• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help: Bunny fast breathing

Sorry for late update but I'm still not good [emoji22]

Mr Chief however has passed vets with flying colours. Vet says his ears are clear and really goid. His breathing is a bit fast and she said it could be the antibiotics. We are to stop them when he finishes course and see how he gets on.

Also need to gradually wean him off the Metacam. She didn't mention his paw to OH but we did ask her to check it so I presume it was ok.

He has been a bit moody since he came home. He stamped his foot in disgust when put him in carrier and his breathing got very fast straightaway. Think he is still recovering from the trips on bus and vet visit.

Lots of TLC for him tonight when I can manage it [emoji7]

So brilliant news! Thank you for everyone's support [emoji173][emoji173]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Great news for Mr Chief. Sending lots of vibes to you xx

So pleased to hear that Mr Chief’s Vet check up went well. But I am sorry that you are still really struggling. Do you think me and thee should consult a Vet rather than a Doctor ......:?

ETA Just seen your previous comment....great minds think alike :thumb::thumb:

Shame about our bodies though ...:roll:

So pleased to hear that Mr Chief’s Vet check up went well. But I am sorry that you are still really struggling. Do you think me and thee should consult a Vet rather than a Doctor ......:?
Maybe we would have more luck with vet. At this moment in time I would try just about anything [emoji23]

It's wearing me down a little each day as have hardly slept in days and I haven't seen Mr Chief eating much and no poops in last few hours again. We have resorted to counting his poops and writing them in diary now!!

OH is crashed out exhausted and need him to help with a syringe feed anyway. Will have to leave Mischief til morning and just hope he eats ok.

I think he may still be stressed from going to vets. His breathing was very fast in carrier apparently. He has been under the bed most of evening apart from a quick nibble of hay but we put hay under bed. Hopefully he will settle my morning.

On that note I'm going to 'try' and get some sleep too.
Speak soon folks xx

Maybe we would have more luck with vet. At this moment in time I would try just about anything [emoji23]

It's wearing me down a little each day as have hardly slept in days and I haven't seen Mr Chief eating much and no poops in last few hours again. We have resorted to counting his poops and writing them in diary now!!

OH is crashed out exhausted and need him to help with a syringe feed anyway. Will have to leave Mischief til morning and just hope he eats ok.

I think he may still be stressed from going to vets. His breathing was very fast in carrier apparently. He has been under the bed most of evening apart from a quick nibble of hay but we put hay under bed. Hopefully he will settle my morning.

On that note I'm going to 'try' and get some sleep too.
Speak soon folks xx

The Vet trip is probably what has stressed Mr C, but it was an essential journey. He will settle down again into his routine soon

Hoping everything going well with Mr Chief this morning, and hoping you manage to get a good sleep xx

Hoping everything going well with Mr Chief this morning, and hoping you manage to get a good sleep xx
Yes thanks he is doing well and eating nuggets tonight [emoji3]

I managed to get 3-4 hours which I think is mainly from complete exhaustion I think [emoji23] xx

Fingers crossed he will continue to do well, and you will be able to sleep more easily xx

Mr Chief has only a few really tiny poops this morning. Don't think he is drinking by himself still. We syringe fed him a little water before bed but he keeps spitting it out.

Left him with a bottle and bowl of water through the night. He doesn't appear to have eaten much either but his tummy feels really full. Or could that be gas? I don't know!

We rang PDSA and they said hold off on Loxicam and diuretic and syringe feed him water and ring back if still not better in 1-2 hours.

We fed him 10 mls water but again he dribbles a lot of it out and was an effort to get him to take that. OH is off to buy a new bottle for him in case it is running too fast as seemed quick when I checked again. And will try him with new bottle or else will syringe him water again.

I managed to get about 4 hours sleep so feel better for that but woke up in severe pain again. Just want something to let up and give us a break now [emoji22] xx

No it was damp rather than wet this morning.

We've given him another 10 mls water and he has done approx 20 fairly normal size poops so that's good. He also nibbled on veggies!

We will try him with new bottle and if not syringe feed water. How often should we do this please?

Could the diuretics be making him like this for some reason? Maybe they make him feel like he is not thirsty? Just wondered why he would eat but not drink water?

Hope you feeling bit better today Jane xx

Also just another thing...he doesn't want to drink out his bottle when we offer it. So we have been shaking it in his face annoying him a little so then he attacks it but kind of gives up and drinks some.

Are we doing the right thing? As don't want to put him off drinking. We only do it every few hours so not to stress him too much.

It's that or syringing him water. Thought bottle would be less stressful even if we do have to bother him to get him to drink?

He does not drink enough otherwise. We have left it to see what he does and he does not drink anything!

Wondered if this is common and is possulibly a sign of illness or bladder/urinary tract problems or kidneys? Or maybe stress? xx

Could it be he's not keen on water?

I'm now on a mission to get Rodney drinking more and have so far failed but have tried the following:

Warm water

Peppermint Tea

Camomile Tea

Nettle Tea

A tiny drop of pineapple juice in the water(although sugar makes this very difficult to judge whether it's worth it)

Watered down nuggets into a slushy paste - this one did work but it's not a great deal of water.

Coriander Tea made fresh - he drinks a tiny bit of this when I give it then loses interest when he realises theres no actual coriander.

Bio Lapis sachet dissolved in water

Still left to try:

Cranberry Tea

Raspberry and Strawberry Tea

Pro C water additive

And then I'm going to try combinations of the above and see if I get anywhere with those if I keep failing.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Are you adding the Pro C to his water ?

I would try to do the minimum hands on care for him as it could be that he is getting very stressed by it all. He will be getting some water from any Veg he eats.

Have you tried him on bottled water. I can’t remember what the issue is re him using a water bowl.

Sorry my post is brief, I am in agony today and my eyesight is getting worse x

Could it be he's not keen on water?

I'm now on a mission to get Rodney drinking more and have so far failed but have tried the following:

Warm water

Peppermint Tea

Camomile Tea

Nettle Tea

A tiny drop of pineapple juice in the water(although sugar makes this very difficult to judge whether it's worth it)

Watered down nuggets into a slushy paste - this one did work but it's not a great deal of water.

Coriander Tea made fresh - he drinks a tiny bit of this when I give it then loses interest when he realises theres no actual coriander.

Bio Lapis sachet dissolved in water

Still left to try:

Cranberry Tea

Raspberry and Strawberry Tea

Pro C water additive

And then I'm going to try combinations of the above and see if I get anywhere with those if I keep failing.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Wow loads of ideas there thank you!

I've tried mint in boiled water and parsley in boiled water. I haven't tried any of the others though so will go through the list. He is especially partial to coriander so will try that next.

I do find his wet veggies is usually enough as he has a wet litter tray. But at moment he is not eating as much and litter tray is damp or slightly wet most days.

Good luck getting Rodney to drink water. Little pickles aren't they! I do think he is a pampered pet though and gets fickle. In the wild rabbits don't have flavoured water [emoji23][emoji23] xx

I can’t remember if you’ve said before, but have you tried him with water in a bowl? Sometimes you need to put it under the spout of a bottle so they get the idea but bunnies usually prefer bowls and tend to drink more from them, although there are always exceptions!

Are you adding the Pro C to his water ?

I would try to do the minimum hands on care for him as it could be that he is getting very stressed by it all. He will be getting some water from any Veg he eats.

Have you tried him on bottled water. I can’t remember what the issue is re him using a water bowl.

Sorry my post is brief, I am in agony today and my eyesight is getting worse x
Don't worry about posting on here when you are in so much pain Jane! Just concentrate on yourself :hugs: xx

The Pro C didn't turn up. Had a delivery problem and haven't re-ordered it yet with being so exhausted [emoji53] Ended up getting alfafa at horse shop instead aswell.

We have a bowl in cage aswell. He caught him drinking a little today. We think it might be due to his sore paw.

Will keep handling to minimum and just offer bottle gently while he is on floor level. He should hopefully settle down soon. Maybe just a case of being patient and offering water xx

I can’t remember if you’ve said before, but have you tried him with water in a bowl? Sometimes you need to put it under the spout of a bottle so they get the idea but bunnies usually prefer bowls and tend to drink more from them, although there are always exceptions!
He has 2 bottles now as bought a new one today plus a bowl of water in the corner. It does go down on a slope in that corner so I will try putting it under a bottle of water.

Trouble is then the bowl of water is more 'in the way' so he will probably end up getting cage wet or bathing in it himself. He has so far managed to dip both ears in it, nudge and drag it about, pick it up with his teeth,try to tip it over and delicately perch his bum on it. Most of these end up with him getting all wet so once again I have to towel dry him off! :rolls eyes:

On a good note, he is back to his feisty self wriggling and writhing in OH's arms and attacking the syringes. He has a lovely big full tummy and he looks all bright and bushy tailed again [emoji3] xx

Back