• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit died during neuter

Lunaandnev

New Kit
Hi all,

I’m so so sad that I’m even having to write this. My beloved house bunny Neville passed away today, having had a bad reaction to anaesthetic during his neuter. He had a pre-neuter check and was told he was completely heathy and taken good care of. I also have a female bunny Luna, who was neutered by the same vet last month and recovered really well. Luna and Neville never got the chance to properly meet as I was waiting for both to be desexed so there would be no babies and less fights. I rescued Luna as a lone bunny at 3 months, she is now 7 months and seems happy on her own, she is always binkying and flopping. Just wondering if it essential for me to get another bun, I really don’t think I can handle getting another as Neville was too special to me. Should I rescue another bunny for Luna to bond with, or will she be happy enough on her own?

Thanks

I'm really sorry you've lost Neville :( I do think ultimately rabbits are happier in pairs, but there is no need to rush. Take time for you all to grieve then in time you could contact rescues for an already neutered male to bond with Luna? In the meantime single rabbits can be happy with human attention if she enjoys this and activities like treat toys, forage games etc. I actually have a single rabbit atm as the bond didn't work out between her and my older pair, we are not rushing into adopting a fourth rabbit just yet so keep her occupied downstairs living with us.

So sorry for your loss :cry: you will know when it's right to find a partner for Luna, there's no rush. Just take your time

So sorry to hear that you have lost Nevile, and I agree don't rush into anything. Luna sounds as though she is happy enough, you will know if/when the time is right.

I'm really sorry you lost Neville. :cry: I think it'd be wonderful if you could get Luna a friend at some point, but I agree that there's no rush right now.

Back