• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help: Bunny fast breathing

Wonderful news ! I am so pleased for you and Mischief, he is so lucky to be in your care. Hope your neck feels better soon xx

Thank you everyone for your posts. I'm so happy Mr Chief is better. I actually shouted 'yippee' couple of times with relief. Neighbours must think the lockdown has sent me over the edge! [emoji23][emoji23]

I am feeling a bit better as got some strong anti-inflammatories yesterday. I'm high on life now that Mischief is much better anyway [emoji3]

[emoji178][emoji178][emoji178]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

So Mischief has gone a bit downhill again [emoji22]

He has been really down last couple of days I think. Not so excited about life and just lethargic. He gradually started going off his food yesterday and we kept encouraging him as he was eating a little on his own and pooping.

Last night he kept turning his nose up to food and his poops dwindled down to nothing over a few hours so we started syringe feeding him late last night. He is literally wolfing down his food so felt guilty that didn't do it earlier but we were trying not to stress him out.

He is now pooping again (although they are a bit smaller) and is due another feed/meds in an hour. He is also not drinking and hasn't been for days. We have been holding bottle to him for water.

We think we have found the answer. His dew claw grows sideways in to bottom of his foot and although it had not grown much it was a bit sharp. I missed it on check last as it is buried under so much fur but he has a really sore spot about size of a small pea. It looks very inflamed but doesn't appear to be broken skin or bleeding.

So we are now soaking his foot in salt water few times a day aswell. Hopefully he will improve from that but if he isn't any better by tomorrow we will take him to vets in morning.

Sorry I've not really been on forum as still have bad neck and terrible nerve pain. Feeling a little better this morning as pain calmed down but not had hardly any sleep in 3 days again. So forgive me for not posting on many threads recently to chat and send vibes to other buns.

However if you have any free time I know Mr Chief would love any vibes sent his way. And I could definitely do with some aswell. I'm so exhausted and struggling now tbh. It's been nonstop for 6 weeks now and my health is really taking it's toll [emoji22]

Thank you kind people. I will update you when I'm up for it.

Sorry he’s not well again and that you are also struggling:cry: sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Oh, I'm so sorry Mr. Chief has gone a bit downhill again, and that he has a sore foot. =( I hope he'll feel better soon, and that you'll feel better soon as well, and can catch up on some sleep. I know it can be so hard to care for an ill animal when you have health problems yourself. Sending lots of vibes for you both, and I hope Mischief will start eating and drinking by himself again soon.

Oh bless him, hope he's feeling back to his normal little self soon. Sending him loads of vibes, and loads for you too xx

Thank you everyone! [emoji4]

He wolfed down his feed again and has done lots of good poops! Yippee! He also had a hop about chewing his toys and nibbled on hay in his cardboard box [emoji7]

Hopefully his paw will mend quickly. He is doing a little limp thing at the moment bless him [emoji22]xx

I had a bunny with infected dew claw. She was under GA (for something else) & still reacted when it was examined so must have been painful. I hope he picks up again soon.

Thank you everyone! [emoji4]

He wolfed down his feed again and has done lots of good poops! Yippee! He also had a hop about chewing his toys and nibbled on hay in his cardboard box [emoji7]

Hopefully his paw will mend quickly. He is doing a little limp thing at the moment bless him [emoji22]xx

Good boy :love:

Just a quick update today as I'm struggling with pain issues at moment. It's been a rough few days with Mischief needing syringe feeding and his paw bathed as I've not slept hardly at all. The odd hour here and there when despite the pain I pass out anyway. Thank you for all your posts though [emoji4]

So I'm very relieved to report that Mr Chief is doing really well. He has eaten loads of veggies and hay this morning and seems a lot brighter. He is done loads of poops aswell.

We gave him small syringe feed just to make sure his tummy had food ready for meds and he had 40mls water. He was a lot feistier when we fed him which is always a good sign and my OH struggled to hold him [emoji23]

Always makes me happy to see him being a pickle as that means he is more like himself. So positive progress.

I need to check his paw and bathe it but looked better yesterday after bathing and obviously now that the nasty dew claw has been removed.

My OH is taking him to vets for a check up today as I not able to go. We need to check if he needs more antibiotics anyway plus this will be his first check up by exotic vets on his breathing since his X-ray. Hopefully all will be well there.

Will let you know how it goes at vets [emoji3]

Last edited:
Glad to hear that Mr Chief has rallied again and I hope that he gets on OK at his check up with the Vet.

I am with you in the pain boat.... xx

I’m glad he is doing better. I hope the vets visit goes well, and that you are feeling better soon xx

Sorry for late update but I'm still not good [emoji22]

Mr Chief however has passed vets with flying colours. Vet says his ears are clear and really goid. His breathing is a bit fast and she said it could be the antibiotics. We are to stop them when he finishes course and see how he gets on.

Also need to gradually wean him off the Metacam. She didn't mention his paw to OH but we did ask her to check it so I presume it was ok.

He has been a bit moody since he came home. He stamped his foot in disgust when put him in carrier and his breathing got very fast straightaway. Think he is still recovering from the trips on bus and vet visit.

Lots of TLC for him tonight when I can manage it [emoji7]

So brilliant news! Thank you for everyone's support [emoji173][emoji173]

Glad to hear that Mr Chief has rallied again and I hope that he gets on OK at his check up with the Vet.

I am with you in the pain boat.... xx
Aw bless you. I thought would leave messaging you for a while as you in pain. Really hope you feel better soon. Thank you for everything and take care of yourself [emoji178]

Back