• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely baby rabbits

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
Sorry if this seems a bit of rant, but it makes me so so sad. I think I need to walk away from the giant groups I'm in, I am so sick of people complaining about their baby rabbits - latest is only 11 weeks old! - tearing wallpaper and chewing skirting board and nipping and generally, you know, being a baby rabbit that is kept alone and indoors. Yet when you suggest some fresh chews for them, and some company, you get told they have loads of toys, they get lots of attention, they have lots of food.
Why do people get rabbits if they just want a stuffed toy? I thought the dog world was bad enough but jeez, the giant rabbits are worse. I think I'm in the minority having a pair. Almost all the ones who post are single house rabbits, most seem to be kept in almost sterile conditions or dog crates "cos it's just overnight" - or they show them stealing and eating things like haribo which triggers a succession of posts about what everyone's rabbits have stolen and eaten, as if it is something to be proud of.
My guys are just amazing creatures, it feels such a privilege when they choose to come and talk to us, to let us into their world, to ask us for cuddles or fuss, and even better when they are up for doing a spot of training. If they get grumpy with me then I know it's my fault, and it's up to me to work out why. On the rare occasion they chew something I don't want them to it just means I need to find some more fresh wood.
Why can't people cherish animals for who they are, instead of making them our toys all the time?
I am so glad to have found this forum, because so far all I have seen is happy rabbits, with all their needs met whether they are inside or out, and are being loved for their characters regardless. And lovely owners who worry like I do at the slightest thing, simply because we just want the very best for them.
Off out to feed my happy bunnies, and see if they fancy a chat tonight or whether I will just be lucky enough to watch them munching for a while :love:

Those groups sound like such sad places to be, having to read about all those poor bunnies. If you decide you need to walk away from them, that'd be completely understandable. A lot of people do treat rabbits more like toys than actual living rabbits, yeah, like animals to get out for when the people want to be entertained and to put away when they're inconvenient, without thinking of the needs of the rabbit. I think that's especially true with giants, yes, who people often seem to see like mini dogs, maybe because their size makes them look so different from what people normally think of as rabbits. You seem to really understand rabbits, and value them for the wonderful creatures they are, and the people in those groups sound like they... do not, and I'd definitely understand if you no longer want to surround yourself with that.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean. And it doesn’t help that the Group’s admin support all the rubbish that goes on. Anyone trying to offer welfare advice gets muted or banned :roll:

Sorry if this seems a bit of rant, but it makes me so so sad. I think I need to walk away from the giant groups I'm in, I am so sick of people complaining about their baby rabbits - latest is only 11 weeks old! - tearing wallpaper and chewing skirting board and nipping and generally, you know, being a baby rabbit that is kept alone and indoors. Yet when you suggest some fresh chews for them, and some company, you get told they have loads of toys, they get lots of attention, they have lots of food.
Why do people get rabbits if they just want a stuffed toy? I thought the dog world was bad enough but jeez, the giant rabbits are worse. I think I'm in the minority having a pair. Almost all the ones who post are single house rabbits, most seem to be kept in almost sterile conditions or dog crates "cos it's just overnight" - or they show them stealing and eating things like haribo which triggers a succession of posts about what everyone's rabbits have stolen and eaten, as if it is something to be proud of.
My guys are just amazing creatures, it feels such a privilege when they choose to come and talk to us, to let us into their world, to ask us for cuddles or fuss, and even better when they are up for doing a spot of training. If they get grumpy with me then I know it's my fault, and it's up to me to work out why. On the rare occasion they chew something I don't want them to it just means I need to find some more fresh wood.
Why can't people cherish animals for who they are, instead of making them our toys all the time?
I am so glad to have found this forum, because so far all I have seen is happy rabbits, with all their needs met whether they are inside or out, and are being loved for their characters regardless. And lovely owners who worry like I do at the slightest thing, simply because we just want the very best for them.
Off out to feed my happy bunnies, and see if they fancy a chat tonight or whether I will just be lucky enough to watch them munching for a while :love:

I totally agree with all your views.
the environment that a lot of bunnies live in is so sad, due in my opinion mainly to a lack of knowledge but still very sad. bunnies should be allowed to live as bunnies and although sometimes circumstances sometimes occur where they are single buns, company is one of the main things.
you have made me think about this forum a bit and yes, I believe everyone here truly understands rabbits as much as it is possible to & always put the welfare of the bunnies first - in health, in environment & in a psychological sense. it really shows in the discussions, the stories, the pics and the vids posted.

Last edited:
We are a good Forum but if you need to read about other Bunnies as well, I would recommend UK Rabbits, it's part of Facebook, and you will find some amazing bunny folk with lots of knowledge etc. It was started by a Vet Nurse who has a special interest in Rabbits.

I agree with eveything you have said Dollyanna however my Rups is eating his way through my house! He has toys, access to Susan bunny, humans and space but he is only young and I have to accept that he will peel wallpaper, climb the xmas tree, move the washing from in front of the washer, chase me round the garden and run off with my shopping - all things that make me laugh at him. Susan does non of these things its just who Rups is.
It makes me sad that people want rabbits to be like toys, only interactive when the human decides. Rabbits are wonderful, intelligent and busy animals with so much more to give.

I agree with eveything you have said Dollyanna however my Rups is eating his way through my house! He has toys, access to Susan bunny, humans and space but he is only young and I have to accept that he will peel wallpaper, climb the xmas tree, move the washing from in front of the washer, chase me round the garden and run off with my shopping - all things that make me laugh at him. Susan does non of these things its just who Rups is.
It makes me sad that people want rabbits to be like toys, only interactive when the human decides. Rabbits are wonderful, intelligent and busy animals with so much more to give.

Ah yes, but sometimes we meet all their needs and still simply discover that animals have a wicked sense of humour anyway :lol:

it really sucks. I moderate (well, own) a discord server for exotics. its..insane, the amount of people who come through with single rabbits. we always attempt to explain how important it is, but usually there's some form of excuse/issue. the reasoning of "my rabbit is aggressive" happens far more than is actually applicable, its just that rabbit bond didn't work out, or people think chucking two rabbits together & calling it a day works for a bond.

its sad. its really opened my eyes moderating the server on how poor knowledge is of rabbits, & poor practices involved. lack of companion, taking them on walks via a harness, taking them to places (esp in America, like for halloween photoshoots at pet stores, or pumpkin patches), no vaccinating, no fixing. its insane the people that come through that really have zero idea what to do, and telling them all of this just sends them into a state of shock because the rabbit life they thought they were getting into wasn't the case at all. it sucks.

its super bad in America because they do have RHD2 but no available vaccine. why you'd continue to cart your rabbit around to public spaces is beyond me. the answer often is "there's no cases in my state". none reported, that is. you'll have no idea about any wild rabbits, or any pet rabbits died. many do not opt for a post mortem or to report a possible case of it. most aren't even aware in America - actually, most aren't aware as a whole for vaccines....... even in Europe.

giants are especially bad. they're treated more like dogs than rabbits - its upsetting. everything for rabbits still applies for giants. they're not suddenly excluded or different.

I really don't think social media helps either. rabbits & social media really shows the incorrect side of rabbit husbandry and care. small cages, no companion. its made out to be something it is not. & with people turning to content like Lennon The Bunny for advice and copying her (I could write an essay rant on how much I despise her honestly), it really doesn't help. I can not tell you the amount of people who copy her practices / use her for info when she's really bottom barrel in terms of..her actual care. carting her poor rabbit everywhere, no companion. supposedly she isn't allowed another at her condo. my answer is if you can't get two, don't get a rabbit at all, as harsh as that is :s

I totally agree with all your views.
the environment that a lot of bunnies live in is so sad, due in my opinion mainly to a lack of knowledge but still very sad. bunnies should be allowed to live as bunnies and although sometimes circumstances sometimes occur where they are single buns, company is one of the main things.
you have made me think about this forum a bit and yes, I believe everyone here truly understands rabbits as much as it is possible to & always put the welfare of the bunnies first - in health, in environment & in a psychological sense. it really shows in the discussions, the stories, the pics and the vids posted.

I agree that it is mostly lack of knowledge - but 5-6 months ago I knew nothing either. In the 2 days between meeting Odin and bringing him home I read everything I could, to be sure I could meet his immediate needs and his longterm needs. In the weeks after his arrival I read everything else to find out how to bond, who to bond him with, what to expect. Normally I would have done this research long before meeting the animal, but rescue isn't always that considerate! It isn't hard to read the basics. So why do so many people get an animal without apparently having any clue at all what to actually do with them?
The information is easily available, I don't mind people not knowing and asking questions, I do the same (and you all probably thought I was very novice when I first joined, which I was!), it's those who don't want to hear because it's not what THEY want for themselves I get angry with.
Anyway, I am loving this forum more and more, so I think I'll just stick to you lovely people and protect myself. It's nice to see other giants, but the negatives are far outweighing any positive now.
Thank you for letting me let off steam, it is so reassuring to know that the whole world isn't like that!

We are a good Forum but if you need to read about other Bunnies as well, I would recommend UK Rabbits, it's part of Facebook, and you will find some amazing bunny folk with lots of knowledge etc. It was started by a Vet Nurse who has a special interest in Rabbits.

Thanks, I joined the UK rabbit group an the advice of a friend at the start but kept having a run-in with one particular admin who has some very peculiar ideas about enrichment and foods - even going against the RWAF guidelines that they support - so I unfollowed the group. I like that they support RWAF guidelines, but they weren't able to give me the detailed info I was looking for at the start and I just got too annoyed with that one admin. But tbh I don't really need to read about other rabbits, other than learning more about behaviour, diet, housing in greater detail, and it doesn't really do more than brush the surface.

it really sucks. I moderate (well, own) a discord server for exotics. its..insane, the amount of people who come through with single rabbits. we always attempt to explain how important it is, but usually there's some form of excuse/issue. the reasoning of "my rabbit is aggressive" happens far more than is actually applicable, its just that rabbit bond didn't work out, or people think chucking two rabbits together & calling it a day works for a bond.

its sad. its really opened my eyes moderating the server on how poor knowledge is of rabbits, & poor practices involved. lack of companion, taking them on walks via a harness, taking them to places (esp in America, like for halloween photoshoots at pet stores, or pumpkin patches), no vaccinating, no fixing. its insane the people that come through that really have zero idea what to do, and telling them all of this just sends them into a state of shock because the rabbit life they thought they were getting into wasn't the case at all. it sucks.

its super bad in America because they do have RHD2 but no available vaccine. why you'd continue to cart your rabbit around to public spaces is beyond me. the answer often is "there's no cases in my state". none reported, that is. you'll have no idea about any wild rabbits, or any pet rabbits died. many do not opt for a post mortem or to report a possible case of it. most aren't even aware in America - actually, most aren't aware as a whole for vaccines....... even in Europe.

giants are especially bad. they're treated more like dogs than rabbits - its upsetting. everything for rabbits still applies for giants. they're not suddenly excluded or different.

I really don't think social media helps either. rabbits & social media really shows the incorrect side of rabbit husbandry and care. small cages, no companion. its made out to be something it is not. & with people turning to content like Lennon The Bunny for advice and copying her (I could write an essay rant on how much I despise her honestly), it really doesn't help. I can not tell you the amount of people who copy her practices / use her for info when she's really bottom barrel in terms of..her actual care. carting her poor rabbit everywhere, no companion. supposedly she isn't allowed another at her condo. my answer is if you can't get two, don't get a rabbit at all, as harsh as that is :s
I have a giant french lop Mischief. I admit he is a sole bunny however he lives with us in our home. We are seriously considering a partner for him but when we first got him we researched getting 2 online and realised it would not be that easy.

We decided to get one and then introduce the other bunny a bit later on. However circumstances changed and my partner lost his job...we are currently struggling to survive and meet Mischief's needs right now. Another bunny would have been a disaster.

Don't get me wrong...bonded pairs are best. But we give him so much attention and love. I realise it is not the same as a wifey and it worries me every day that he could be lonely but we have no choice right now. He is also sick at the moment so would not let another bunny near him. I pray he pulls through and eventually can be bonded to another bunny but time will tell.

I recently joined this community. It is absolutely amazing!! I searched high and low and this is the only site that I felt had enough experience and genuine interest in bunnies. However other sites did help a little.

I felt I knew a fair bit about bunnies. But after joining this forum I realise I know only the basics really. A lot of mistakes are genuine people who do not know enough about rabbits. They are very complicated animals to understand and care for properly.

It is through education and forums like these that bunnies will be understood more and their needs met. Some people try their best and do all they can and by teaching them they will then give their bunnies a happier, healthier life.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I have a giant french lop Mischief. I admit he is a sole bunny however he lives with us in our home. We are seriously considering a partner for him but when we first got him we researched getting 2 online and realised it would not be that easy.

We decided to get one and then introduce the other bunny a bit later on. However circumstances changed and my partner lost his job...we are currently struggling to survive and meet Mischief's needs right now. Another bunny would have been a disaster.

Don't get me wrong...bonded pairs are best. But we give him so much attention and love. I realise it is not the same as a wifey and it worries me every day that he could be lonely but we have no choice right now. He is also sick at the moment so would not let another bunny near him. I pray he pulls through and eventually can be bonded to another bunny but time will tell.

I recently joined this community. It is absolutely amazing!! I searched high and low and this is the only site that I felt had enough experience and genuine interest in bunnies. However other sites did help a little.

I felt I knew a fair bit about bunnies. But after joining this forum I realise I know only the basics really. A lot of mistakes are genuine people who do not know enough about rabbits. They are very complicated animals to understand and care for properly.

It is through education and forums like these that bunnies will be understood more and their needs met. Some people try their best and do all they can and by teaching them they will then give their bunnies a happier, healthier life.

I think there is a huge difference though between people who have lone bunnies with the awareness that two would probably be better, who do everything they can to work towards that, but sometimes life happens, and those who only ever have the intention of getting one, who don't want to get two BECAUSE it might reduce the "affection" towards the humans, or they can't be bothered, or they "don't have space".
I even saw one recently who had rescued 2 giants, young siblings, male and female, but wanted to rehome one of them because it was too much bother to keep them seperate for the few weeks until the male could be neutered, but wanted help to decide which one to keep "because they are both so cute". Several of us pointed out that they'd be far better off kept together, but no, nt a chance, it was just too much effort to be bothered with. That's what makes me angry - not people like you who strive for the best but for various reasons currently have to compromise.

Oh dear, I hope Mischief gets better soon xxxx

I feel the same and it is frustrating but at the same time...ive made some big bunny owning mistakes in my time. I have learnt so much being apart of RU like foraging and growing for my bunnies, its made me a more educated bunny owner for sure. I dont think it helps places like pets at home that sell all the **** treats and churn out rabbits to people without the proper care advice

I think there is a huge difference though between people who have lone bunnies with the awareness that two would probably be better, who do everything they can to work towards that, but sometimes life happens, and those who only ever have the intention of getting one, who don't want to get two BECAUSE it might reduce the "affection" towards the humans, or they can't be bothered, or they "don't have space".
I even saw one recently who had rescued 2 giants, young siblings, male and female, but wanted to rehome one of them because it was too much bother to keep them seperate for the few weeks until the male could be neutered, but wanted help to decide which one to keep "because they are both so cute". Several of us pointed out that they'd be far better off kept together, but no, nt a chance, it was just too much effort to be bothered with. That's what makes me angry - not people like you who strive for the best but for various reasons currently have to compromise.
Yes I totally agree. It says everywhere that bunnies should be in pairs. We intended to rescue Mischief an adult and get it spayed if necessary. We would have kept them apart until then. We still intend to but only when we have the finances to take care of them both properly and Mischief is fully recovered.

We originally wanted to get 2 sisters until found out when they get spayed that one could reject the other. I'm not sure how true this is but we will use this forum to check how to bond them properly.

We decided to get one female and then find her a husbun later. Vet checked Mischief over and thought he checked the sex. Later on Mischief grew testicles!! Lucky we only got one in the end as I would have been so devastated them having babies and then trying to find them homes. I would not have coped well giving them up! Perhaps fate intervened who knows.

I find it very sad that these people want to split up a bonded pair and put them through such trauma for selfish reasons. It doesn't take Einstein to realise how badly the bunnies could fare [emoji22]

We spend so much time with Mr Chief. I don't work and he has free run of the flat and jumps up on bed/sofas and flops down next to us. But it does take a lot of work. He needs extra attention to make up for being a sole bunny. Bonding pairs are probably easier in some ways.

I do think rabbits are misconstrued as fluffy cute things. Of course they are but the more time you spend with them the more you realise they all have such big personalities. Well I know frenchies do so I presume it's the same for others [emoji6]

All we can do is advise and educate and hopefully change the way rabbits are viewed gradually. And hope people make the right decisions for them. But I don't blame you for ranting when you are spending your time trying to explain and then they choose to ignore you. Ignorance is not an excuse these days with all the means to find out info xx

Last edited:
I feel the same and it is frustrating but at the same time...ive made some big bunny owning mistakes in my time. I have learnt so much being apart of RU like foraging and growing for my bunnies, its made me a more educated bunny owner for sure. I dont think it helps places like pets at home that sell all the **** treats and churn out rabbits to people without the proper care advice
Totally agree. And hate seeing all the animals stuck in those cages to be sold. Makes me so angry and upset [emoji34] I can't go in there anymore.

I have learnt so much just in my one week of being on RU and have so much more to learn. I felt I was doing pretty well catering for Mischief's needs until I came on here. Suddenly I find myself looking at his diet, accomodation, toys, a rabbit savvy vet...well everything really. And I am not a selfish owner. I love him more than anything and want to give him the best.

But there are cruel and selfish people out there. They are different from ignorant ones who can be taught about bunnies. Buns are so different from other pets so it is a slow process but places to go like RU can definitely help with that.

I often saw comments like this on the UK rabbit group, but I have to say that our local PAH (where Odin was handed in to rescue) are absolutely brilliant. I know from patients as well that they never sell any animals without being really thorough that you know what is needed, they really put us through the mill before we were allowed to take Odin, probably 3hrs or more in total of talking and questioning and photographic proof that we could offer him the space he needed. And then she took us on a tour of the shop to show us what foods etc he could have and more or less excluded their entire range of treats :lol: just said that all of these are really bad and they wouldn't advise feeding any of them!!
So whilst I'm not a fan of chain stores and can well believe that many of them are terrible, there are some gems where the staff really care - I am literally known by all of the staff now as Odin's mum and it is impossible to be in and out within half an hour as I have to give updates on him every time I go!

I do love foraging, Odin lived very well off my garden and the surrounding areas in his first few months with us - it's as if I have actually been growing my entire garden just to supply giant rabbits with herbs, flowers and forage - and I can't wait for spring to be able to feed them a wild diet again. I don't like feeding so much bought greens and things, it doesn't give them the variety I want, though they have plenty of dried forage to make up for it.

I don't think it really matters how long we have had rabbits, we all make mistakes, and we can all learn more - until we actually turn into rabbits ourselves there is always more to learn and understand!! I just strive to always be better and do better - when you know better, you do better, it's as simple as that.

I don't think it really matters how long we have had rabbits, we all make mistakes, and we can all learn more - until we actually turn into rabbits ourselves there is always more to learn and understand!! I just strive to always be better and do better - when you know better, you do better, it's as simple as that.
:love: Absolutely this :D

I so agree with your thoughts on social media. I watched some Lennon The Bunny videos in the past and it was horrible. It really bothers me how she's seen as an example of good rabbit care, how people look to her as an 'expert'. I've noticed before, too, how it seems like the most popular rabbits on social media are all single bunnies, and, yes, many are taken to places and go for 'walks'. It really gives people the wrong idea of what rabbits need, like you said.

Back