• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buying from a breeder..

Selpmis

New Kit
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I've been looking for an elder doe to bond with my 9yo buck who I am concerned might be lonely at times.

Ideally I'm looking to rescue, but I've come across an advert selling a 5yo netherland dwarf that is bred for show rabbits. The price is £30.

After a bit of digging around I've found that she has been bred all her life, with her last litter being stillborn. So now, she is being put into 'retirement' and looking for a forever home.

I've arranged to go on Monday to take a look and possibly (in my eyes) rescue her. But inevitably I will be paying to support the mass breeding by this individual.

She breeds rabbits for 'fun' and to compete in shows and doesn't appear to have any issues selling them when she is done.

The images I've seen of the place so far look like all the rabbits are housed in small hutches. I don't know the level of enrichment they get but the seller seems to be clued up on rabbit welfare.

Wanted to hear the thoughts of others on this?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think if you feel this is the right thing for you to do then go for it. This Rabbit will either be re-homes to someone like you or possibly put down. So whoever buys her will in effect be saving her life. As she has been bred from a lot, she still might become broody but she might not, this is a risk you would be taking. If she does get broody you would have to understand why she is acting this way and even if you have her spayed she still might get broody, although she might not! I hope I have helped you to make a decision.

I know a lot of people will say that you are enabling breeding by buying this bunny but I feel so sorry for her - having litter after litter and her last babies being stillborn. I think she deserves a good home with someone who will allow her to live her remaining life being allowed to just be a bunny without constantly giving birth and nursing kits. She must be exhausted and, like Tonibun, I do wonder what will happen to her if no-one wants her.

It would be nice if the breeder had vaccinated and neutered her before rehoming. At least she is getting another chance, and better giving her a home than one of her offspring, or her going via a rescue.

If you do get her I’d arrange for a spay ASAP, with a chest X-ray and full blood profile first. A stillborn or aborted litter is an indicator of Uterine Adenocarcinoma

https://www.canr.msu.edu/uploads/219/38708/Uterine_Adenocarcinoma_in_Rabbits_Jan-Feb_20130001.pdf

She will also need to be quarantined from your current Rabbit for at least 2 weeks. Hopefully your Rabbit is fully up to date with his vaccinations ? If not it will be a huge risk bringing an unvaccinated Rabbit from a multi Rabbit set up into your home. I very much doubt that the Doe will be vaccinated

I would want to 'rescue' her from her breeding life. I wouldn't have thought of any of the things Jane has cautioned above, but of course she is absolutely right. It wouldn't stop me taking her but I would then consider what Jane suggests.
I think she deserves a new life.

If you do get her I’d arrange for a spay ASAP, with a chest X-ray and full blood profile first. A stillborn or aborted litter is an indicator of Uterine Adenocarcinoma

https://www.canr.msu.edu/uploads/219/38708/Uterine_Adenocarcinoma_in_Rabbits_Jan-Feb_20130001.pdf

She will also need to be quarantined from your current Rabbit for at least 2 weeks. Hopefully your Rabbit is fully up to date with his vaccinations ? If not it will be a huge risk bringing an unvaccinated Rabbit from a multi Rabbit set up into your home. I very much doubt that the Doe will be vaccinated

Another great post from Jane. The only thing I can add is that I am sure you will give this bunny the sort of life she deserves. One of my current bunnies, Heidi, was acquired from a rabbit show at a county fair that was put on by 4H youth group. Her 'breeder' was a 13 year old boy who was doing an agricultural project. He was ending his project and happy she was becoming a beloved pet and I never regretted taking her home. Heidi still has a tattoo in her ear that was used to identify her during her short time as a show bunny.

I would also ask the vet to check her teeth while she is anaesthetised - Nethies can get dental problems, and these will be seen and dealt with if needed at the same time. They may not be noticed while she is conscious (awkward to see properly on bigger rabbits, and Nethie skulls are so small) - so you may as well have a top to toe MOT done.

Back