• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help: Bunny fast breathing

I've just been reading up on Surolan ear drops and seen that they are actually a steroid. The vet did say some buns have a reaction to it but didn't actually tell me what to watch out for. Tried to talk to her and they charge £30 just to ask about meds prescribed!

I was wondering if he was perhaps having a reaction to the steroids with his breathing? It actually gets worse when we do all the meds and I put it down to stress.

Does anyone have any experience using Surolan please?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Actually wondering...should I maybe make Surolan eye drop query as a new topic/thread so more people reply if they know of it?

I'm new on here so not sure if peeps will read all my thread as it's getting long lol x

Actually wondering...should I maybe make Surolan eye drop query as a new topic/thread so more people reply if they know of it?

I'm new on here so not sure if peeps will read all my thread as it's getting long lol x

Do you mean Surolan Ear drops ?

Yes, I have a Rabbit on them at the moment.The only time they are likely to cause problems is if used when the tympanic membrane has ruptured. Then the Rabbit may start to display symptoms of vestibular disturbance - head tilt, loss of balance, nystagmus.

Sorry ear drops!

He is showing no other real symptoms now except the fast breathing and slight eye discharge in one eye. But he has had eye issue for a long time months before noticed ear infection symptoms. He is not even shaking his head now except when first put drops in his ears. So it's not the ear drops causing this then....

Will see what vet says after examining him. Maybe they will notice something. Otherwise I am hoping for more antibiotics/painkiller to keep him stable through Xmas until cheque clears and I can take him for X-ray and other tests.

Trust me if I had anything to sell or way of raising money quicker I would. Xmas is going to be all about caring for Mr Chief [emoji7]

So to update you on vets today with Mischief...

His ears and nose look clear but he has slight runny eye. His heart and lungs sound fine and no noisy breathing. Tummy sounded good.

She tried to check his teeth and caught a glimpse of his tongue and it didn't look good. But he would not let her check his back teeth. He was very stressed out with breathing 200 per min apparently [emoji45]

So she given us more Loxicom. Doesn't feel Baytril would be worth carrying on and thinks it is a teeth issue but can't rule out chest issues etc without an X-ray.

So my Mum has kindly agreed to lend us cash for his X-ray and back teeth to be filed down (if needed) so I am now waiting for vet to ring me and hopefully book him in for next week! [emoji3]

Fingers crossed the X-ray confirms his teeth just need filing down and will also show that his head and chest are ok aswell. Just want him back to his usual trouble making self bless him!

Will keep you posted. Thank you all so much for your positive vibes and really helpful advice xx

Would your vet not admit for X-rays / teeth sooner? It's very stressful and exhausting for a rabbit to be breathing so fast, whatever is causing it. It also makes it harder for him to eat if he is putting so much energy into breathing. Does the pain relief give a noticeable effect? Loxicom can be given in quite high doses for short periods of time, under veterinary advice. Other pain relief is available, but may be contra-indicated with his breathing issues.

Would your vet not admit for X-rays / teeth sooner? It's very stressful and exhausting for a rabbit to be breathing so fast, whatever is causing it. It also makes it harder for him to eat if he is putting so much energy into breathing. Does the pain relief give a noticeable effect? Loxicom can be given in quite high doses for short periods of time, under veterinary advice. Other pain relief is available, but may be contra-indicated with his breathing issues.

This. I would also check with the vet if the loxicom dose he is on is sufficient, sometimes they do prescribe an increased dosage if pain is not controlled sufficiently. My vet also prescribes it twice daily to provide a more even pain relief coverage.

I'm happy to say he is booked in for 8.30am for a chest and head X-ray under anaesthetic and for a look at his teeth situation. And if his teeth are the issue I have paid for 30 minutes dental treatment aswell all upfront.

Have told them if they find anything else wrong from X-rays then to not do his teeth and to just bring him round from anaesthetic. We would then review situation and go from there.

We can also hopefully just about afford blood work and cultures to be done Jan 8th when get paid. We just can't afford them before then. Hopefully we won't need to do them as his dental work will make him better.

We are really nervous about him having an anaesthetic with his fast breathing. Really hope we are doing the right thing!

Meanwhile Mischief is looking better. He is eating well and running about and in to everything [emoji3]Breathing is still a bit fast though but better than it was last night. I think you are right that the dosage of Loxicom is not high enough as he perks up after he has it so perhaps the teeth pain is causing his breathing issues?

Very nervous about tomorrow. Another sleepless night ahead! Will update you after tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone for your kind words! Mischief said he is looking forward to getting to know you all better under hoppier circumstances [emoji195][emoji235] [emoji173]

Really pleased that your bunny is booked in for tomorrow, and hope everything goes well. It's always a worry when they have to have a procedure, but yes I'm sure you are doing the right thing for him. Good luck for Mischief tomorrow, keep yourself busy, and hopefully the time will go quicker while you are waiting xx

I would get his teeth done regardless of what Xrays reveal, assuming his teeth are in need of attention . If he has large spurs making his tongue and cheeks sore it won’t resolve without treatment and he won’t be able to eat. Best wishes for tomorrow.

I would get his teeth done regardless of what Xrays reveal, assuming his teeth are in need of attention . If he has large spurs making his tongue and cheeks sore it won’t resolve without treatment and he won’t be able to eat. Best wishes for tomorrow.
Yes I agree. I actually meant that I have told vets to do teeth if they needed doing but if it's not looking like his teeth are the issue and it's something else then to bring him round. If he is going to have an anaesthetic it makes sense to get teeth done at same time.

Vet today said she thought his tongue looked sore but he wouldn't let her check properly and she didn't want to stress him further. Hopefully it's just his teeth that need doing and he will be better soon [emoji6]

Ahh - you know what - people like you bring a warm smile to my face because people like you make a huge difference to rabbits and life and you restore my faith in humanity. From your first post you have made an incredible journey with Mischief and all of us here will appreciate the financial costs of what surgery and treatment can bring. If it helps bring a little perspective for you, my bunny Lillian has cost me over £2k this year alone with urinary issues, and around £4k last year when it all started. Insurance wouldn't cover it so I've made many many sacrifices in the last 2 years to put Lillians welfare before anything else.
You are doing a fantastic job not only in seeking out and taking on board the many helpful tips and guidance that the forum brings, but more importantly acting on them and seeking the enhanced medical intervention Mischief requires and it is an act of love and kindness that only true pet lovers know.
I can't praise you enough and will be keeping everything crossed for Mischief procedure. Jane is quite correct about possible spurs on the teeth and I hope everything goes well for Mischief. Sending him millions of vibes and huge hugs to you. You have amazing strength and Mischief is all the better for you being his guardian. xx

You have actually made me cry. My partner Phil is like 'Ah what a lovely message'.

It's all love that guides us with our bunnies and we do everything we can as they are our babies.

I'm so thankful to have joined your forum and had guidance from people like yourself. You have given us strength knowing we are doing all we possibly can to help Mischief. He really is our world.

Thank you so much. Really touched us with your kind words x

Lots of well wishes for Mischiefs appointment tomorrow. Hopefully its "just" his teeth & a dental gets him back on track. I do agree with Inspector Morse, I'd get his teeth sorted out regardless of other results.

Sending lots of vibes for Mischief tomorrow. It's really nerve wracking having to send them off for a procedure and waiting for news from the vet.

It's not uncommon for a bunny's mouth to feel a bit sore for a day or two after a dental so he might prefer to eat soft foods at first, eg you may need to soften his pellets to make them easier for him to manage.

Back