• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a female rabbit who has just lost her sister

01wellsd

New Kit
Hi All,
This is my first post 🙂

Our 9 year old lionhead has just lost her sister and we wanted her to have a companion to keep her company.
We picked up a 7 month old female lionhead the other day. She is on the waiting list to be spayed.

I have set up 2 pens next to each other so that they can see each other, but a couple of times they have nipped each other through the bars, and the new one is spraying a lot 🙁

Am I doing anything wrong? I’m worried about introducing them properly until the spaying is complete

siS7xwR

Last edited:
Hi All,
This is my first post 🙂

Our 9 year old lionhead has just lost her sister and we wanted her to have a companion to keep her company.
We picked up a 7 month old female lionhead the other day. She is on the waiting list to be spayed.

I have set up 2 pens next to each other so that they can see each other, but a couple of times they have nipped each other through the bars, and the new one is spraying a lot 🙁

Am I doing anything wrong? I’m worried about introducing them properly until the spaying is complete

siS7xwR

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave: I'm sorry for the loss of your bunny.

Firstly and sorry to say this, but I think it might have been easier to have chosen a neutered male as a friend for your girl. It's likely she will have been happily bonded previously as the other female was her sister. However, that's not to say that this bond won't work, but it might be more difficult.

If I were you I would keep the two bunnies completely separate, ideally so they cannot see nor smell each other, until your new bunny has had her spay. How they are behaving with each other now is no indication of how they will behave when they meet, but it might leave negative memories. Your new bunny is spraying because she is hormonal. After her spay I would leave it for 4-6 weeks so that her hormones have completely gone, before attempting to bond them.

Your 9 year old lionhead will be very territorial and so any eventual putting together of the two bunnies must be done in a completely neutral area.

They are both gorgeous. I hope it all works out.

When bonding my quad, many years ago, I found that minor spats could be calmed down with large piles of grass or forage. Any food in fact. Often the sound of soothing words helped.

I had a large pen for them in my bedroom and they had a litter tray ech plus one extra.

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave: I'm sorry for the loss of your bunny.

Firstly and sorry to say this, but I think it might have been easier to have chosen a neutered male as a friend for your girl. It's likely she will have been happily bonded previously as the other female was her sister. However, that's not to say that this bond won't work, but it might be more difficult.

If I were you I would keep the two bunnies completely separate, ideally so they cannot see nor smell each other, until your new bunny has had her spay. How they are behaving with each other now is no indication of how they will behave when they meet, but it might leave negative memories. Your new bunny is spraying because she is hormonal. After her spay I would leave it for 4-6 weeks so that her hormones have completely gone, before attempting to bond them.

Your 9 year old lionhead will be very territorial and so any eventual putting together of the two bunnies must be done in a completely neutral area.

I completely agree with this. Maybe your new Rabbit isn't a female but a male as it is the boys who do most of the spraying but actually it might be easier to bond her with a boy rather than a girl. Sorry you lost your Rabbit.

Back