• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking to adopt

Meesha

New Kit
Hi everyone

I have a 6 yr old boy who is desperate for a furry companion so I'd like to get a rabbit/s for him.

Please can you advise on housing, I was looking at the Omlet eglu with a run but lots of negative comments. My concern about wooden housing is that the wood never dries out from wees etc and then ends up getting mouldy/rotting.

Also, what would suit a 6 yr old who has never had a pet before? I was thinking about young rabbits.

Thanks

Meesha

I'm sorry I can't help with housing, since it sounds like you're looking for housing for outside and I have house bunnies, but for the rabbits themselves, I'd recommend getting adult rabbits from a bigger breed. Children are often tempted to pick up rabbits, which most rabbits don't like, and many rabbits get injuries from incorrect handling. With bigger rabbits, this isn't as much of a problem, because kids won't be able to easily pick them up the way they can with smaller, younger rabbits. With adult rabbits, the rescue will also have a much clearer idea of what the rabbits' personalities are like, plus getting a bonded pair of adults will be much easier for you than getting young rabbits that will need to be spayed/neutered and then bonded. Young rabbits are often very sweet and easy as babies, but once puberty arrives they can be a handful. Adult rabbits will have left all of that behind them and will have settled into their personalities, so it'll be much easier to tell if they're suitable for a household with a child.

I'm sorry I can't help with housing, since it sounds like you're looking for housing for outside and I have house bunnies, but for the rabbits themselves, I'd recommend getting adult rabbits from a bigger breed. Children are often tempted to pick up rabbits, which most rabbits don't like, and many rabbits get injuries from incorrect handling. With bigger rabbits, this isn't as much of a problem, because kids won't be able to easily pick them up the way they can with smaller, younger rabbits. With adult rabbits, the rescue will also have a much clearer idea of what the rabbits' personalities are like, plus getting a bonded pair of adults will be much easier for you than getting young rabbits that will need to be spayed/neutered and then bonded. Young rabbits are often very sweet and easy as babies, but once puberty arrives they can be a handful. Adult rabbits will have left all of that behind them and will have settled into their personalities, so it'll be much easier to tell if they're suitable for a household with a child.

Thank you, that's really helpful.

I would recommend having a read of the Rabbit Welfare Association's website where you will find lots of excellent advice regarding Rabbits.

I’m just wondering whether your little boy is looking for a pet which enjoys being picked up and cuddled, which rabbits don’t , and will quickly lose interest?
Sorry,I know that wasn’t your question but just thought I’d mention.

Welcome to RU

I'm not sure rabbits would be the best option to meet your boys furry companion needs. Occassionally you get really sociable bunnies who don't mind be picked up but they are a minority & generally rabbits interact with you on their own terms..or not at all:lol:. Its unwise to move rabbits from inside to outside so any interaction with the bunny would be limited during cold & wet weather. That said, playhouses & aviaries allow you to spend time with them & keep dry. If you do decide bunnies are right for your family please get a pair - as sociable beasts they do not fair well alone.

Its great you mention rescue -I would actually contact a reputable rescue & say what your needs are & they may find the perfect pet (which may or may not be rabbits)

I concur the RWAF is excellent at all kinds of useful info, incl housing

Hi and welcome! :) Rabbits can easily be litter trained so I wouldn't worry about wood rotting. Also you can put lino down to protect it. Sheds/playhouses are the best option for outside and aviary runs are fab if you have the space.

I’m just wondering whether your little boy is looking for a pet which enjoys being picked up and cuddled, which rabbits don’t , and will quickly lose interest?
Sorry,I know that wasn’t your question but just thought I’d mention.

He may well be, very valid point, thank you. He loves dogs because of the interaction but I don't want to get a dog. I may take him to a pet store to see what he thinks of rabbits. I used to have rabbits as a kid and really enjoyed them, mine were very sociable although also didn't like to be picked up, now I know why!

Thank you everyone, would definitely look at getting a bonded pair from a rescue. IN terms of housing, I was thinking about one of the hutches from Ryedale Pet Homes with a large run attached. Also something similar from Home and Roost. What are your thoughts regarding these please?

Hello Meesha, welcome to the forum :)

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have to agree with Joey&Boo. there are exceptions but generally imo rabbits are very tricky pets, especially for children as they often do not like being picked up etc. they are not the cuddly fluffballs that they appear to be & have complicated needs. they can also be very expensive with medical bills.

Thank you everyone, would definitely look at getting a bonded pair from a rescue. IN terms of housing, I was thinking about one of the hutches from Ryedale Pet Homes with a large run attached. Also something similar from Home and Roost. What are your thoughts regarding these please?

I used to have a Ryedale double hutch, it was ridiculously heavy (trying to get it through the house was a nightmare, so think about access!) It was very well made though and lasted. When I moved house I bought a shed with an attached aviary style walk in run with a hatch from the shed to it. The buns have half the 8x6 shed with a dividing wall of mesh and a door, the rest is used for hay storage etc.
Bunnies are wonderful, but are delicate creatures. If you personally want a bunny then get one and enjoy their wonderful ways. If you want a pet for your son, then perhaps a guinea pig would be easier to handle (they also don’t need all the vaccinations that bunnies do!).

Welcome to the forum and I love that you’re researching about getting a pet x

Shed and run or better still shed and aviary combos make the best outdoor housing imo. Also better for interaction in all weathers.

Ryedale have great quality products.

Thank you, we have side access. I know it would be me taking care of the bunnies so debating having them indoors. In some ways a lot easier as we have a big kitchen with only one or two electric cables that would need protecting so they could free range there. I work from home so would be on hand. It's hard to know where to site a hutch and run in the garden and I don't think we have the space for a shed and aviary. Been thinking about a guinea pig too, I have a friend who I think fosters them so may ask her. Will keep checking in with my son re what he wants for a pet.

Now debating indoor housing, what do you have please? We have a large kitchen where they could free range but wondering about what sort of accommodating for them to hide in.

definitely not going to rush into this, I would love rabbits but would defeat the object if they were just for me and my son wasn't interested at all!

I have a herd of 5 guinea pigs on table tops with a c and c cage. They must be kept with company of their own kind. They are lovely gentle creatures. Like rabbits they are prey animals so slow careful handling is needed. I also have 2 house rabbits who live in the same room as the guinea pigs (our spare room). They have a 10 x 6 foot space to run around in and two 32 litre underbed storage boxes full of newspaper and hay.

Their fave place to hang out is right next to the warm pipes that feed into the radiator!

The g.pigs like to hide under their ikea dolls beds.

The down side to kitchen living would be cooking smells. I have a puppy pen to keep my rabbits contained, held in place with heavy furniture and closed with dog lead clips for easy access.

My grandson is now 6 and he wanted a bunny when he was 4. When I got my house bunny Mischief we decided he was a little young for a pet and so told my grandson Mischief was his bunny too.

He loves Mischief but he soon lost interest in him. Unfortunately young children do that. I would advise you to think carefully as to whether you would happily be the person to take care of it and give it the time and commitment it deserves.

And definitely consider getting a bonded pair as others have suggested. They would be company for each other and be much happier than one little bunny outside on his/her own.

Good luck [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

My sister got a pair of lops for then 6 year old nephew, they were friendly and would sit still to be stroked but he lost interest in a couple of weeks sadly. This was after a long time of asking for them too! I have guinea pigs and they were also my first pet as a young child, my sister lost interest quickly so I did all the feeding etc. I've had 10 all together at various points and only 2 were able to be picked up without being scared and would sit still and enjoy our company, but I did really enjoy watching the others running around and interacting with each other etc they've just always been very timid and run and hide when hands are in the cage. I hope you come to a decision you'll all be happy with :) I currently have a free range rabbit in my kitchen as she had to be split from my upstairs pair and it's working well for us, we do have to be very careful when walking around as she's always under our feet! We have a large dog crate under a counter as a base for some shelter and shut her in with some toys if we're cooking so she's safe.

Back