• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help: Bunny fast breathing

Thank you everyone for all your support and kind words throughout Mischief's run of ill health. We would have struggled to get through it without you [emoji175][emoji175][emoji175]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

We've just noticed that one of his toes has a swelling at base of nail. It is a pale pink colour and doesn't look infected. I noticed these before but not so swollen. Is is normal or does it look like he has an infection? He has had tonnes of antibiotics recently. Wouldn't that have got rid of infection? Sorry yet another issue. Thought may as well just keep to the same thread. He seems to have his own one going now [emoji23]

We've just noticed that one of his toes has a swelling at base of nail. It is a pale pink colour and doesn't look infected. I noticed these before but not so swollen. Is is normal or does it look like he has an infection? He has had tonnes of antibiotics recently. Wouldn't that have got rid of infection? Sorry yet another issue. Thought may as well just keep to the same thread. He seems to have his own one going now [emoji23]

Without being able to see it myself it’s hard to say if it is normal or not. Can you post a photo ?

This image is of a Rabbit with Pododermatitis, AKA ‘Bumblefoot’- like Sore hocks but effecting the toes

ybN0kFG.jpg

Without being able to see it myself it’s hard to say if it is normal or not. Can you post a photo ?

This image is of a Rabbit with Pododermatitis, AKA ‘Bumblefoot’- like Sore hocks but effecting the toes

ybN0kFG.jpg
Oh god! I doubt he will let me take a pic. He pulls his paw away sharply when I try to examine it! The sore patch he has on his paw where the dew claw has been digging in is like Bumblefoot.

This is a swelling right at the base of the nail itself. Sorry I said toe didn't I! I will try and find a similar pic online. I have been bathing it in salt water along with the other sore paw in case it helps xx

This is best I could do as my phone is rubbish! The base of the nail is swollen and looks like very slight broken skin there xx
eb3904ef650b30a2296dce49e0bede23.jpg

It doesn’t seem to look infected but it’s impossible to say for certain from the photo. It looks as though there is just some fur loss, but you say it is actually swollen ?

That looks like the fur loss stage of the sore hocks Primrose had on her toes. Although we never had any swelling.

Rodney also got them when we tried Carefresh bedding as his toes were always wet as he sat in the used stuff [emoji849]

Has Mischief had a change in surface he exercises on that he could have rubbed it off?

Or if he's moving around a lot more now he's recovered and I think you said getting to a more healthy weight?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

It doesn’t seem to look infected but it’s impossible to say for certain from the photo. It looks as though there is just some fur loss, but you say it is actually swollen ?
It seems more swollen than the others. I don't think it's clear from the photo but it's right on the nail base where nail meets the toe rather than underside of the toe. All his toes have this pink bulgey bit but this one is bigger xx

Last edited:
That looks like the fur loss stage of the sore hocks Primrose had on her toes. Although we never had any swelling.

Rodney also got them when we tried Carefresh bedding as his toes were always wet as he sat in the used stuff [emoji849]

Has Mischief had a change in surface he exercises on that he could have rubbed it off?

Or if he's moving around a lot more now he's recovered and I think you said getting to a more healthy weight?

His surface hasn't been changed but he is in our bedroom and the carpet is quite rough.

He is running around more. Maybe it's from that. I'm going to bathe it in salt water a few times a day and see if it improves xx

If it is a rubbing issue then I think wet treatments may not be the best method but Jane has lots more experience than I do with those.

We used barrier creams like vaseline (alright but bun hated and flattened the fur she did have so made things worse), sudocream did quite a good job but getting bun not to eat much of it was hard and we'd just started using F10 ointment not long before she passed but seemed to be helping.

Could you try covering the carpet area with a cotton covering like a bed sheet/duvet and see if it helps?

Ah yes I used Sudocrem on my last bunny who had urine scald due to not being able to move well at the end of her days [emoji22] That did work although she did lick it off. I have some in the house I could try for now and could get some F10. Thanks [emoji6]

We have kids duvet where he lies but he is an absolute nightmare and pushes it all to the side and still lies on the carpet [emoji23]

We have a huge bedroom and he dashes around it and down our hallway which is really long aswell and carpeted recently. It would be impossible to cover all the areas he runs about. We are thinking of getting some soft rugs to put around.

We did put blankets under the bed under the bed posts and around the room for my last bun as she wasn't good near the end. I think I will do that again at least until his paw heals up and hopefully look at getting some rugs once paid off vet bills with family. Thank you. It has got me thinking maybe flooring could be the problem xx

We've covered the bedroom in sheets and blankets. It looks like we are decorating the place! [emoji23][emoji23]

Mr Chief liked it though. He has been dashing about on the sheet under the bed and doing binkies and now crashed on it [emoji7]

Mischief's breathing is really fast again and he keeps grinding his teeth. I don't know what's wrong as checked him over. His paw is still a bit sore and his nail bed is still swollen. I can't see anything else to show he is in pain or anything [emoji24]

We just gave him 0.5 mls of Metacam to see if it helps but I'm not sure that is enough to make any difference. I'm ringing a vet now but we can't take him tonight to emergency as cost is £185 plus travel. Will keep you posted xx

Sending vibes for Mischief. I hope he starts feeling better. Apologies I've not had much input but I have been looking in on the thread.
Craig xx

Back