• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burrow boxes

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
We've got an old plastic storage box a bit like this https://www.homebase.co.uk/lifetime-outdoor-plastic-garden-storage-box-439-litres_p508838 that I want to make into a digging/burrow box for the giants. I can cut a hole in the side, but just wondering what people have done that is similar? Either scaled down for normal rabbits, or using something like this.

Thinking of duckboarding the bottom to keep them dry, have the hole off the ground so they jump through (maybe with a step to get up, or a tunnel up to it) to limit other critters, and then filling it with straw and hay. I am expecting some amount of toileting, that's fine, it'll just get emptied out every so often anyway and washed down. But anything else to think of?
Would it be better with compost or something in the bottom then straw/hay on the top so they can really dig? At some point we could put another entrance/exit on the end so they could travel through, would it be better with different height holes or just the same?

This is a plan to seek forgiveness cos I've just blocked off under the shed and they are NOT happy with me!! :lol::lol::roll:

Haha my 4 outdoor rabbits were not impressed with having under the shed blocked off either. Nor were they overjoyed to be retrieved from our neighbours garden and blocked from their beautifully dug hole under the fence. They are now fully meshed in their shed/aviary set up.

I would make 3 entrance/exit holes in the box. Sounds like a fun thing for them. Seems really expensive though. I used to have something similar for around 40.00. May have been a bit smaller but not much.

Haha my 4 outdoor rabbits were not impressed with having under the shed blocked off either. Nor were they overjoyed to be retrieved from our neighbours garden and blocked from their beautifully dug hole under the fence. They are now fully meshed in their shed/aviary set up.

I would make 3 entrance/exit holes in the box. Sounds like a fun thing for them. Seems really expensive though. I used to have something similar for around 40.00. May have been a bit smaller but not much.

Not really expensive at all, it isn't that box (think it was £40 new) and it's a damaged one that we no longer want/can use for what we got it for - that was just the first image I could find that was similar.

Thankfully unless they dig under the house, or the hotel next door, or the road, they aren't going to get very far digging under the shed (it's concrete anyway) it's just that we don't want holes they can nest up in when we need to get them in in a hurry. We try to give them as much freedom as possible so it is their choice to return home but inevitably there is going to be a time when we need to leave and they haven't gone home yet!

Why would you suggest 3 entrances?

Back