• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toy suggestions for Dennis

So if I'm reading correctly, you have an elderly bun in his own room, and a baby on the way? Bun lives on hay and does well on this but you're worried about dust levels?
I'd say unless the baby is going to share the room, and Dennis is so active he stirs the dust up all the time, it really won't be a problem unless the baby happens to have a hay allergy.
I buy dust extracted hay made by NagBag, because I struggle terribly with hay even outdoors, but this is pretty tolerable, barely triggers even a tight chest unless I've been really shaking it up indoors. There are other makes of dustextracted. You could maybe use that for the bed, and fed his nice hay in a more controlled way to minimise dust?
The other alternative would be to use something like hemp bedding. Or - though this might not be suitable - I use straw pellets as a base floor. They need to be dampened to make them swell, but once in position as a good thick layer they compress and dry out quite quickly, and make a lovely dense flooring - with giants I want to ensure a soft floor to protect their hocks, but it gives a great grip and might even be easier to move around on than a hay bed. It's also incredibly easy to tidy up, once compacted it literally just needs a light sweep with a flat edge to gather any food, hay or poo. Being pure straw it is edible, but also not very appealing, so would be safe for a chewer.

As for toys, I have 2 great cubes from The Range that my guys absolutely love - just wire mesh cubes, but I stuff them with different forage mixs and they love chucking them around. There's some photos in my recent photo thread. Using bigger/longer forages takes more work, smaller particles fall through very quickly, ideally get a good balance between the two. Great with things like dried plantain, oat hay, shorter hays and readigrass.

It sounds like you're maybe going to keep the hay on the floor, but just in case you decide not to, would hemp mats like this work? https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hay_and_bedding/hemp_bedding_small_pets/182988 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kerbl-Hemp-Rodent-Mat-100/dp/B00DDC6HPY/ I've had them for Sophie and Casper and they're soft and the bunnies have a good grip on them (I use them to make slippery places less slippery). They're only about 0.5 cm thick, so you could layer some, maybe, to make it nicer for Dennis to lie on for his arthritis. The downside is that if he pees on it you can't clean it, so you'd have to throw it out, and if he digs in it it won't last long. Sophie and Casper can tear one to pieces in a few days.

For toys that are safe to eat... Sophie and Casper have ones similar to these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naturals-Animal-Activity-Banana-Stuffer/dp/B004FGD4AS/ You can remove the "leaves" on top and put treats in them and then the bunnies have fun throwing them around to get the treats out, or chewing their way to them.
These: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Pet-Jumbo-Grass-House/dp/B003TL9W7E/ are good as well, because you can stuff them with hay and treats and they can have fun getting it out. Only thing to look out for is if Dennis' head isn't the right size to get stuck in the hole. I can't find the brand I usually have, though, and I don't know if other brands maybe use wire to keep the ball in shape instead of something natural, so maybe you'll need to read some reviews. They're just nests for hamsters, and there are a lot of versions for sale.
This is a fun, edible house: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kerbl-Grass-House-Extra-Large/dp/B003YBZITU/ Sophie and Casper love them. It's made of grass woven around some wooden twig thingies, and held together with some natural string. If he'd eat the string, too, that wouldn't be a good idea, though, maybe, though I assume it would just digest.
Willow bridges (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-62154-Natural-Living-Willow/dp/B000WFCFG0/) can be fun, too? They're held together with metal wire, but I don't think Dennis would be able to eat so much of the willow branches that he'd be able to get to the wire, and even if he did, the wire isn't sharp or anything, so couldn't do any harm, really. He can have fun stripping the bark off them like he does with his sticks.
Maybe a food tree? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trixie-N...-25x36cm-Wood-Rabbit-Guinea-Pig-/163991858187 or a double one for more fun: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/27037100146?iid=164096780093 They're wooden, but I don't see any harm in him eating the wood.
These are completely edible as well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naturals-Animal-Activity-Rosewood-Products/dp/B002HEG4ES/ and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Boredom-Breaker-Animal-Activity/dp/B009EQ7UFE/

Thank you, those toys are potentially perfect for Dennis. I especially like the food tree, maple would be really good at that. That hemp mat is a cool idea and I didn’t know they existed so thank you. Do you remember if it felt soft or scratchy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if I'm reading correctly, you have an elderly bun in his own room, and a baby on the way? Bun lives on hay and does well on this but you're worried about dust levels?
I'd say unless the baby is going to share the room, and Dennis is so active he stirs the dust up all the time, it really won't be a problem unless the baby happens to have a hay allergy.
I buy dust extracted hay made by NagBag, because I struggle terribly with hay even outdoors, but this is pretty tolerable, barely triggers even a tight chest unless I've been really shaking it up indoors. There are other makes of dustextracted. You could maybe use that for the bed, and fed his nice hay in a more controlled way to minimise dust?
The other alternative would be to use something like hemp bedding. Or - though this might not be suitable - I use straw pellets as a base floor. They need to be dampened to make them swell, but once in position as a good thick layer they compress and dry out quite quickly, and make a lovely dense flooring - with giants I want to ensure a soft floor to protect their hocks, but it gives a great grip and might even be easier to move around on than a hay bed. It's also incredibly easy to tidy up, once compacted it literally just needs a light sweep with a flat edge to gather any food, hay or poo. Being pure straw it is edible, but also not very appealing, so would be safe for a chewer.

As for toys, I have 2 great cubes from The Range that my guys absolutely love - just wire mesh cubes, but I stuff them with different forage mixs and they love chucking them around. There's some photos in my recent photo thread. Using bigger/longer forages takes more work, smaller particles fall through very quickly, ideally get a good balance between the two. Great with things like dried plantain, oat hay, shorter hays and readigrass.

Yeah that’s right so I have Dennis nearly 11 and Maple around 7/8 in my front bedroom, then a nursery and us mummy and daddy hoomans are in the smallest room :lol:

Was just generally worried about the dust etc especially on cleaning out. I don’t plan to take baby in there though was just having a worry. Thank you, I will have a looky into those things. Ideally would like to keep the hay carpet but I think it’s sensible to have a back up the case of allergies etc

https://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/

Yea I've bought from them before, we get straw from them.

Hah! You seriously don't even need a nursery, so I wouldn't worry at all about room size [emoji38] we now have a room for Evelyn for a nursery, but she's in with us still. Sounds like you're coming up against what I did with family, because the buns were always my absolute number one priority all the time before having a baby and they all knew that, they used to try and point stuff out about how it'd have to change when the baby arrived, Idk why really.. Kinda cruel tbh.. I think my family think my attachment to my animals and the care they receive (oh and money, they don't agree with how much we spend on the buns, my mum called me some names I can't even post here for getting Penelopes leg operation done a few months ago..[emoji849]) basically it was finally a chance for them to be like "things will have to change!" and they liked pointing that out.

Thing is, things changed, but they also didn't [emoji38] and I didn't need all of that rubbish from my family [emoji38] my buns are still as important as they ever were. No one likes to hear that though [emoji38]

Ignore all the rubbish, I'm sure your nursery is/will be lovely! :) and you don't know what will happen in the future, you may even move etc. The baby won't care the bunnies have a little extra space in their room, he'll be too busy taking over the rest of your house trust me (you should see my living room, or maybe it's Evelyn's living room[emoji38]) btw I love the barn door idea, we were going to do that at our house! :D

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Your posts always make me feel a little bit more normal. My mum said I hope you are not having any more rabbits after these two. I answered no more bunnies but that was a lie. That would mean Maple being on her own, not being happy, potentially going into stasis and so forth and I just can’t let that happen. She’s a really sensitive bun so I know we are going to have big time trouble with that. Plus as stressful as it is I just can’t see my life without bunnies in it. And I am definitely too selfish and not brave enough to rehome Maple if she’s struggling on her own. I used to get comments from OHs side of the family about it being cruel to keep bunnies inside :lol: I can’t even be bothered to talk about that. I think it’s healthy to have our own hobbies and interests and rabbiting is ours so people need to keep their beaks out.

Remember you are not obliged to have a health visitor either ;) it is a service you are offered but you do not have to take it up. So if you get an unsupportive HV then you can just stop having them - you can have the baby weighed at the GP if you want to, practice nurses are usually happy to do this.
They can be very useful, they are supposed to be, but sometimes they can cause more stress than they help.

I honestly wouldn't worry, just do what you are doing, shut the door when you clean out to minimise dust coming out if you want to, but the only time it is going to be an issue is if your baby is allergic.

If you want to refit a door on the bunny room, you could fit a glazed or part glazed door so it is easy to keep an eye on their antics. Our buns are downstairs and we have a glazed door, which is usually open

Remember you are not obliged to have a health visitor either ;) it is a service you are offered but you do not have to take it up. So if you get an unsupportive HV then you can just stop having them - you can have the baby weighed at the GP if you want to, practice nurses are usually happy to do this.
They can be very useful, they are supposed to be, but sometimes they can cause more stress than they help.

I honestly wouldn't worry, just do what you are doing, shut the door when you clean out to minimise dust coming out if you want to, but the only time it is going to be an issue is if your baby is allergic.
It's not really presented like that :( and my gp forced me to get hv monitoring again because they don't offer the same services (hv aren't weighing either tho rn [emoji849])

You are right tho, just once you're on the NHS conveyor belt is hard to get off I find. Or if you need help you have to follow their pathway /way of doing things

We have a 2 year old - much older than a newborn obv - but one not used to animals. Susan and Rups live in the lounge and have hay everywhere. I get Timothy Hay for the buns and keep it in the leanto with coats and wellies etc, Thomas enters and leaves the house this way and I often sit him on the hay bags to put his outdoor shoes on.
I did worry about him and the bunnies at first (he came to live here in August with his dad) but doesnt seem bothered by the hay dust and yes I find Timothy hay.co.uk just a little dusty. Thomas has picked up and check the quality of bum nuggets, tasted and spat out a science select nugget and shared an apple! I dread to think what a health visitor would say but to see him and Susan sat watching tv together is lovely.
Good luck in whatever you decide but you know what is best for Ted and for Dennis.

It's not really presented like that :( and my gp forced me to get hv monitoring again because they don't offer the same services (hv aren't weighing either tho rn [emoji849])

You are right tho, just once you're on the NHS conveyor belt is hard to get off I find. Or if you need help you have to follow their pathway /way of doing things

No, it isn't presented like that, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still your choice and you can just say "thank you very much, I don't feel I need your services". I don't even think a GP can force you, though they can be very good at making it feel that way.
As a general rule they offer more help than hindrance, but it is worth bearing in mind if they are in your house and criticising animals etc - they are there at your "request" and you can ask them to leave at any time, and tell them not to return. Usually just knowing that helps.

I'm not sure if you couldn't just say you don't want/need house visits, but would like a telephone check in instead - or to just be on their list so you can contact if you felt the need.

Not sure I'm "allowed" to throw my 2p in as I don't have any kids and have almost no idea about flooring/toy ideas [emoji15]
But! Wanted to jump in and say if anyone is being stressful or overly opinionated about what you should do then send them my way [emoji48]
Absolutely no one can tell you how or what to do!
The fact you've even thought of this already makes you a way beter human than a lot of others that really shouldn't be procreating.

In dem good ol days, babies used to get exposed to way worse than a slightly smaller room than a bunny or 2 specs of hay dust. I'm pretty sure when I was a young one I ate cow and goat poop(on my grandads farm) and played in pig mud and I seem to have turned out relatively OK [emoji39][emoji1787]

Not saying don't care(because you obviously do) just people that are mean or bullyish need to fudge right off. Exposure to various things at a young age is better and helps us get all strong and smart [emoji16] just do what makes you happy and comfortable [emoji847]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

No, it isn't presented like that, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still your choice and you can just say "thank you very much, I don't feel I need your services". I don't even think a GP can force you, though they can be very good at making it feel that way.
As a general rule they offer more help than hindrance, but it is worth bearing in mind if they are in your house and criticising animals etc - they are there at your "request" and you can ask them to leave at any time, and tell them not to return. Usually just knowing that helps.

I'm not sure if you couldn't just say you don't want/need house visits, but would like a telephone check in instead - or to just be on their list so you can contact if you felt the need.
It's annoying though, I couldn't get any medical treatment for my baby without including a hv recently.. The hv was nice, didn't actually do anything though (I was thankful it wasn't the one I had right after the birth she was so horrible and judgey about everything!) but yea both A&E and my gp insisted a hv be involved [emoji21]

Your posts always make me feel a little bit more normal. My mum said I hope you are not having any more rabbits after these two. I answered no more bunnies but that was a lie. That would mean Maple being on her own, not being happy, potentially going into stasis and so forth and I just can’t let that happen. She’s a really sensitive bun so I know we are going to have big time trouble with that. Plus as stressful as it is I just can’t see my life without bunnies in it. And I am definitely too selfish and not brave enough to rehome Maple if she’s struggling on her own. I used to get comments from OHs side of the family about it being cruel to keep bunnies inside [emoji38] I can’t even be bothered to talk about that. I think it’s healthy to have our own hobbies and interests and rabbiting is ours so people need to keep their beaks out.

Well I'm glad it's not the opposite [emoji38]

Why does she hope you won't have anymore rabbits..? That's so odd, people have kids and pets.. It's not an unusual situation [emoji38]

Yea exactly, I'm not too sure what it is about rabbits that causes the issue, no one cared when I had a dog... [emoji38] Is your mum saying the same about your dog now? It really confuses me, but I totally get it, faced the same thing. My nan said that we can't have rodents living in the house when I said we were going to give the master bedroom to the buns to live in, said we'd end up with rats in there.. [emoji38] I did tell her rabbits aren't rodents.. But she was convinced we'd get rats and they'd eat the house... [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] I did point out they already lived in the house and we didn't have rats, but no, we were definitely going to get rats!

Idk why everyone loses their **** when someone else is growing a human.. Its mad! Reasonable people or tolerable people turn into crazy, controlling people overnight [emoji38][emoji38]

Loobers, sounds like your mum wants you all to herself, no hobbies to distract you :roll: Hay dust IME is quite heavy so tends to stay down rather than in the air once the air is calm.

Thank you, those toys are potentially perfect for Dennis. I especially like the food tree, maple would be really good at that. That hemp mat is a cool idea and I didn’t know they existed so thank you. Do you remember if it felt soft or scratchy?

I just double-checked for you, and it's not scratchy. It's not soft in the way fleece is, but it doesn't give friction the way carpet does, either. It's soft-ish, I'd say.

Back