand I'm sick of chasing dreamy hay & did promise Bob I'd make sure we had enough food this month before I add to the hay tower. Dilemmas

did you get first or 2nd cut ryegrass? Mouse needs to put on weight so it could be good for her but on the other hand I'm sick of chasing dreamy hay & did promise Bob I'd make sure we had enough food this month before I add to the hay tower. Dilemmas

I don’t know it doesn’t say, although I’m sure they would tell you. I’ve taken photos of the nutritional blurb they sent for each hay and I’ll post them on here later between shifts if I get chance.

many thanks for all that Zoobec

No problem. Bunny cam update- I think all the ryegrass has gone, quite a bit of Timothy, looks like she hasn’t bothered with the meadow hay. Just shows how if I’d have smelt it to choose for her I’d have picked meadow!

Awwww she must really love it:love: Good girl Fern, keep yourself trim & healthy

I wonder if theyd sell me 3 sample bags but all rye grass :lol: I meant to call them to see whats what but can't stop procrastinating.

Awwww she must really love it:love: Good girl Fern, keep yourself trim & healthy

I wonder if theyd sell me 3 sample bags but all rye grass :lol: I meant to call them to see whats what but can't stop procrastinating.

I’m sure they would be happy to help. The gentlemen I spoke to was very helpful and asking about what animals I was going to feed the hay to. I told him about the goats and when I said I’d just lost a bunny and only got Fern now he said he was sorry to hear about that :love:

The meadow hay is the nicest smelling hay I’ve ever smelt. Fern is just finishing the Timothy hay now! I’m planning on buying 12kg packs of the Timothy and the rye, and some baled meadow hay for the goats.

I am more than happy to send you some if you just want the ryegrass - and if you try it and she likes it then I would happily fill a box for you if you just cover the cost of postage and the precentage of hay by weight (which isn't going to be much really as I only pay about £5-6 for the bale!) if cost and storage of a huge bale are an issue.

I’m sure they would be happy to help. The gentlemen I spoke to was very helpful and asking about what animals I was going to feed the hay to. I told him about the goats and when I said I’d just lost a bunny and only got Fern now he said he was sorry to hear about that :love:

The meadow hay is the nicest smelling hay I’ve ever smelt. Fern is just finishing the Timothy hay now! I’m planning on buying 12kg packs of the Timothy and the rye, and some baled meadow hay for the goats.

Does your supplier have all the options? Sadly mine only have ryegrass (sad for me and the ponies), they would order me a pallet of one of the others but not for a while as they would need to buy a wagonload.

I am more than happy to send you some if you just want the ryegrass - and if you try it and she likes it then I would happily fill a box for you if you just cover the cost of postage and the precentage of hay by weight (which isn't going to be much really as I only pay about £5-6 for the bale!) if cost and storage of a huge bale are an issue.

That is very kind:love: I'd love to try Mousey on this stuff. Yes please, I'll take you up on the offer of a taster. Mouseys hay consumption has picked up a bit with her metacam increase but I still feel their is progress to be made? Do your bunnies want to try anything from the Trawden Warren?

Does your supplier have all the options? Sadly mine only have ryegrass (sad for me and the ponies), they would order me a pallet of one of the others but not for a while as they would need to buy a wagonload.

My usual supplier only has their haylage so no good for goats and bunnies, but I’m close enough to drive to them to collect, or they do nationwide delivery anyway :thumb:

Do you buy the premium ryegrass plastic 12.5kg wrapped or the standard 2 string baled one?

Oh you're lucky if you live close enough to collect!! I get the wrapped ryegrass.

Yes, although you are lucky if you can buy it at £5 or £6 :lol: I think they quoted me £9 if I can remember rightly. Although that was just buying a few bales at a time.

Yes, although you are lucky if you can buy it at £5 or £6 :lol: I think they quoted me £9 if I can remember rightly. Although that was just buying a few bales at a time.

Do you know what delivery is on top of the £9 bag?

Do you know what delivery is on top of the £9 bag?

No, I didn’t ask, as I’d realised they were close enough to do a collection, so I can go and get a few weeks supply each time for the goats and Fern. The goats will love the meadow hay, even if Fern doesn’t :lol:

I wonder how much it would cost to send a 12kg by hermes or something?
I just find the price of "rabbit" hay is totally insane, I object to paying more than a fiver for a full 20-25kg bale, the bagged stuff is a luxury because I didn't have a choice and it's easier for me with a severe hay allergy, but I don't mind buying that for the buns, it's not crazy price - though I will try them with the ponies new hay that is coming tomorrow too.

ETA I use hay for their bedding, in their litter trays, and for eating, so I get through a lot - I might feel differently if I had rabbits that eat it all and don't "waste" so much.

Last edited:
I wonder how much it would cost to send a 12kg by hermes or something?
I just find the price of "rabbit" hay is totally insane, I object to paying more than a fiver for a full 20-25kg bale, the bagged stuff is a luxury because I didn't have a choice and it's easier for me with a severe hay allergy, but I don't mind buying that for the buns, it's not crazy price - though I will try them with the ponies new hay that is coming tomorrow too.

ETA I use hay for their bedding, in their litter trays, and for eating, so I get through a lot - I might feel differently if I had rabbits that eat it all and don't "waste" so much.

Just put in fake parcel in at Hermes site. Looks like £8-£10 ish depending on times, reckon DPD would be similar & thats the company hay suppliers seem to use

Just put in fake parcel in at Hermes site. Looks like £8-£10 ish depending on times, reckon DPD would be similar & thats the company hay suppliers seem to use

I would contact M&T to ask. They might already supply it to feed places nearby, or be able to include it on a delivery to them. Or they could deliver direct to you. They used dhl to send out the sample pack.

So, I went to collect hay today from M&T haylage I got 2 bales of the Meadow hay for the goats, the normal 2 string bale size, and I got Fern a bale of the ryegrass and a bale of the Timothy hay, that’s the premium stuff and is in plastic wrap. It’s very compact, the 12kg is compressed into a bale that’s 40cm x 25cm x 60cm that will be very handy for storage. They were very friendly, helpful, it’s all very professional, very clean and I was definitely impressed. I’ll definitely be going back there again! Thankyou Dollyanna :wave::love:

Back