• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear wax, strange head twitch

He will probably need a much longer course of abx. Sometimes 4-6 weeks. Has he also been prescribed some Metacam to address the pain and inflammation ?

ETA - just seen the videos. Is he responsive when the twitching occurs ? They look exactly like the epileptiform twitches one of my Rabbits has. He has a neurological disorder.

It's Canaural eardrops, 1 drop in each ear twice a day for 7 days. No, he didn't get any other medication. There is plenty in the bottle though so I might just do a couple of extra days then see. I don't know how bad the infection is, the only thing I could see was the white wax in one ear and the other looked fine so I didn't know that ear even had any problem. The problem will be knowing if it has cleared up without taking him back to be checked again. The twitching episodes have only happened 3 times that we have witnessed so he might not do it again for me to know something is still wrong, or he might do it when I'm not watching. When it happens he looks kind of spaced out but I'm pretty sure he would respond if I disturbed him, I have tried to be quiet and just watch him. This last occasion he was sitting doing it after running around, then when I went near him to film better he sort of snapped out of it when I approached and followed me, doing a couple of twitches while he did. When I backed away he sat and then started it up again looking distracted/spaced out again. If it happens again I will experiment and see if he responds to me while it is happening. Sorry to hear one of yours has a neurological problem :-( I hope he is ok. The vet that is seeing Shadow is the one who diagnosed my Dads dog with vestibular disease, but she didn't think Shadow had anything like that when I mentioned it after showing her the video. So hopefully she is right! The first time Shadow did this I thought of my Dads dog because it looked similar with the eye twitching which is why I was concerned in the first place. I think if lockdown gets lifted in February I will maybe take Shadow back for a check up anyway to make sure the infection has gone (unless anything else happens before then or I don't think it has cleared up).

Update: I phoned the vets yesterday to say I thought the infection was still there and ask if I should continue with the antibiotics (I was instructed 7 days which was up yesterday) or bring him in for the vet to see him. The receptionist said to bring him in which was good, so I got an appointment this morning. The vet said the ear that wasn't so bad has cleared up now, the one that was worse still has a bit of an infection so I need to continue for another 7 days in that ear and then bring him back again. She asked if he had been doing any more twitching and I said I hadn't seen him do it again. She said the ears weren't inflamed which was good. So hopefully another week will clear up the other ear too. He seems perfectly happy (other than when we are trying to put the drops in!) and he is still eating and pooing etc normally so I am optimistic that he will get over this soon :)

Thanks for the good vibes everyone, Shadow had another appointment today and he is now in the clear, both ears have now cleared up :) Shadow is going to be so happy not to have any more ear drops, he hated us doing it. I am so happy, I had the biggest smile on my face (under my mask!) when the vet told me. Shadow says thanks everyone for the advice and good wishes :)

Back