• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies not eating their greens?

Willow218

New Kit
My girl/boy Netherland dwarfs are so fussy with their green veg.

I've had to separate them for now as it turns out they weren't two girls and they can't be neutered for another month as they are only 20 weeks.

I've tried them with spinach, gem lettuce, sprouts, parsley basil, kale and carrot for a limited treat

The boy will eat a bit but the girl won't touch anything apart from kale and carrot. I'm under the impression they can't have kale everyday, is this true.

They love their Haybox timothy hay and Burgess pellets (20g) a day each.

So is this normal and is there a go to veg that they will eat and is safe for everyday that bunnies love!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

All my Rabbits love Spring Greens, maybe try this, otherwise I don't know why they should be so fussy. It is good they love their hay and pellets. We recommend about a tbsp of pellets per bunny per day. Yes Kale is high in Calcium so better go easy with it. Sorry you have had to separate your two for now.

It took Freja several weeks of offering various things before she ate the variety she does now - and even now it usually takes 2-3 offerings before she will try it. Odin will eat anything! Just offer them a little bit every couple of days, and try leaving it there for a couple of days too so it isn't too novel, sometimes Freja eats things 2 days old that she didn't touch fresh, until she gets used to it.
Also have a look for wild things if they are fully vaccinated - there's not a lot at this timeof year but bramble leaves are a good start, maybe plantain, herb robert (which is quite easy to recognise once you know what it is!), young cow parsley (though not if you aren't confident identifying it or have hemlock in your area).
I'd also play with different herbs - mint is usually popular and good for tummies, mine love coriander and oregano/marjoram, and thyme.

Mine aren't massive fans of spring greens but love things like cucumber, tomato, coriander, basil, parsley, spinach, and loads more! Sometimes you have to find what they like and then balance that with hoe good it is for them and how much calcium it has to make sure they don't get too much.

Mine get fussy at times but generally they'd eat kale, spring greens and brussel sprouts.

I have noticed though they only eat Tescos Finest string beans and don't like organic kale or spring greens [emoji1787]

They won't touch any type of berries no matter what I do with it. Athie loves mint but Zeus hates it. Zeus loves Basil but Athie will eat it only if there's no other option.

They seemed keen on savoy cabbage for 4days then didn't want to touch it. [emoji1787]

Generally I tend to give a mix of veg for breakfast and dinner and usually what the 1 doesn't eat the other one will and vice versa. Also they like leaving bits but by breakfast/dinner times their bowls are empty. Except for rocket and watercress, they go on a hunger strike if that's in their bowl and they won't even eat the other veg that's in there [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Mine get fussy at times but generally they'd eat kale, spring greens and brussel sprouts.

I have noticed though they only eat Tescos Finest string beans and don't like organic kale or spring greens [emoji1787]

They won't touch any type of berries no matter what I do with it. Athie loves mint but Zeus hates it. Zeus loves Basil but Athie will eat it only if there's no other option.

They seemed keen on savoy cabbage for 4days then didn't want to touch it. [emoji1787]

Generally I tend to give a mix of veg for breakfast and dinner and usually what the 1 doesn't eat the other one will and vice versa. Also they like leaving bits but by breakfast/dinner times their bowls are empty. Except for rocket and watercress, they go on a hunger strike if that's in their bowl and they won't even eat the other veg that's in there [emoji1787]

Update to yesterday... today they've both decided they don't want the breakfast of spring greens and brussel sprouts [emoji2356] they've maybe eaten a piece each since this morning. So tonight going to try them on herb overload and some spinach [emoji16]

Back