• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help: Bunny fast breathing

Spoiled is so right lol.

When funds allow I'm thinking if getting one of these. It's a nice compromise between normal water bottle and bowl.

https://www.manorpethousing.co.uk/water-bottle-holder-xl

Although I suspect hubby might get upset if its not used. The bunnies have been ordering lots online this month and that's before the vet fees [emoji25]

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Oooo! I like that! My OH loves Mischief as much as me so he won't have a problem with it. Won't know if he will use it so would have to see.

But yes will have to wait until we get paid again. I need to pay back family in next few months where borrowed loads for vet fees but we don't mind as he is better [emoji3]

I love that your bunnies have been ordering stuff on the internet themselves. They are exceptionally clever [emoji23]

Mischief is becoming a bit of a stress head and is growling at us aswell when we pick him up to put him on bed for his meds. Hopefully things will improve as we drop the meds down and he doesn't need so much hands on. He has been through a lot in the last month.

Although we have noticed him grinding his teeth today so we are worried he is not drinking due to pain still and then started wondering if his teeth are the problem again. Feels like we are going round in circles [emoji22]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They are exceptional at ordering online [emoji16] Primrose taught Rodney where i keep the credit card before she left us and he has taught Blossom!

Does Mischief respond to pet remedy for helping stress? Its awfully stinky to me but a couple of days on it seems to have helped things here.

Or camomile tea might help too and is usually cheapish at the supermarket.

I'm sorry he seems to be in pain again though. Could be that be his foot hasn't healed yet?

They are exceptional at ordering online [emoji16] Primrose taught Rodney where i keep the credit card before she left us and he has taught Blossom!

Does Mischief respond to pet remedy for helping stress? Its awfully stinky to me but a couple of days on it seems to have helped things here.

Or camomile tea might help too and is usually cheapish at the supermarket.

I'm sorry he seems to be in pain again though. Could be that be his foot hasn't healed yet?

I love that they know where your credit cards are!! [emoji23] (quickly hide all my bank cards from Mischief)...

I've not heard of pet remedy before. What is that?

Can you give our own camomile teabags to buns? I have some of them in cupboard. And peppermint tea [emoji6]

We didn't give him his pain killer last night as he was definitely acting in pain and not eating or pooping. We thought perhaps the Metacam was upsetting his tummy as he is not eating as much.

His tummy felt distended aswell but could hear a lot of bubbling going on so could have been gas. So we gave him infacol and syringe fed him some water. Later on I encouraged him for a run about.

We had to syringe feed him as he went a few hours without pooping and took ages to get him to eat something. Then he ate some cabbage and parsley. Finally he did a few poops so we knew he wasn't blocked and syringe fed him and gave him water.

He started eating again pretty quickly. Seems to be the same pattern. He wolfs down his syringe feed aswell which shows he is hungry. Wondering whether we should syringe feed him once every 12 or 24 hours just to top him up?

He seems really good tonight and unsure whether to give him Metacam. He doesn't seem to need it. He is eating well and running about being cheeky and playing.

So we have decided to drop one of the metacam doses altogether to see what happens. We thinking Metacam could be upsetting his gut. So we now giving it to him every 24 hours with his diuretic instead after a syringe feed in future and see what happens.

If we should do things differently please let me know. We are bumbling along here trying to work out what to do. If we could prevent him having these nights of not eating that would be amazing plus I am now in zombie mode as not hardly sleeping and falling asleep with a mug of tea in my hand!

If my words are a bit repetitive please forgive me as sleep deprived. Sorry not been on posting elsewhere but I am struggling to cope with my own household at moment. I don't know how Jane does it!! [emoji178]

Last edited:
Personally I have never had a problem with a Rabbit getting GI tract issues from Metacam. Dogs and Cats can do but they metabolise the drug much more slowly. Some antibiotics can cause anorexia and GI tract upset, but I don’t think he is on them now is he ?

Given the repeated episodes of apparent abdominal pain I am wondering if it may be urinary tract related rather than GI tract related.

Sorry my brain is fuzzled, has he had any blood tests yet ?

ETA any peppermint tea is fine, as is chamomile . Some Rabbits prefer the fruit teas, Raspberry an Cranberry seems popular here :)

Last edited:
Just a thought if he's enjoying his syringe food. Will he eat it from a bowl for you? Ironically Rodney only does this when he's feeling fine but it might be worth a try.

Also metacam mixed into a tiny bit of baby food or plain on a spoon is something Primrose would take herself as she liked the honeyish flavour.

I trained her by offering the spoon first and then if she refused I'd suck it back into the syringe and handle her and feed it, she soon got the idea. Although Rodney hasnt ever managed to make the association.

I'd always make sure they've eaten something before administering meds even if it's small just in case the meds do cause a belly upset. Although it's usually the antibiotics for this.

Does Mischief do a pee shuffle? Shifting about while peeing or only going after a period of activity? Or leave toothpaste like stains behind where he goes?

Personally I have never had a problem with a Rabbit getting GI tract issues from Metacam. Dogs and Cats can do but they metabolise the drug much more slowly. Some antibiotics can cause anorexia and GI tract upset, but I don’t think he is on them now is he ?

Given the repeated episodes of apparent abdominal pain I am wondering if it may be urinary tract related rather than GI tract related.

Sorry my brain is fuzzled, has he had any blood tests yet ?

ETA any peppermint tea is fine, as is chamomile . Some Rabbits prefer the fruit teas, Raspberry an Cranberry seems popular here :)
No he is no longer on antibiotics. Just Metacam and diuretics now.

No he hasn't had a blood test. We need to wait until payday unfortunately on 8th Feb.

I will try these different teas. As I said I have camomile and peppermint tea here plus I need more fruit teas for me anyway [emoji4]

Bless you as still not feeling well (hugs)xx

He is doing really well now. Ulcers have gone on the outside of his ear canal. His paw seems to be healing and looks much paler in colour as was red and sore looking before.

He looks all fluffy and white in the right places as not syringe fed him in 24 hours plus he is now grooming exceptionally well again. He is eating and pooping well and even eating pellets [emoji3]

He will take water now if we shake in his face a bit and more readily than before so we only syringe feed him water if we are giving him meds.

We left it 24 hours with the Metacam and he was still grinding his teeth under the bed. I don't actually know what is wrong. But something is still bothering him. Unless could he grind his teeth for other reasons? Stress perhaps? But we were quiet as I'd managed to get some sleep and we hadn't handled him in 24 hours!

Just a thought if he's enjoying his syringe food. Will he eat it from a bowl for you? Ironically Rodney only does this when he's feeling fine but it might be worth a try.

Also metacam mixed into a tiny bit of baby food or plain on a spoon is something Primrose would take herself as she liked the honeyish flavour.

I trained her by offering the spoon first and then if she refused I'd suck it back into the syringe and handle her and feed it, she soon got the idea. Although Rodney hasnt ever managed to make the association.

I'd always make sure they've eaten something before administering meds even if it's small just in case the meds do cause a belly upset. Although it's usually the antibiotics for this.

Does Mischief do a pee shuffle? Shifting about while peeing or only going after a period of activity? Or leave toothpaste like stains behind where he goes?

No we tried putting syringe food in a bowl and he didn't eat it. I will give it another shot.

He takes his Metacam from a syringe happily and we have to give him diuretic via a syringe anyway so we just do the both together.

Yes when he is not eating we give him a syringe feed first. We haven't tonight as his belly is full and he ate pellets and hay just before we gave him Metacam.

He is showing no signs of distress when peeing or toothpaste stains and now has a wet litter tray. So it does look like he is fine on that count though of course it's all a bit guesswork [emoji23]

I will keep eye on him. He may just be recovering from everything that has happened. It has been an ordeal bless him. He appears to be through the worst of it now * touches wood* so I'm happy. I've stopped counting his breathing rate so he must be doing better [emoji173]

Last edited:
Mr Chief is a lot more chilled out tonight...
7e86423586d28253938e452f23bc29e9.jpg

He looks very relaxed :love:

Was he actually tooth grinding or tooth chattering/purring. Rabbits do the latter when content, some do it in their sleep x

He looks very relaxed :love:

Was he actually tooth grinding or tooth chattering/purring. Rabbits do the latter when content, some do it in their sleep x
It was my partner who heard it when he was under the bed and he could hear it while sitting on bed. He does chatter his teeth quite loud and he is eating well so I will see how it goes xx

Aww, that photo is adorable! He looks so fluffy and comfortable. :love:

About the tooth grinding, I was wondering the same as IM when I read your post, whether it's not tooth purring instead. Some rabbits will do it when they're just resting. Sophie does it a lot while she's preparing for a nap, or when she's just very comfy. She's quite loud when she does it, too.

I've been observing him and do think it's just tooth purring as he does it when I stroke him aswell.

He is doing so well now! [emoji3] Drinking out of water bottle and bowl now plus guzzles down his food. He is dashing around and doing magnifient somersaults aswell. In fact I think he is better for losing some weight. Think he is a good size now with just a nice little tummy.

He still has a slight noise with his breathing but it is normal bpm now so I guess that he could always have a slight noisy breathing.

So we are really happy and just enjoying being with him [emoji178]

I'm also feeling a bit better and now able to sleep and have been catching up on zzzs and recuperating [emoji6] xxx

Back