• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay rack

Berni58

New Kit
I have tried just about every possible hay rack for my bunnies. They only seem to want to eat hay when it's in the litter tray beside them but I'm wasting so much of it as I'm aware that even if there is the slightest smell (soiling) off it they won't eat it. If I put it in a separate container they either ignore it or poo in it as as well. Any suggestions anyone?

Depends on the rabbit but I’ve used dishes with hay in at the end of an underbed storage box. Latest solution is a large basket drawer fastened vertically at the end of the litter tray. The key in my opinion is very large litter trays and of course hay that they love. Current favourite here is haybox Timothy hay.
Here is Fern on top of the hay rack
URPHUvL.jpg

Mine don't do hay racks. The only time they did was when Freja first came and she was in restricted space, I made a hay pillar from 3 pieces of C&C caging stood on end and she used that, but when they had more space and more options available neither bothered with it. I concluded that hay racks are just not natural and they prefer to forage through to pick the bit they want, so now they just have a small handful of fresh hay everyday in their litter trays, replaced as necessary. They have hay in their house box too, and hay outside in their cave, but all is on the ground. They don't toilet on the stuff in their houses.

Depends on the rabbit but I’ve used dishes with hay in at the end of an underbed storage box. Latest solution is a large basket drawer fastened vertically at the end of the litter tray. The key in my opinion is very large litter trays and of course hay that they love. Current favourite here is haybox Timothy hay.
Here is Fern on top of the hay rack
URPHUvL.jpg

Thank you

We use these hay racks (from Amazon a couple of years ago) as mentioned above the secret is finding a hay they like.
I would add, the best tasting hay always seems to be in the litter tray
7e86810c198a66f699b39bac87728792.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

We use these hay racks (from Amazon a couple of years ago) as mentioned above the secret is finding a hay they like.
I would add, the best tasting hay always seems to be in the litter tray
I suspect that's because it's easier to get to: since we loaded up the trays and a carrier with hay for winter snuggling, they've left the hayracks untouched except where there wasn't any litter tray hay :thumb:

Back