• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help, Im worried bout Mitsy's babies

maryflynn

Warren Scout
Im very concerned, the babies are eight days old and until this morning everything has gone great. When i came down stairs I found a baby in the run of the pen not in the nest just squirming around. I quickly put Mitz out in the garden so i could put it back n checked it over n it was warm n had a full tum or so it seemed, them i noticed another one, but this one was in the litter box she has in the run.. the reason this concerns me is bcos i doubt the kits could get all the waay out of their nest, into the main part of the cage then down the ramp onto the run's floor then up a good 3ish inches into the litter tray.. not poss is it? I think mitz may have moved them, the 2nd was warm too so maybe not out that long but now surely Mitz will kno iv interfered by putting them back... is this the start of her rejecting them.. god i hope not, shes bin so good till now :cry:

Hiya - I'm sorry to hear about your worries re the Kits - I have no experience to help on this one I'm afraid but I'm sure there will be someone on line sooooon who can give some help for you.

they could just have still been hanging on suckling when she had, had enough and so as she went down stairs they went with her and then let go. As she has no way of returning them to the nest that is why you found them were you have.
Just keep an eye on them over the course of today.

Hi, a rabbit cannot carry its young, what often happens at feeding time is she will jump out of the nest suddenly, especially if something startles her and the kits will still be suckling and get dragged out. As she then can't put them back they will be left to chill and die although some does will put nesting material around a stranded kit to keep it warm until help arrives.

Its always a good idea to check all kits are safely tucked up morning and last thing at night as this is when she will usually have fed them. If kits are cold when found warm them up before replacing them in the nest.

Don't worry it doesn't mean she is rejecting them and once back in the nest she will feed them along with the others.

Yvonne

I think you're right thanks alot

Also today i know this is true as whilst sat at the table Mitz went in to feed them and then just quickly jerked out, as she did this about 3 kits came with her into the main part of the cage, i was gonna put them back but my boyf said i should let them alone for a minute to see what they did n they sure enough started scrambling back, mitz also went back every 5-10 mins to check on them so im sure it was nothing suspect after all :)

Back