• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood Blister?

Dan3008

New Kit
Hi guys

New here, sorry that my first post is seeking help.

So, my bunny Snowflake seems to have developed what looks like a raised blood blister on his back as below, its slightly larger than a pound coin:

I'm sure it wasn't there a few days ago when I last gave him the once over. But really not sure how he could have done it :/ I'm going to try and get him booked in to see a vet ASAP, but my vets not open till Monday. Do you think this warrants an emergency vet call?

For context, Snowflake is 13 months old, we adopted him in October. He was neutered in November, and had his first set of vaccinations 2 weeks ago.

Thanks

Dan

Hello and welcome. I’m sorry snowflake has this blood blister but you are absolutely doing the right thing getting him booked in to see the vet just to get their opinion. I’m sure some of my ru colleagues will jump on with some more experienced views. So I’m just giving you my thoughts on it, linked to what you said in your post.
It is a possibility that it might be a reaction to the vaccines he had recently.
That’s just my view - I may be completely wrong. I know rabbits, mine included, can have these blisters as a reaction to antibiotics but not sure if it’s the same for the vaccines.
Key things to look for are “is snowflake eating and drinking ok and is he pooping and weeing ok?” Is his behaviour normal or has he changed?
Sending snowflake vibes and hope you can get to the vet next week.
Craig.

My bunny had a reaction to the 1st of his 2 vaccination injections a couple of months ago. It looked really nasty, cratered inwards and quite large like a big scab dark red. He was absolutely fine in himself and wasn't bothered by it. I spoke to my vet and sent them photos and they weren't concerned as he was eating, pooing and playing etc as normal. They had a look at it at the 2nd injection and were still happy with it. It took about 3 weeks for the scab to drop off and another week maybe before the skin/fur looked back to normal. Hopefully yours is also a reaction. You could always ring the emergency number and ask their advice? When I ever phone my emergency vet they will usually advise whether it needs an emergency visit or if you can wait for a normal appointment. I think I would definitley be phoning them if he isn't eating properly or seems to be not himself in any way. Keeping fingers crossed it is just a reaction and it heels up!

Thanks.

Yeh hes eating and drinking as normal (although hes only just started eating in front of us lol, hes a shy eater) and still doing 3000 poops a day.

The day after the vaccination, there were a few soft poops but nothing serious. Nothing compared to post neutering...

Just spoke to the out of hours vet who talked me through a few checks. Since hes not in pain, eating fine and hes not hot to the touch, they said wait till Monday, and talk to my normal vet. They think it's a reaction to the vaccination, and I just didn't see it the other day because it was still covered by fur lol

That's good news :) I didn't notice Shadows one until 1 or 2 days after, his fur is so thick and I didn't think I needed to check for anything at the injection site, especially as the vet warned me they can sometimes have a lump after and it's nothing to worry about. I was just keeping an eye on them for eating and pooing properly which they both were. Good luck on monday :)

Thanks all. My vets had phone consultation this morning. So I've rung them and emailed a photo. They still want to see Snowflake to be 100% safe. but are pretty sure its a vaccine reaction

Back