• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and roaming cats

Morisek

New Kit
We have usually let the rabbits exercise daily outside their run in our rabbit-proofed garden. Have never before noticed cats roaming in our backyard. Until today. Bunnies have hiding places as well as their hutch but were very scared by a visit from a cat, which I chased off. Are cats a real threat to bunnies? Is there any advice to deal with this? I would like to let the bunnies roam free in the garden, which they seem to enjoy, but am a bit worried by this event. Thanks for any advice.

yes, cats are a threat. not all of them but I would not risk it at all.
very difficult to prevent them getting in. I have netting and chicken wire but still have the occasional one in. imo unfortunately the only ones that do still come in are those that are the biggest threat as I think the casual visitors are discouraged enough by the wire & netting.
some are just curious but others have been in definite stalking mode.

Yeah even if the cat doesn't want to kill the rabbits (which some do) they could still scratch or bite them when playing or if frightened.

Rabbits have really delicate skin and they can easily get a life threatening infection from the bacteria in a cat's nails or saliva.

Personally I wouldn’t risk having rabbits free roaming in case of predators or escape, better to provide a large rabbit and predator proof run for them attached to their accommodation so it’s permanently available.

You could try a water pistol as Cats do not like getting wet. There have been quite a few casualties in the past year devastating their owners.

Have a pre-loaded large water pistol / Nerf gun to hand and blast any cat coming in. They do get the message, and the bigger pistols have a good range and accuracy. It's quite satisfying and does no harm to the cat, but you have to be persistent until it gets the message. Some rabbits will see off cats, but they are still at risk. Cats get curious and can cause a lot of damage with just a swipe of a paw.

We had cat deterrent machines that would make a high-pitched sound when motion activated. It helped to discourage cats from coming in but I never left the girls unsupervised in the garden despite having these set up.
They didn't seem to bother the bunnies, just the cats.

You still have to consider birds of prey are also a threat and short of putting betting over the entire garden, you cant prevent them from getting in.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Personally I wouldn’t risk having rabbits free roaming in case of predators or escape, better to provide a large rabbit and predator proof run for them attached to their accommodation so it’s permanently available.

I agree with this totally. I have an indoor bunny, and a cat, they are well used to each other, but I would never ever leave them alone in a room without me being there. A swipe from a cat could have devastating consequences unfortunately.

You still have to consider birds of prey are also a threat and short of putting betting over the entire garden, you cant prevent them from getting in.
Big trees and washing lines are a massive deterrent for raptors too, as they need to be able to leave when they've landed, and quickly, of they become prey to cats too. Goshawks are the only real (UK native) exception to tree and line cover as they hunt in forests. Corvids are a bigger threat IME. But cats are bigger still: we've never had issues with birds here, even magpies (which I love but can be problematic: stabby beaks) but cats send ours into the playhouse and a stamp fest, and one of them grew up with cats :roll:

Back