• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Take Two Fingers Crossed

Well we're two hours in and so far no injuries!

Although not much interest either. They've sniffed each other twice and Blossom flinched away both times so thinking Rodney is going teeth first.

We are now sleeping warily but I'm getting nervous for the bounds of energy they're likely to wake up with!
cb0de7deba0271c11c7b4b88128905bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thank you we're still going!

Still not much interaction. Some nose bumps but then Rodney almost makes like a pouncing movement.

They appear to have claimed corners of the neutral pen and seem content to not interact much at all.

Should we make the pen smaller?

I,d get the two foot to step out of the pen and put two water bowls down, not just one. Also, sprinkle a few pellets around to get them interested in foraging.

Rodney is pouncing as he has to show his dominance over the female. As soon as he is satisfied that she knows who is the boss he will stop doing this. They look ok from the photo and if they are litter trained I always put a litter tray in with them and quite a few treats as eating together helps them to be more at ease with one another.

She's just lunged at him but just pulled fur now.

I was just thinking about a 2nd water bowl and a loo. I'm gonna stand in with them instead now as they're sulking.
d9480bd0ec5ecc793a60ce3f1fca34ad.jpg

I'll add some forage in as we're a nugget free household these days.

She seems to insist that he will groom her but shes very quick to get out of the way of the lunges.

I so hate doing this it seems so awful even though i know the end result is worth it.

Sending lots of good wishes and happy vibes to Rodney and Blossom. I hope they play nicely.

They appear to have claimed corners of the neutral pen and seem content to not interact much at all.

Should we make the pen smaller?

Ignoring is normal, you could try putting the hay/forage in the middle, to try to get them to interact. They might interact more if there’s no human in the pen with them? I don’t normally get in with them, You could try making the pen smaller, depends on the bunnies though, with the Frosty and Fern I had a big pen as she was nervous . I think it’s good if it’s squared off so there’s no narrowed parts, I think bunnies find it difficult to trust one another at first. I agree with Jane about 2 water bowls, I wouldn’t use litter trays as they often seem to be claimed as theirs.

It's hard to tell, Rodney is upset and sticking to one corner mostly.

Blossom seems her usual self if a bit growly.

We've withdrawn for now, it was mostly due to my terror of another fight with injuries after our last attempt.

We seem to be having increasing spats now, she desperately wants a groom and he wants his space for now. I guess it'll just take time for his trust to build.

They've settled down for another nap, they seem quite tired but we plucked them out of their homes at sleepy time earlier as we thought it might help a bit.
67736812996d6dca49a97340846da64f.jpg

I fear I am not going to be forgiven for this any time soon.

Rodney just tells her off whenever she comes near but shes getting much better at determining when she's too close.

It's going to be a long night!
fc99da886b74df915318856b2f862eed.jpg

This looks really promising but which bunny is Blossom? Glad you put a litter tray in, they seem to like that (if they are used to one).

I hope they are still doing ok. Those photos of you sat in the pen made me giggle - only cos I have so many photos of me in a bonding pen too :lol: Theres actually more photos of me in a bonding pen than Boo who would always escape & carry on life as normal outside of the pen

Blossom is the grey in the litter box. And poor hubby in the pen. Whenever I get in Blossom requests grooms incessantly I suspect trying to reinforce herself as my and Rodney's top bun [emoji848]

We have a biggish scuffle overnight with lots of fur flying but no injuries. Poor Rodney's mane is just a bit henpecked.

Neither bun seem keen to concede defeat on the dominating front but there is still some signs of hope as Rodney has flopped for a bit so is relaxing slightly.

Blossom is the grey in the litter box. And poor hubby in the pen. Whenever I get in Blossom requests grooms incessantly I suspect trying to reinforce herself as my and Rodney's top bun [emoji848]

We have a biggish scuffle overnight with lots of fur flying but no injuries. Poor Rodney's mane is just a bit henpecked.

Neither bun seem keen to concede defeat on the dominating front but there is still some signs of hope as Rodney has flopped for a bit so is relaxing slightly.

I've just woken up as I stayed with them all night so hubby has done the morning shift.

They are very sulky and sleepy and no interaction to report. Learning to trust each other slowly I suspect as I think they're slightly closer.

a056d0af1ff3a65f25c7e714fba4caa5.jpg

They are very unhappy unfortunately I suspect partly as I've not dated to put their heat pads in for them to fight over and they both prefer sleeping with those.

It's the coldest night we've had here in Devon I think and although the heating is on I wonder if that's affecting their mood and sleepiness.

Rodney lunges at her if she gets too close while he has food but is happy for her to eat from another pile. He is known for food aggression, previously scatter feeding has been required to help manage this so I think possible may need to restart that.

Back