• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house rabbit accommodation and breed question....

sarattie

Alpha Buck
Hi there

Was just wondering how many of you on here have house bunnies?
Buddy is my first house bunny. Once i moved n to my own place which had no garden it kinda came naturally! Ive now had buddy for 7 years and in the same rabbt 100 (as seen on bunnybazzaar) but would ike to know what other people house theer indoor rabbits in. Obviously during the day bud is out but he likes to have his own pad for sleeping adn hangin out!!

Also as im new to ths forum im not sure whereabouts i should ask about breeds of rabbits... im interested in getting a french lop. does anyon have any experience or top tips?

thanks

sarah

Hii, I thought id write as I don’t know how many people are on at this time of night (11:45). My rabbit is a house rabbit, but he use to be an outdoor rabbit. He lives in an indoor rabbit cage for now, he has his door open all day so he can come in and out whenever he likes. But he tends to stay in his cage a lot as his an old bunny at 13 yrs. He likes me to get him out and then his active, rather then him come out himself :roll:
I am looking to get a play pen and dog cage for more room.

Hi ?Toby?
Thanks for replying I cant imagin why no one is onlne at this time...? What else is there to do an a saturday night!!!! lol!!! :lol:

13 crikey he is an old boy!! My 1st bunny Rags was 15 when he passed away and he was suh a size!! he was the bun which got me hooked!! My milkman gave him to my dad when I was born so i guess i kinda grew up with him!

Bud has his door open and like toby he often justs lays out on his vetbed in the cage and has to be coaxed out! then he wil hop up on the sofa for a snuggle then after that le out in front of the fire... in case we have it on!!! LOl stupid boy!!

what indoor cage ddo you have? we don t really have the need for a pen asuch as he has the run of the place, and never wonders out of the front room!! lazieness sets in!!!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1940

This might help - there were loads of pics posted of peoples indoor accomodation!

If you want a French lop you could ring a few local rescues and register your details, when they get a french lop in they will let you know!

Zeus is a giant breed (big bigger than a french lop) the thing to remember about housing giants is they love to stretch right out and stand on their back legs (and they are twice the size of a normal rabbit so need twice the room to do this), so you need to find accomodation that meets these needs as well as allowing room for a litter tray.

This page off the main RR home site has some tips: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/giantrabbits.asp

Caz

P.S. ooh another person from Reading area!

Thanks for that caz
my Boyf nearly had a heart attack looking at some of those set ups!!! h fears the whole house is going to be taken over!!!! LOL

We have a simple rabbit 100 which is always open. Buddy is a lounger so so long as there is plenty of soft stretch out room hes happy!!

thanks ofr links

Gosh 15 year old rabbit, are we still talking about rabbits lol....thats a great age for a bun! I hope Toby hits that age, we will see in a couple of years :wink: .

We have a two year old French lop living indoors. We keep him in the biggest dog crate we could find. You can pick them up on Ebay for about half the price the pet shops ask. He's the laziest rabbit in the world. The majority of the day is spent stretched out on the floor, snoozing. He's very clean and littered trained himself from day one.

The food bill for a big bunny is going to be more than for a little one, and you'll need bigger accomodation for him, but overall he's a lot easier to care for than our little bunnies. He's so much calmer and easier to please. He has a much less sensitive tummy too. As long as he has somewhere comfy to snooze, a big pile of hay to munch on and someone nearby for pester for a tickle, he's happy.

Hiya Sarah

French Lops eh!! - awwww those bunnies are sooooo cute :)

Buffs, Cagney and Zac are all indoor house bunns - the Two Girls have a Dez Rez Garage conversion with access to another small room and then a romp out in the garden and Zac at the moment has his own bedroom :roll: :roll: Yep I know - I'm completely bonkers! - I'm lucky though that all my bunsters are litter trained and non destructive - they have loads of willow toys etc which I think helps as they tend to chew on these rather than the furniture :D :D (Thank Heavens - or I feel instant divorce coming on!!)

Hope you manage to get a Big Frenchie Bunny - Happy Bunny Hunting!

:lol: thanks Lany!

Im lucky in the non destructive department too. Infact I cant get bud to chew anything at all!!!
we alwas have the conservatory doors open so outside is an option but if i want him to go i have to take hime on his harness and actually go with him!! He doesnt like the oudoors!! i guess its much more cosey and warm inside!!!

Buffs Cagney and Zach look sweeties! A whole own bedroom huh!! lucky!! Buddy has the front room. I cant believe house rabbits werent 'invented' when i was a kid!! Everone thought I was wierd when i first got buddy (i didnt have a garden then at all) that was 7 years ago, now it seems pretty normal and i proved my family all wrong about bunnies!!!!

four! sounds like great fun!
have you any pics of the dog crate set up? Im looking to upgrade buddys apartment!!! LOL

I have seven house rabbits, here are some of the cages... they are all at least 1.50m (5'), except for Magic's and Angel's, but they will soon move into a 5' cage too.

RabbitCageSingle2000.jpg
Benji and Pippa bottom, Sunny up. (This is an old picture where Benji and Pippa had the whole double deck cage to themselves, they now only occupy the bottom part...)

Cages2%201204.jpg

Bottom: three crates added together to a 1.6m cage for Apollo and Charlie.
On top, 1m crate for Angel (and various other cages for small furries next and on top of that).

I love the first one but cant see my boy using 2 levels. he seems a bit big fo the little ladders and hes getting on a bit!
thanks for pics helps give me some ideas!

I have two sets of house rabbits, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. They have trays of hay and rugs to lie on, but do not have cages. The kitchen rabbits go out to run in the garden, and the bathroom rabbits run about upstairs.

Back